Bike Thieves Are On A Roll During The Pandemic

dinneR

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/02/980008727/bike-thieves-are-on-a-roll-during-the-pandemic-heres-how-to-protect-your-ride

Although bike theft has always been a common issue, especially in urban areas, it increased during the pandemic in a number of cities. The pandemic led to an unprecedented boom in bikes sales. The rising demand, increase in ridership, and shortage of bikes nationwide among other factors, has likely contributed to a rise in theft, according to Bike Index, a nonprofit organization and national bicycle registry. Novice cyclists who picked up the habit recently or are relying more heavily on bikes for transportation may also be unaware of the basics of bike security — especially in urban areas.

• Awesome 1

That’s why I keep my bikes locked in the garage.  I recently purchased a 30’ cable and now lock all four (they hang parallel 2X2) together and I have my Anthem on the ground  but locked to its stand.  Previously I only had my “good” bikes locked.  Yeah they can pull the anthem & stand out but it’d be a PITA.  

2 hours ago, BuffJim said:

I was going to pray and ask God for a bike, but I know He doesn’t work that way. So I stole one and asked for forgiveness. 

God may have made that bike stealable for you.  Janis Joplin asked him for a Mercedes Benz, to buy the next round, and a Color TV, so a bike sure isn't too much.

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

32 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Bob Roll put oot a shoddy bike?  :(

It is well built.  Actually very strong.  It is made to carry much more weight than a standard design.  There was a low entry model.  That one looked like a granny bike to me and I disliked the design. It actually a very strong bike.  

The Specialized Roll  

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Nope, a bit of an odd build but nod shoddy.

Bob Roll is my favorite bicyclist. He was a serious competitor, has a deep understanding of the sport and the nuances and back story of the pro teams. And a sense of humor.  Especially a sense of humor.   :) 

• Heart 1