So apparently Facebook was hacked and your personal information is everywhere for free

Randomguy

3 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Did they post my personal bits? I’d be embarrassed if they did. 

Phone number, email, everything needed to authenticate your account.  Over 500 billion users.   Everyone now has that, along with birthday, school, and any other personal info you provided.  

54 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Over 500 billion million users.  

Just an order of magnitude error.   OR... everyone on the planet has 62 FB accounts each.

And that's why I never completed my profile in FB.   They may have my email address... but so do lots of places.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Just an order of magnitude error.   OR... everyone on the planet has 62 FB accounts each.

And that's why I never completed my profile in FB.   They may have my email address... but so do lots of places.

Oops, I meant to say trillion.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Phone number, email, everything needed to authenticate your account.  Over 500 billion users.   Everyone now has that, along with birthday, school, and any other personal info you provided.  

I don't list a phone number or any financial data on Facebook.  Anyone could get birthday, schools, etc. from my page or by browsing through this and other sites.

What bugs me is the extensive information other businesses have about me now.  When Computershare, then owned by J.P. Morgan Chase Bank, messed up my mailing address for an account, when I phoned to straighten it out, I was asked three questions to make sure it was really me.  One was: which addresses did a certain person ever live at?  The person was my brother and I had never given Computershare his name.  Another was which of the following cars did I NOT ever own.

Information like that gives the owner of it an advantage on me, but I'm not provided with information I'd like to know about that company so it has an advantage in any negotiations.

32 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I don't list a phone number or any financial data on Facebook.  Anyone could get birthday, schools, etc. from my page or by browsing through this and other sites.

What bugs me is the extensive information other businesses have about me now.  When Computershare, then owned by J.P. Morgan Chase Bank, messed up my mailing address for an account, when I phoned to straighten it out, I was asked three questions to make sure it was really me.  One was: which addresses did a certain person ever live at?  The person was my brother and I had never given Computershare his name.  Another was which of the following cars did I NOT ever own.

Information like that gives the owner of it an advantage on me, but I'm not provided with information I'd like to know about that company so it has an advantage in any negotiations.

Your address, your brother’s address, your birth records and your vehicle registration are all in public records.

How do you think that extended car warranty company knows what make/model, year car you have and where you park it at night?

Second question, why do you think public records are called public?

• Heart 1

I used to use the book of faces for free communications across the globe.  Now that all the family members live here I just keep it for my RC drag racing groups and the manufacturers pages.  Technology and social media seems to have changed as the manufacturers are more likely to have up to date facebook pages than home pages.

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I hope they die of terminal boredom.

It isn't your posts that are available, it is all your personal identifying information that anyone would need to easily and convincingly falsify or take over your identity, not just in facebook, but in the real world.  All someone needs to erase you and take over is your social security number.

17 hours ago, Randomguy said:

That’s why I never confirmed a phone number, used an email I don’t otherwise use, used an alias, wrong birthdate, etc. All they could have is a bunch of photos.

• Heart 1

Just now, Prophet Zacharia said:

That’s why I never confirmed a phone number, used an email I don’t otherwise use, used an alias, wrong birthdate, etc. All they could have is a bunch of photos.

:nodhead:

Quit facebook a while ago.  Never was on Twitter.

For any site like that, I enter the minimum information necessary.  Except for any sites that are 'official/government', if they require a birth date it just happens to be April 1. :whistle: 

When an email comes sailing in with the salutation 'Hey Mortimer!' then I know it's spam because 'Mortimer' is my middle name.

Thaddeus Mortimer Kosciuszko.  Yeah, that's my name.  :whistle:

• Heart 1

On 4/4/2021 at 1:56 PM, Randomguy said:

It isn't your posts that are available, it is all your personal identifying information that anyone would need to easily and convincingly falsify or take over your identity, not just in facebook, but in the real world.  All someone needs to erase you and take over is your social security number.

Exactly.  That was the point of my quote.