Shooting carpenter bees...

Allen

...with my new Daisy.

My house is swarming with carpenter bees, literally. Breeding season lasts about 2-3 weeks. This is how I learned how to shoot. Windows and cars, gotta pay attention to your surroundings. I’m up to ten out of maybe 150 shots. Haven’t had to reload yet. 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Allen said:

...with my new Daisy.

My house is swarming with carpenter bees, literally. Breeding season lasts about 2-3 weeks. This is how I learned how to shoot. Windows and cars, gotta pay attention to your surroundings. I’m up to ten out of maybe 150 shots. Haven’t had to reload yet. 

Are you just blasting them with air or actually using a BB/pellet?

13 minutes ago, Allen said:

They are putting the finishing touches on my driveway today.  Since the guy was already on the skid loader I got him to dig me a new embankment on the range for pistols. 

Will it handle FMJ?  We snuck a few boxes of FMJ onto the range.  It did a number on the embankment at 100 yds.   Glad we did not get caught.

52 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Crazy I know but I have been considering an indoor range in my house. From my bedroom, through the hall and into my sons room is about 15 yards.  Good enough for an air gun.

When I attended college about 100 years ago, 'hall soccer' was a thing.  One day I unsuspectingly rounded the corner and 'caught' a soccer ball in the head.  The impact knocked me flat.  I wasn't hurt (remember, the ball hit me in the head).  The ensuing discussion with the soccer players was not held according to the Marquis of Queensbury rules. 

Substitute 'BB' for 'soccer ball' - which is what brought the tale to mind.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

When I attended college about 100 years ago, 'hall soccer' was a thing.  One day I unsuspectingly rounded the corner and 'caught' a soccer ball in the head.  The impact knocked me flat.  I wasn't hurt (remember, the ball hit me in the head).  The ensuing discussion with the soccer players was not held according to the Marquis of Queensbury rules. 

How was the ball?  

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

At RPI, being Troy, the game was hall hockey with those light weight plastic pucks that you could fly about head high almost all the way down the dorm hall, skimming the wall all the way.  One quickly learned to open the room door, stop, listen then look before moving out.

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

The carpenter bees just shrug the Bug-a-Salt off. Pulled out the Crown too (PCP air gun). Dry firing it the bees, there is a fine line inside of which the puff of air obliterates the bee, and outside of which it simply moves the bee several feet laterally. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Will it handle FMJ?  We snuck a few boxes of FMJ onto the range.  It did a number on the embankment at 100 yds.   Glad we did not get caught.

We had an indoor range in the army where we fired our standard ball rounds against an angled steel backing with a water trough beneath it.  For the most part it worked fine but  every once in a while a metal jacket would come flying back and slice a shooter. 

Sleeves down & eye protection was an absolute must at that range.

3 hours ago, Allen said:

...with my new Daisy.

I had a ton of them at my last house, and used to shoot them down with a hose and stomp on them.

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Learned that the hard way :whistle:  My neighbors really hated me :D  and it was COMPLETELY justified.

I bought an 11 year old rental duplex one time that the owners gave up on after having the renters from hell in both apartments. After they were evicted the neighbor kids shot out all the windows in the house. I told the owners I didn’t want to buy it, I wanted the other house on the property. They made me a deal, sold me that house for $15,000. I put a lot of work into the house and the neighbor kids never shot out the windows again but it was a PITA. I subdivided the property and sold it off.