Now the bitch wants to live here

Square Wheels

Just now, Prophet Zacharia said:

It’s nice, if you like climbing and descending on every bike ride. Very rural.

I could slum it for a while.

I'd like to do Haleakalā, but on my own bike, and I don't want to ship it just for one ride.  Living there would make it easier.  I know it's not "easy", but it doesn't look too hard.  I drove to the top a couple of times, did a tiny bit of hiking.  The elevation didn't bother me at all.

7 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I could slum it for a while.

Could you work in Maui? Or straight retirement?

I’ve contemplated moving to one of the islands for retirement, or early retirement and part time work, or moving and working full time. My fear for the later is that the cost of living upon moving there would prevent the rate of savings for retirement that I currently have, thus locking me into working for longer. 

The first two options seem safer. But maybe that’s not the right mindset for moving there.

7 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Or straight retirement?

Possibly.  Oddly I found Maui to be too perfect. 

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

So you are rich.  I thought you might be.

Nope.  No way I can afford that.  The wife might make us some money, but that will be a few years.  Probably not that kind of money though.

10 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Get the pool too.  That way when I come and crash on your couch,  I can offer you free scuba lessons

SCUBA on Maui would be amazing.  I got certified when I was 18, then I never dove again.  You are definitely invited, just don't tell my wife I have a crush on you.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

The Maui house is cheap compared to the one I really want:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/31118-Broad-Beach-Rd-Malibu-CA-90265/20557699_zpid/

There's no way we could afford either of those right now. I mostly just like looking at the pictures. 

Maui is my perfect place. Especially upcountry where we can have a garden and grow our own food. The big island would be great also, somewhere near Hilo or closer to Volcanoes National Park. I agree that the cost of living would be high. 

Oh, and that frog pond is what makes that Maui house. 

What a beautiful house and scenery!  Of course, there's a lot to maintain in terms of external decks, stairs, banks, greenery, etc. alone.

To me, that would a fantastic place to live if hiring people to keep the place up was in my budget.

Personally, I could sell my 30' x 30' mini-Cape Cod house on 100' x 60' of property and buy, for a little more than the sale price, a house with over twice the space, twin semi-spiral staircases leading from the middle hall to the 2nd floor, a 2-car garage, and 1.5 acres of land in Northern Maryland between Taneytown, Maryland (where the girls were standing by the side of the road in the movie "Gettysburg" teasing the marching 20th Maine with, "We thought the war was in the South.") and Gettysburg, PA.

I strongly considered doing that when I was younger but, even though there are now expressways between that area and Baltimore and Washington and Philadelpia - all less than 2 hours away, taking care of the property or even doing things with the property would be too much work.  It would have been too much like work just to give-away all the stuff I grew in a planned 40' x 20' garden or make ketchup, etc. with it.

• Heart 1

32 minutes ago, SpeedDemon said:

The Maui house is cheap compared to the one I really want:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/31118-Broad-Beach-Rd-Malibu-CA-90265/20557699_zpid/

There's no way we could afford either of those right now. I mostly just like looking at the pictures. 

Maui is my perfect place. Especially upcountry where we can have a garden and grow our own food. The big island would be great also, somewhere near Hilo or closer to Volcanoes National Park. I agree that the cost of living would be high. 

Oh, and that frog pond is what makes that Maui house. 

Besides the house, the things within a short drive are awesome at Maui or Malibu Beach.

I have relatives that live inland in Pennsylvania that love to visit the Chesapeake Bay area where I am that has a lot of things to do including all the museums, zoos, and other non-water stuff around Washington, D.C. and Baltimore.  They've got a few cold lakes near their homes.