What has our world come to

SuzieQ

If the story is true, it is sad all around.  Someone is dead, a child has a terrible burden to bear and the parents have to be feeling pretty guilty as well.

If it is a hoax put out to further any cause, the perpatrators need to be sought out, prosecuted and fined.

• Heart 3

If the story is true, it is sad all around.  Someone is dead, a child has a terrible burden to bear and the parents have to be feeling pretty guilty as well.

If it is a hoax put out to further any cause, the perpatrators need to be sought out, prosecuted and fined.

A terrible burden indeed!  Can't imagine what's going through that poor kid's mind

I think there are a lot better things for kids to be doing.... I guess I just don't understand the gun obsession

I do not hunt.  I seldom shoot anything other than air rifles, but I can tell you it is pretty cool to see the face of a Cub Scout when he shoot his first bulls eye and can take that target to show his mom and dad.

Archery is fun as well, but much harder to the scouts to get proficient at.

I think if more youth saw first hand the power of a gun and the damage it could do, it would actually help to end some of the gun violence.

At the very least, getting instruction in fire arm safety at a young age cannot hurt.

Suzie, I mean no disrespect but I must ask this - what does that really mean, "what has our world come to?" Our world, from it's very origins, has been filled with extreme violence and human rights atrocities all around. Even in our madden age, boys go war, girls are sold into slavery, whole grous of people seek to destroy or annihilate other groups of people. In first world countries alone bombers blow up schools, planes, buildings and even racing venues, kids attack other kids in schools and out of schools, homeless people live and die on frozen streets in our largest communities, thousands of people are mutilated and killed every year in auto accidents. Life and death continue on as it ever has. Murder, war, rape, theft, torture, hate, deceit, envy, disease, famine, all continue on in typical human fashion; people showing their (in)humanity to one another as they always have. In many ways, the 'advancement' of human society enhances the ways in which humans actively promote and conduct all these negative human atrocities.

So really, what does that question truly represent?

• Heart 1

Suzie, I mean no disrespect but I must ask this - what does that really mean, "what has our world come to?" Our world, from it's very origins, has been filled with extreme violence and human rights atrocities all around. Even in our madden age, boys go war, girls are sold into slavery, whole grous of people seek to destroy or annihilate other groups of people. In first world countries alone bombers blow up schools, planes, buildings and even racing venues, kids attack other kids in schools and out of schools, homeless people live and die on frozen streets in our largest communities, thousands of people are mutilated and killed every year in auto accidents. Life and death continue on as it ever has. Murder, war, rape, theft, torture, hate, deceit, envy, disease, famine, all continue on in typical human fashion; people showing their (in)humanity to one another as they always have. In many ways, the 'advancement' of human society enhances the ways in which humans actively promote and conduct all these negative human atrocities.

It represents idealism, which is certainly an understandable human trait, since reality bytes!

I'm into landscaping, not guns. If I had been teaching my 9 year old granddaughter how to use my chainsaw and she slipped and cut off my face, would the public's reaction be different? A bad idea is a bad idea. In this case someone used the 2nd amendment as an excuse to make a bad choice. Now that little girl has to live with it.   

It represents idealism, which is certainly an understandable human trait, since reality bytes!

There's a quote I really like:

"Man(kind) is an amalgamation of dignity and depravity; a glorious ruin."

It sums this up really well for me. We, in our innermost selves, seem to know that we should be so much more than we are. The idealism you speak of. Yet, our reality forces us to face the horror of what so much of us (humanity) is, and it creates a paradox for our mind to try and rectify when our heart certainly cannot. We are capable if creating such beauty and wonder and grace and at the same time we can bring about such destruction and death. That reality hurts our conscience.

And even with all our advances in science, technology and intellect in general we cannot seem to erase or even lessen the innate core of human deprivation. And we, like Suzie's OP question 'why' with the somewhat errant rhetorical question "what is our world coming to" when our world has always been right there.

But, I believe it will change. I believe in hope.

Peace.

I do not hunt.  I seldom shoot anything other than air rifles, but I can tell you it is pretty cool to see the face of a Cub Scout when he shoot his first bulls eye and can take that target to show his mom and dad.

Archery is fun as well, but much harder to the scouts to get proficient at.

I think if more youth saw first hand the power of a gun and the damage it could do, it would actually help to end some of the gun violence.

At the very least, getting instruction in fire arm safety at a young age cannot hurt.

Ok, So I was a little weary from my day when I wrote this.  I should not have put "fully automatic uzi" in brackets.  That is that part that shocked me the most.  If you want to take your kids to a range to shoot targets, would most sane people not choose a less destructive weapon?  Yes, buy that age my son had a bb gun and would shoot targets, both my kids got their hunter safety license. I think archery is a great sport (when shooting targets).  

And Z, yes I know I world is already sucky and has been for many eons, and their are kids in Africa being forced to use weapons like that to kill people.  But we are extremely fortunate to have more choices here, our kids don't need to grow up like that.  Can we not make better choices for them and in turn help them to make good choices as they grow?  

Would any one here who has kids that age (and this is a serious ?) put that weapon in their kids hands?  Maybe I am just naive.

Suzie, my response wasn't an attack. I hope you didn't see it that way. I think way too much some times, and often certain statements or questions strike me in a fashion that makes me respond as I did to you. There is nothing new under the sun and all things continue as they have since the beginning...

That said, I agree that we do get to make choices here in our country that others do not. And yes, I believe I should do what I can to improve the world around me. And that starts with those over whom I hold some influence - namely, my family. I tried very hard to teach my children well.

To answer your question about a 9 year old, it would depend on the child. My son and my daughter were shooting a .22 and a a bow by that age but well supervised and taught weapons safety first. But I own no automatic weapons and have had no desire to. Had enough of them in the military. But if I did have an Uzi, I think I would have waited a while before I taught my children to handle it.

Suzie, my response wasn't an attack. I hope you didn't see it that way. I think way too much some times, and often certain statements or questions strike me in a fashion that makes me respond as I did to you. There is nothing new under the sun and all things continue as they have since the beginning...

That said, I agree that we do get to make choices here in our country that others do not. And yes, I believe I should do what I can to improve the world around me. And that starts with those over whom I hold some influence - namely, my family. I tried very hard to teach my children well.

To answer your question about a 9 year old, it would depend on the child. My son and my daughter were shooting a .22 and a a bow by that age but well supervised and taught weapons safety first. But I own no automatic weapons and have had no desire to. Had enough of them in the military. But if I did have an Uzi, I think I would have waited a while before I taught my children to handle it.

Did not take your response as an attack at all.

Personally I think it is irresponsible to have someone that small/weak firing automatic weapons. Just a few years ago an 8 year old in Massachusetts killed himself when the Uzi he was firing recoiled, and he took a bullet to the head.

Couldn't agree more!

• Heart 1

The gun range should have had a gun like that tethered to the bench to prevent barrel rise, etc.   This was a very avoidable accident.

Very poor choice of gun for a 9 year old.  She would have been just as happy to shoot a youth framed .22 rifle which would not have had all the negative traits that an UZI has.

So many questions to ask.  Did the parents know the risks involved with an UZI, etc?

I have not hunted since 1971.  I have 2 .22 rifles that every now and then I take to the range.  I would like a shotgun for skeet and trap, and sometime would like an M-1 and / or M-1 carbine, just because.  I would also like a handgun or 2, but dont see myself ever participating in open carry (legal in AZ) or getting a concealed carry permit. I am not sympathetic to the spread of .223 semi automatic rifles , which with the right machinist can be made fully automatic