what's the best pot?

12string

34 minutes ago, 12string said:

The kids move into their new place in a few weeks and need cookware.

They get my old stuff.

So what should I replace it with?  Cooper/tin would be awesome but I don't know that I want to spend that much

I just got this in the big housewarming, and it is pretty damn awesome:  https://www.amazon.com/AVACRAFT-Stainless-Saucepan-Ergonomic-Multipurpose/dp/B078TX67LL

It does double-duty with the strainer, and the handle is really ergonomic.  Only downside is that it has rivets, but so does most everything else.  Really well-made.

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

My sister works at Williams Sonoma and recommended the All-Clad D5 stainless or copper core $1,000-$1,200. Wo7 found a set of Calphalon at Costco that is less expensive, $400

I will say, after having used All-Clad for a year, that while they cook really nicely, the handle ergonomics are complete dog crap; just a really poor design.  Maybe that only bothers me, but I would never get All-Clad for that reason alone.  At that price point, the handles ought to feel like they were custom made for you.  No complaints about the cooking part, they are well made otherwise.  They have rivets, though, so two strikes.

10 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I will say, after having used All-Clad for a year, that while they cook really nicely, the handle ergonomics are complete dog crap; just a really poor design.  Maybe that only bothers me, but I would never get All-Clad for that reason alone.  At that price point, the handles ought to feel like they were custom made for you.  No complaints about the cooking part, they are well made otherwise.  They have rivets, though, so two strikes.

Rivets don’t grind my gears. 

Taking 7's advice, but probably going with the d3 instead of the d5.  It reacts more quickly to temperature changes, makes a nice companion to all the cast iron we have.  If you shop at the All-Clad site, they have an exclusive "Everyday" series.  Flared lips on everything, different handles.  Cheaper.  And the 10 piece collection is just the right mix.

Except a 3 qt saucier.  Have to have one of those