Garage Apartments

petitepedal

Back in the day they were a thing..Do you remember them? Why do people not build them anymore?

I would love to have my own place and not be one of 100 people in a complex and I wonder what ever happened to Garage apartments..:dontknow: Unfortunately there are so few housing options for single incomes of the $40 to $50 thousand dollar range..Everything is big house and big lot...and certainly not in any city.

These are very specific builds.  Kind of hard to find as a stand alone on property.  You would have to have it built, and lumber is insane $$$$.  

Maybe the next real estate pull back and you could find a 1 or 2 bedroom home for yourself on a lot.  There are starter homes out there. Buying right now is not on the buyers side. 

We didn't build that kind of plan, because of the stairs.

1 hour ago, petitepedal said:

Why do people not build them anymore?

I think a lot of communities regulated them out of existence to some degree, so's there wouldn't be too many residents (or 'problems') at one property.  I know Boulder has rules about how many people who are unrelated can live on one property because the high cost of housing saw lots of immigrants moving multiple families into houses not equipped for that.  I am sure others have that, probably here in NYC, too.

• Heart 1

I have a sister living in one on the outskirts of Lincoln NE.  In her case it is disconnected from the main house.  Rich friends of hers.  She has the upstairs of a large carriage house.  They also have a garage apartment that she lived in temp above the 4 stall garage.

We have a large room above our garage with a half bath that has its entrance from the mudroom.  Since there is no shower/bathtub it is just a bedroom - a very large bedroom with a gas fireplace - that is now just storage.

• Heart 1

17 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I have a sister living in one on the outskirts of Lincoln NE.  In her case it is disconnected from the main house.  Rich friends of hers.  She has the upstairs of a large carriage house.  They also have a garage apartment that she lived in temp above the 4 stall garage.

We have a large room above our garage with a half bath that has its entrance from the mudroom.  Since there is no shower/bathtub it is just a bedroom - a very large bedroom with a gas fireplace - that is now just storage.

Is your sister a smoking hot, red headed former Kilgore Rangerette?

• Heart 1

25 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I used to date a smoking hot red head, former Kilgore Rangerette, that lived in an apartment over a carriage house at a nice old home in Dallas.  That place was cool.  Old claw foot tub / shower with the funky curtain on a ring over the tub.

I may be the only one here that knows what a Kilgore Rangerette is.

• Awesome 1

13 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Being an 8th grader with a homecoming queen sister was pretty cool at the time.

Yep.  I had a good friend who had a sister three years older who was on the drill team.  We planned our sleep overs to coincide to when her friends were hanging out!  

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, petitepedal said:

Back in the day they were a thing..Do you remember them? Why do people not build them anymore?

I would love to have my own place and not be one of 100 people in a complex and I wonder what ever happened to Garage apartments..:dontknow: Unfortunately there are so few housing options for single incomes of the $40 to $50 thousand dollar range..Everything is big house and big lot...and certainly not in any city.

I noticed that, after the 2008 crash when you'd houses would be cheap, new developments in the Baltimore Suburbs that used to be $299K to $399K were being advertised for $599K to $799K.  I guess vacant property was getting harder to find so the builders wanted to put in upscale communities to max. their profits.

My guess is that the cost of adding a 2nd story with plumbing, water, and heat to a garage is too costly these days for people who could best benefit from extra income. The cost of materials has gone up a lot more than inflation over time, especially wood.  I just spent $8000 for a 6 1/2' x 20' roof extension, $3600 for an alcove (closet) extending off of my kitchen and onto my porch to fit a stacked washer/dryer pair plus the water/insulation/electric connections, and $10,600 for the extensive termite damage plus and extra 1/2" plywood layer above a weak subfloor on my old house.  You can imagine how much extra it would cost for a 2nd floor above a garage.  Fonzie would have a hard time finding one today.