3 kids from my granddaughter’s school were hit (sad update)

Kzoo

While riding their bikes this afternoon.  Apparently 4 were riding when a SUV plowed into them.  One of the three hit was not injured, one with a broken leg and one airlifted with severe head injuries.  The driver never stopped.  They are looking for a silver SUV with no grill and a missing passenger mirror.

• Sad 18

Not just bikes accidents.  It seems that hit and run is becoming more normal these days.  It feels like once a week or more the news reports another hit and run on pedestrians, bikers etc.  Unfortunately the news seems to rarely report on the results of these folks getting caught.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, 2Far said:

Small town, local road. Yeah they'll catch 'em. Time for a little brass knuckle justice.

Yes to all of that.  It is a country road about 3 miles from my daughter's house.  I think how this easily could have been my grandkids, but they are someone's grand kids.  Apparently it happened at the end of the driveway of some people we know (friends of my daughter's).  The wife witnessed the crash.  It's on a road that isn't really used to get to some other place.  If you're there, you are probably a local.

14 yo boy with a fractured skull.  He is expected to be sedated for several days.

• Sad 4

11 hours ago, Kzoo said:

While riding their bikes this afternoon.  Apparently 4 were riding when a SUV plowed into them.  One of the three hit was not injured, one with a broken leg and one airlifted with severe head injuries.  The driver never stopped.  They are looking for a silver SUV with no grill and a missing passenger mirror.

This is awful and makes me sad and angry.  A totally avoidable tragedy :angry: and likely tied to distracted driving.

I would think, if they know the color of the SUV and that there is a missing mirror, they actually know the make, model, and maybe even year (range of years) from the mirror they found at the scene.  I hope the kids recover, and the driver is found.

On 4/5/2021 at 7:23 PM, Kzoo said:

Their lives are changed forever... and not for the better.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

It’s the only explanation. Local driver, hits three kids, only a matter of time until discovered. Only benefit to them is the ability to sober up and concoct a better story.

Or take a pistol into the woods by yourself.  

Just now, Randomguy said:

I wouldn't automatically think a drunk person, I would think 'scumbag'.  Bad people tend to do bad things.

I'm appalled by the "distracted" driving as much as drunk/buzzed/impaired/high driving.  :(  We've done relatively good work in my lifetime fighting drinking and driving, but distracted driving - and the inherent selfishness of it - seems to still be "okay" yet just as deadly. I think a selfish distracted driver may also be selfish enough to leave the scene - which is really scary as they are not even technically "impaired" in their decisions.

Regardless, multiple kids hit. One dies :angry: and the others are harmed in countless way, and ALL because someone was doing something wrong.  Too tragic for words. 

I cannot imagine the pain of the kids, and the parents - and all friends and family of those associated with these children.  Truly tragic.

I am in no way condoning what the driver did, but their life is essentially over too.  They caused harm, death, and lifelong pain for so many.  They will never be the same.

Horrible on so many levels.