Used My Last Spare Tire

Razors Edge

My front tire was starting to crack a bit along the sidewalls.  It still has some tread, but figured spring is a good time to swap on a new tire.  I used the last of my spare tires for the Tarmac - a Continental Grand Prix 4000S II - so I will likely be rolling with the 5000 next time around.  I really liked all versions of the 4000 series tires over the years. I kept the old one for now, just in case I need a temporary tire anytime soon.

• Heart 2

Some fans of the 4000 I've talked to don't like the 5000.  Different profile and different ride.

I've been rolling 4 Seasons for the last several years and have been happy.  I got into them by accident and haven't felt the need to switch.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

My front tire was starting to crack a bit along the sidewalls.  It still has some tread, but figured spring is a good time to swap on a new tire.  I used the last of my spare tires for the Tarmac - a Continental Grand Prix 4000S II - so I will likely be rolling with the 5000 next time around.  I really liked all versions of the 4000 series tires over the years. I kept the old one for now, just in case I need a temporary tire anytime soon.

I keep an old one too. It's "good enough" for a ride if needed before I get a new one.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Some fans of the 4000 I've talked to don't like the 5000.  Different profile and different ride.

I've been rolling 4 Seasons for the last several years and have been happy.  I got into them by accident and haven't felt the need to switch.

Yep - I have a set of 4 Seasons (700 x28) that I have for the Roubaix.  The Roubaix is all but retired now, so those tires may likely never see much more use.  I might use them on the Diverge as a commuting tire just to wear them out, but no commuting right now means that's down the road a bit.  I'll at least give the 5000s a shot but not gonna stick with them if they aren't as good as the 4000s have been.

1 minute ago, 12string said:

Did you forget to replace the East Coast air?

I think it was the lack of road salt!  My East Coast tires usually don't have a salt deficiency, but these darn CA roads mean they're not getting enough salt in their diet. :(

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I think it was the lack of road salt!  My East Coast tires usually don't have a salt deficiency, but these darn CA roads mean they're not getting enough salt in their diet. :(

What are your thoughts on the road surfaces & quality of the roads in SoCal as opposed to NoVA?

6 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

What are your thoughts on the road surfaces & quality of the roads in SoCal as opposed to NoVA?

VA roads are pretty comparable.  The big difference is 1) CA has big bike lanes, and 2) VA has a period in the late winter-early spring where the road crews have a LOT of work to do to fix potholes and start resurfacing.  Once the spring fixes are done, the VA roads are good, but you can expect some potholes in early season rides (and later in the season on less important roads).

• Heart 1