Is March Madness So Bad This Year?

Razors Edge

There is not a great amount of parity in WCB but this year the elite 8 had some pretty good teams involved.  Baylor was a shocker as they should have been one of the 1 seeds.  Finding them in the 8 against UCONN was a surprise.  The game was very entertaining with each team well on it's way to winning at one point or another.

10 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

suppose so

I know my oldest son is.  He sneered at women's sports in general till last night's game go interesting.  Then all of a sudden he was watching.  Youngest son is incensed that women would want the same salary as men for playing professional soccer.  

17 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I know my oldest son is.  He sneered at women's sports in general till last night's game go interesting.  Then all of a sudden he was watching.  Youngest son is incensed that women would want the same salary as men for playing professional soccer.  

I enjoy all basketball.  I have been known to pull over at a park to watch local guys going at it 3 on 3.  I enjoy women's ball.  I watched some over the weekend.  I enjoy the men's game more.  As for soccer as with any pro sports - it should be based on the financial draw of the game. 

24 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I enjoy all basketball.  I have been known to pull over at a park to watch local guys going at it 3 on 3.  I enjoy women's ball.  I watched some over the weekend.  I enjoy the men's game more.  As for soccer as with any pro sports - it should be based on the financial draw of the game. 

You realize that the women just got an upgrade from coach by court order.  They have been treated very poorly and I suspect that had anything fair been negotiated that they would not now be demanding what they are.  Soccer is the sport of millionaire players and billionaire owners but the women almost have to work second jobs to live.  It's the nature of the modern world that the times are a changing.  It's only the tip of the iceberg that is us.

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

You realize that the women just got an upgrade from coach by court order.  They have been treated very poorly and I suspect that had anything fair been negotiated that they would not now be demanding what they are.  Soccer is the sport of millionaire players and billionaire owners but the women almost have to work second jobs to live.  It's the nature of the modern world that the times are a changing.  It's only the tip of the iceberg that is us.

"Professional" women got an upgrade? In what way?  Seems hard to imagine the revenue from a women's pro soccer league is the same or similar to the men's pro league, just like the NBA vs WNBA is pretty far apart. 

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

"Professional" women got an upgrade? In what way?  Seems hard to imagine the revenue from a women's pro soccer league is the same or similar to the men's pro league, just like the NBA vs WNBA is pretty far apart. 

My daughter used to get free tickets to WNBA games and then get moved court side so they could fill the seats.  

I’m all for parity in sports but I do wonder why there is such low buy in on the WNBA?  Is it a lack of advertising or is the product less appealing to the masses than the NBA?  I mean why isn’t there more buy in on attendance by women?

FTR my daughters sports teams would get blocks of free tickets to several games and more often than not got moved to better seats, twice it was courtside. 

13 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

My daughter used to get free tickets to WNBA games and then get moved court side so they could fill the seats.  

I’m all for parity in sports but I do wonder why there is such low buy in on the WNBA?  Is it a lack of advertising or is the product less appealing to the masses than the NBA?  I mean why isn’t there more buy in on attendance by women?

FTR my daughters sports teams would get blocks of free tickets to several games and more often than not got moved to better seats, twice it was courtside. 

If we knew, we could fix it, but we don't know what to tweak.  Even the "super star" programs like UConn women's basketball or US women's Olympic soccer struggle big time getting the respect they deserve.  

But, it's sort of true for all sports not men's football, basketball, and baseball.  Golf and hockey and soccer play second fiddle.  Then rugby, cycling, track and field, sailing, rowing, etc, come in later.  Amateur - college and Olympic or similar - can artificially boost things to parity, but in the PRO ranks, revenue is what matters, and without a lot of revenue - ticket sales, media sales, advertisers & sponsors - who is gonna pay the salaries of players???? 

It is a chicken & egg sort of thing, because I gotta think someone like Serena Williams was a MUCH bigger draw to the US Open (TV audience) for Americans than was a bunch of random European male superstars.  Outlier? Probably, but also potential breakthrough for other women in other sports.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

US National Team.  Probably twice the exposure of the men's team.  Our men's Olympic team just failed to qualify for some record number of times of futility.  The women's team contends for the World Cup almost every cycle.  The men don't struggle.

On 3/30/2021 at 1:41 PM, Razors Edge said:

...that there is almost no discussion here about it????

I'm not as excited about it as most years.  I usually have a few brackets that qualify for random drawings for online prizes ($15,000 plus) but there were so many upsets this year I've got one outside chance.

I've got one bracket on Yahoo that's in the top 7% right now.  If the teams I picked to win the last 3 games all win, I may end up in the top 1% from which a random drawing will determine the winner of a week's trip to Hawaii including a college basketball tournament and a $10,000 Amazon gift certificate.

Of course, there are probably about 50,000 people in the top 1%!

image.png.58de9467d904aed72e7a1360f27012c8.png