Cancer sucks

groupw

My mon called this morning. My uncle, wife of the sister she is closest to passed away this morning. He was just diagnosed last week with cancer near his heart. He was supposed to get some tests at the hospital today in the nearest city. They left yesterday to spend the night with my cousin and her kids before the tests. He never got that far. He was unconscious when they got to town. The hospital admitted him, but couldn’t revive him. 
Dennis was as redneck as his little hometown. Always had a cigarette and a beer. You would never forget his laugh. But he was very sincere and a loving man. RIP Dennis. 

• Sad 13
  • Hugs 3

Sad to hear.  A shame he didn't even make it to the cousins :(  I will say, after watching a few folks I loved fight and lose to cancer, sometimes it is best (if that's possible) to not have that awful losing battle be drawn out.

Regardless, it's a painful loss :(  Hoping you and the extended family have peace, and can recall many fond memories of your uncle to cherish.

• Heart 3

17 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Sad to hear.  A shame he didn't even make it to the cousins :(  I will say, after watching a few folks I loved fight and lose to cancer, sometimes it is best (if that's possible) to not have that awful losing battle be drawn out.

Regardless, it's a painful loss :(  Hoping you and the extended family have peace, and can recall many fond memories of your uncle to cherish.

My sentiments exactly. I had driven my aunt to pick up some lunch when I visited Mom last summer. Dennis was in therapy for a broken hip. He was not following instructions for home workouts at all. It was very much the pattern my dad would do. Get healthy enough to go home and then backslide. My aunt didn’t know if she had it in her to do all my mom did for Dad. I would have liked to have seen him once more when we were going to see mom in a month. Beyond that, I am glad neither of them endured what my parents did in his last years. 

6 hours ago, groupw said:

My mon called this morning. My uncle, wife of the sister she is closest to passed away this morning. He was just diagnosed last week with cancer near his heart. He was supposed to get some tests at the hospital today in the nearest city. They left yesterday to spend the night with my cousin and her kids before the tests. He never got that far. He was unconscious when they got to town. The hospital admitted him, but couldn’t revive him. 
Dennis was as redneck as his little hometown. Always had a cigarette and a beer. You would never forget his laugh. But he was very sincere and a loving man. RIP Dennis. 

I'm sorry he passed away so quickly after diagnosis, but I saw my father go continually downhill for many months and I hope I don't have that path to follow.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

49 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

So sorry not all family members could reach him to chat when they really wanted to and tried to. How old was he?

I am not 100% sure of his age. He was older than my aunt who just turned 70, but younger than my parents. He viewed my dad as a mentor. 

59 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I'm sorry he passed away so quickly after diagnosis, but I saw my father go continually downhill for many months and I hope I don't have that path to follow.

Agreed. My dad’s health decline extended over many years. The last 5 years were not a good quality of life. It was hard on both Mom and Dad.