Bike woes today, but my luck was pretty good

Dirtyhip

Rode my CruX today.  Rode to the property.  Quickly chatted and then was riding back.  I was literally almost to the cross street of my current house and SNAP, my rear cable snapped.  Of course, I am in the hard ass gear and I have a big hill to climb to get back.  

So I booked it to my house and grabbed my seek and ride back.

Ten minutes late for my lunch hour.  

That seek is like old reliable.  The studs were whirring as I busted ass back to work.  Old trusty.   We need to swap tires.  I did have snow like last week, so I hate to take them off too early.  

I don't know what is up with that inttersection.  Last time I had a mechanical on a bike, my crank arm fell off cause I sheared off the crank fixing bolt.  Same damn intersection.  HAHA

• Heart 3

Snapping a RD cable in a hilly area is a real PITA. The front isn't so bad but it might slow you down. I've been unlucky enough to have the cable snap at the shifter a couple of time. I was then able to tie the cable around the water bottle cage to the RD high on the cassette.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Snapping a RD cable in a hilly area is a real PITA. The front isn't so bad but it might slow you down. I've been unlucky enough to have the cable snap at the shifter a couple of time. I was then able to tie the cable around the water bottle cage to the RD high on the cassette.

I had my Di2 battery die once, and it was annoying to first lose front shifting, and then a little while later, all shifting.  Stuck in an easy gear, so it was no fun for several miles of "spinning" like a maniac to get home.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, JerrySTL said:

Good trick.  Saved.

46 minutes ago, jdc2000 said:

What happened to the luck of the Irish?

I was incredible luck.  I broke one block from my house.  I walked back and grabbed another bike.

Last time I broke, the crank failed at the same intersection, and not flying down a black diamond 20 minutes prior.

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, Further said:

Chainsnappers are pretty tough, but crankshearers are a whole new breed of badass   :speedy:

Too many jumps, and some have some flat landers.  I think it was from riding down thise big staircase.  It is so hard on my bikes.

...and you have me a new siggie.  You have goos material.

16 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I had my Di2 battery die once, and it was annoying to first lose front shifting, and then a little while later, all shifting.  Stuck in an easy gear, so it was no fun for several miles of "spinning" like a maniac to get home.

On my ride today, my Garmin alerted me to a low Di2 battery!  It was at 20%, so after the ride, I plugged it in and hopefully am good to go today.  :)  20% would last many rides, but why risk it?