Get in line. It's worth it.

Dottleshead

19 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

For me, you're preachin' to the choir.  Sounds delish.  

You ever try it here? They pull them fresh daily from the farmed strings. Not wild but the next best thing. Amazing, really. They're Pacific oysters and use the small ones on the half shell. $27 a dozen. Pan fried were $2.50 a piece and worth every penny.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

You ever try it here? They pull them fresh daily from the farmed strings. Not wild but the next best thing. Amazing, really. They're Pacific oysters and use the small ones on the half shell. $27 a dozen. Pan fried were $2.50 a piece and worth every penny.

We went to a lovely restaurant overlooking the ocean...near Chuckanutt Rd. or something like that.  That must have been over a decade ago we were cycling in the area.  The next day we cycled back to Vancouver.  We could see an oyster farm in the ocean from the restaurant.

The place where you went today looks lovely and worth checking out when we can safely bike into the U.S.

3 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Right now, we can't go over the border. Well, if we didn't fly over. Imagine flying over from vancouver to blaine. :drool::speedy:

Then why do I see so many Canadian plates in WY? I talked to some last week from Manitoba. I know you think Canadians don't come to WY, but they are here. And their cars did not fly here.

9 hours ago, denniS said:

Then why do I see so many Canadian plates in WY? I talked to some last week from Manitoba. I know you think Canadians don't come to WY, but they are here. And their cars did not fly here.

Then they sneaked over the border.... maybe some got vaccinated and feel comfy. I dunno.  I sure wouldn't do it. Some of the private insurance companies will not cover covid if a CAnadian gets sick down there in U.S.  THere are alot of naive Canadians....they don't understand how limited our Canadian public health insurance system is.

A few decades ago, myself and two friends were walking in a gourmet supermarket in Chicago and we saw the oyster tank.  I said "They look gross, and I am allergic to seafood, but I always wondered what they are like", and a second friend said "I have never had any and I wonder what they'd be like, too".  My third friend said "I will tell you exactly what they are like if you want".  We said sure, tell us, so he said that "Oysters are exactly like what you'd get if you put your mouth over my nose and sucked".

That stands as one of the greatest food descriptions I have ever heard, he just nailed the description, plus the timing was awesome.

• Haha 1

Oysters are a no go for me.  

They are mostly served raw, and the texture is vile.  You just suck them down.  I don't understand the attraction. Even if they are cooked, I find them sandy at times.

Nope.  Nope. Nope.

... and I like sardines, clams, lobster, crab, shrimp, and abalone.  I am really wanting to try geoduck, but I am rarely somewhere it is served

• Heart 2

I used to love oysters raw but many years ago got a bad one and it was already on the way down when I smelled/tasted it. It made me sick, I nearly spewed in the restaurant.  

My wife likes them too and smelled the remaining ones, all freaking nasty. We told the waitress and she comped the meal & drinks & we left as I was still feeling nauseous.

Haven’t had raw oysters since.

As a Marylander, I'm supposed to preach that the only good oysters (and crabs for that matter) come from the Chesapeake Bay.

But I've never been a fan of oysters.  I'll slurp them down covered with a ketchup/horseradish cocktail sauce, but only as a ritual at Bull and Oyster Roasts.  They just don't have the consistency of clams or mussels.

As far as crabs go, during the cold months we get crabs shipped in live from the Gulf of Mexico.  They're the same "callinectes sapidus" (beautiful savory swimmer) as the "Chesapeake Bay Blue Crab" and some claim they don't taste the same but that's not true!  I've caught Blue Crabs off the coast of New Jersey with my cousins and the only difference was my cousins didn't know how to properly rig their nets like we do in Maryland: rip out the string net from the hoop it's on and replace it with a net of chicken wire - otherwise the crabs grab the string with their claws and it's often tough to get them off of it.  The crabs were the same!

7 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

As a Marylander, I'm supposed to preach that the only good oysters (and crabs for that matter) come from the Chesapeake Bay.

But I've never been a fan of oysters.  I'll slurp them down covered with a ketchup/horseradish cocktail sauce, but only as a ritual at Bull and Oyster Roasts.  They just don't have the consistency of clams or mussels.

As far as crabs go, during the cold months we get crabs shipped in live from the Gulf of Mexico.  They're the same "callinectes sapidus" (beautiful savory swimmer) as the "Chesapeake Bay Blue Crab" and some claim they don't taste the same but that's not true!  I've caught Blue Crabs off the coast of New Jersey with my cousins and the only difference was my cousins didn't know how to properly rig their nets like we do in Maryland: rip out the string net from the hoop it's on and replace it with a net of chicken wire - otherwise the crabs grab the string with their claws and it's often tough to get them off of it.  The crabs were the same!

I grew up eating Dungeness crabs and although I do like Chesapeake blues they don’t compare to Dungeness for me. I will admit seafood as a whole is better on the Chesapeake region.