Instapot vs Air Fryer!

Razors Edge

Instapot with the air fryer on top.  If you own a convection oven, an air fryer is not needed IMHO.  Use a wire basket on a cookie sheet and toss the food around a couple of times.  This is what we do for potato wedges.  It works decent enough.  

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/instant-pot-duo-crisp-8qt-digital-multi-cooker-with-air-fryer-stainless-steel-silver/6367865.p?skuId=6367865&ref=212&loc=1&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1260582&gclid=CjwKCAjwu5CDBhB9EiwA0w6sLWZQCMLbJ_XF7u6R7Hsp94nuh4w27_3y2vdC7iPgSOIBAnxCLjlBHRoCN3QQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

The instapot part has the gasket, the air fryer doesn't?  We are leaning towards the air fryer, but we'll see!

I don't know about the air fryer.  I know people like them.  The thing I like about the insta pot is how quick it operates.

Air fryer is simply a small convection oven--one function. Instapot has several functions--slow-cooker, pressure-cooker, sauté function, stock pot, etc...

DH is right about using a sheet pan with a rack in you oven. If you must have one, go with the instapot.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

You can only get one and you can't get the combination Instapot-Air Fryer.

Which do you pick and why?

If I was going to get a Pressure Cooker now, I think I'd get the Ninja Foodi - the mid-size one is a little bigger than the Instant Pot, 6.5 qt. vs 6 qt., and comes standard with an air fryer that's bigger than the air fryer attachment for the Instant Pot. It's pot is also non-stick where the Instant Pot's is stainless steel.  There is a non-stick insert for the older Instant Pots, but not for the newer models (which have inner-pot handles) like the one I have.

I never use the Saute setting on the Instant Pot because I don't want to have to scrub burned-on stuff after frying in a deep, stainless steel pot: I fry stuff in a non-stick frying pan - where it's also much easier to stir - and then add it to the Instant Pot when I'm going to pressure cook.  With the non-stick, shallower pot in the Ninja Foodi, frying and cleanup isn't as big a chore.

The Ninja Foodi basically does all the stuff the Instant Pot does, including Sous Vide, and also does dehydrating to make meat, fruit, and veggie snacks. It's more expensive than the Instant Pot but since I'd expect it to last many years, I'd get the pot that will best serve me for a long time.

Personally, I love the Instant Pot (I got the Instant Pot 6 qt. Duo Evo Plus that includes a Sous Vide setting) and use it - mostly pressure cooking - about once every week or two (often to make a few days worth of food). I also love to Sous Vide steaks with it for 24 or more hours in a vacuum bag at 135°F and then finish fry it in a pan or broiler and they are excellent, tender, and not stringy even if top round steak.

I don't think I'd use an air fryer a lot, but would probably replace some oven baking with it if I had one.

My sister - who urged me to get my Instant Pot in March 2020, stopped using hers late last year when she got the 6.5 qt. Ninja Foodi Pressure Cooker and Air Fryer. She loves the Air Fryer. It's more expensive than a 6 qt. Instant Pot alone and about the same as the Instant Pot + Air Fryer combo.

Here's a Kohl's ad I just cut-and-pasted.  It's more expensive on Amazon.

image.thumb.png.095f992c818f8c6749d2f0b0b612782b.png

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I don't know about the air fryer.  I know people like them.  The thing I like about the insta pot is how quick it operates.

We have a very nice air fryer.  After the novelty of quick cooking frozen french fried and chicken nuggets we decided that it takes up too much room on the counter top when we went back to cooking in normal pots and pans on and in the stove.

Between the instapot and the air fryer I'd rather have a great grill.  Note, I do have a crockpot.

I have and use both.

We have a Cuisinart convection oven with air fry setting. I use it a lot as it cooks faster than the big oven, and is way better than the microwave for reheating stuff, specially French fry's.

The Instapot makes the most tender meat I've ever made, and it cooks quick, although the cooking times are a bit misleading as it takes about 15 - 20 minutes to come to temp.

I use the oven more, but it is apples and oranges. 

56 minutes ago, 12string said:

Instapot, no question.

Air fryers are space-wasters.  A wire basket in the convection oven is a better option.

Our Instapot gets used quite a bit, does a better job than the crock pot especially on meats, and in way less time.

Yup, just don't miss putting in the gasket, after you wash it.  OY!