30 / 3035

Square Wheels

My name is SquareWheels and I'm a Stravasshole.  :(

On my ride to work there is a 2 mile segment that is downhill -1%.  As of this morning I am 30th out of 3035.  I averaged 25.4 @ 254 watts.  The leader beat me by 25 seconds at 27.9 and 295 watts.

This was a big jump from my 70th place spot last week.  I can definitely get higher, maybe even get into the top 10, but I doubt I'll ever be able to own this segment.

• Heart 3

My name is SquareWheels and I'm a Stravasshole.   :(

On my ride to work there is a 2 mile segment that is downhill -1%.  As of this morning I am 30th out of 3035.  I averaged 25.4 @ 254 watts.  The leader beat me by 25 seconds at 27.9 and 295 watts.

Of course, you do realize that 98% of those 3035 people weren't competing or didn't know that they were competing for that same segment highest average?    :D

Excellent effort, SW.  You are getting pretty good at this cycling thing.   :)

So now that you have sufficient recorded data, you should put your old wheels back on and see what difference the new wheels make.   :nod head:

• Heart 1

My name is SquareWheels and I'm a Stravasshole. :(

On my ride to work there is a 2 mile segment that is downhill -1%. As of this morning I am 30th out of 3035. I averaged 25.4 @ 254 watts. The leader beat me by 25 seconds at 27.9 and 295 watts.

This was a big jump from my 70th place spot last week. I can definitely get higher, maybe even get into the top 10, but I doubt I'll ever be able to own this segment.

you aren't a Stravasshole.

A true Stravasshole would have used a scooter or other motor vehicle to get the KOM.

BTW, you have heard some people are using EPO to get faster on Strava, right?

http://www.digitalepo.com/
  • Heart 1

Of course, you do realize that 98% of those 3035 people weren't competing or didn't know that they were competing for that same segment highest average?    :D

Also realize that the top twelve riders were in a car.

(Seriously - what stops anyone from riding a segment in a car?)

Also realize that the top twelve riders were in a car.

(Seriously - what stops anyone from riding a segment in a car?)

Nope, this is a gated (sorry RR) bike path.  I have seen a couple of people on electric assisted bicycles on the path.  The guy in the lead is from last June.  http://app.strava.com/segments/5148326?filter=overall

My name is SquareWheels and I'm a Stravasshole.   :(

This was a big jump from my 70th place spot last week.  I can definitely get higher, maybe even get into the top 10, but I doubt I'll ever be able to own this segment.

Using it and being a Stravasshole are two different matters.

Would you blow by a friend that was waving to say hello as you were chasing a segment?  Would you ignore someone having a mechanical while setting a record? That is a Stravasshole.  My name is Dirtyhip and I am NOT a Stravasshole.  

I do use Strava and contend my crowns as much as I can, without hurting others or being a jerk.

• Heart 1

Would you ignore someone having a mechanical while setting a record?

That depends.  Yesterday I felt really good.  I don't trust Strava at all.  I think their estimates of time are wildly inaccurate.  If I had more faith in them I might have pushed a little harder.  If you were near the end of the segment (2 miles) and I was still feeling good, I suspect I would blow right past you.  If I was feeling generous, I would probably turn around and offer help.  If it was at the beginning, I would probably just bail out on the segment and stop and help you.  If I was feeling great and you were in the middle, you're screwed.  But then again, this is a very populated path SOmeone else would be along in a few seconds.

That depends. Yesterday I felt really good. I don't trust Strava at all. I think their estimates of time are wildly inaccurate. If I had more faith in them I might have pushed a little harder. If you were near the end of the segment (2 miles) and I was still feeling good, I suspect I would blow right past you. If I was feeling generous, I would probably turn around and offer help. If it was at the beginning, I would probably just bail out on the segment and stop and help you. If I was feeling great and you were in the middle, you're screwed. But then again, this is a very populated path SOmeone else would be along in a few seconds.

be sure to let us know when you get your first KOM(king of the MUP).

;)
  • Heart 1

I am only really actively trying for a KOM on 1 segment, near my home, and is on they way home for several of my rides.  I got a KOM on it during a easy ride 2 days before the Hemet double in April this year.  The rider who created the segment must have created it that day and I was the first to ride it.  I was only cruising along at 16-17 mph on a downhill false flat.  Somebody took it the next week.  The first weekend of August I felt pretty good at the end of a Saturday club ride.  I always try to ride 62 miles every Saturday, which means if it is a short route I take a long way home to get to 62.   I had the 2nd fastest time, and this was mile 62 of 63.  Last Saturday I tried it again, and shaved a few seconds off my best, but was still in 2nd.  I may take the KOM some day, but I wont set up a ride specifically to do that.  It will be on the way home of whatever route (and however hard I rode that day) I ride.

I stopped using Strava when people I was riding with were recruiting faster riders to draft behind to up their place in the standings.

I use Strava for 2 reasons.

1) to keep track of my total(weekly/monthly/yearly mileage, and elevation gain)

2) to see what rides my friends are doing

I've never seen where Garmin Connect keeps track of my totals

I am only really actively trying for a KOM on 1 segment, near my home, and is on they way home for several of my rides.

I may take the KOM some day, but I wont set up a ride specifically to do that.  It will be on the way home of whatever route (and however hard I rode that day) I ride.

What segment is this?

After kicking Strava to the curb I bought the cyclemeter app for $4.99.  It tracks route via GPS, time, distance, calories, speed, avg, top speed, ascent and descent, elevation, HR including avg and max and same data for cadence.  It doesn't suck battery power like Strava did and I can share real time ride data via e-mail, twitter and facebook. I just use e-mail to my wife. It lets her know when I start the ride, finish and she can find me on a map if I get into trouble.  You can also set up to upload to Strava with an upgrade package.

I use Strava for 2 reasons.

1) to keep track of my total(weekly/monthly/yearly mileage, and elevation gain)

2) to see what rides my friends are doing

I've never seen where Garmin Connect keeps track of my totals

Garmin Connect has some reports.  You can download a csv of all activities, then import that into a spreadsheet or a database.  I am starting an Access database with that.

be sure to let us know when you get your first KOM(king of the MUP).

;)

I'll never get a KOM around here.  Too many riders and too many (most of them) that are stronger than me.

Plus, I think Strava's accuracy is highly suspect.  There is one short -1% or so downhill near my house.  I ride it around 30 mph and Strava typically tells me about 7 or 9 mph.  For this 2 mile segment that I have been playing with the last time I averaged about 24, this time I averaged over 25 and yet it only knocked off three seconds total over 2 miles.  That's not possible.

I think Strava is silly.  I like Garmin a lot better and since you showed my how to upload automatically to Strava, the only thing I use Strava for (aside from this useless segment crap) is to give kudo's to other people.

I think Strava is silly.  I like Garmin a lot better and since you showed my how to upload automatically to Strava, the only thing I use Strava for (aside from this useless segment crap) is to give kudo's to other people.

Since my wreck in February, I really enjoy seeing a PRs on my my rides. It's hard to believe how much strength I lost, so a PR now means a lot to me.

You realize the KOM on that is a complete Stravasshole, right?

no, had no idea. I dont pay enough attention to that on Strava.  I just follow friends.  but if I ever do take that KOM on that segment, it will be funny.... because it will be done on mile 40 or 60 of a ride.

no, had no idea. I dont pay enough attention to that on Strava.  I just follow friends.  but if I ever do take that KOM on that segment, it will be funny.... because it will be done on mile 40 or 60 of a ride.

I just looked at a few of his rides that he got a KOM on. They were all short rides and, likely wind assisted. One ride was called "Wind, Wind, Wind" had 4 KOM sprints, all in the same direction, with a very strange course.

on the subject of Strava... have any of you who are not premium members considering that ? 

I was, I stopped.  Not sure what I'm missing.  I can't see segments for my age / weight...  but you already know my opinion on their segment accuracy, so I don't worry about it.  I can't see power data analysis, but I don't think I'd use them for it.  I'd either read more about it or hire a coach.  Not sure what else they offer.

I was, I stopped.  Not sure what I'm missing.  I can't see segments for my age / weight...  but you already know my opinion on their segment accuracy, so I don't worry about it.  I can't see power data analysis, but I don't think I'd use them for it.  I'd either read more about it or hire a coach.  Not sure what else they offer.

I have heard getting the suffer score is one thing, but I am wondering if you need a HRM for that.  I am considering getting a HRM, but for what I believe is a more practical reason: to judge effort on a double century.  

I have heard getting the suffer score is one thing, but I am wondering if you need a HRM for that.  I am considering getting a HRM, but for what I believe is a more practical reason: to judge effort on a double century.  

Every now and then they give me a 1 month trial upgrade. It's nothing I need, that's for sure. The suffer score feature does require a HRM.

Me and my friends have fun with it here, in my town.  <shrug>  iphones can make it somewhat inaccurate, but I use a Garmin 510.  I hear those are more precise.

Never considered premuim, because I am cheap.  I'd rather spend that $60 bucks somewhere else in my budget.

I think my Garmin 500 computer is more accurate than the Strava app on my iPhone, but that is a guess.

Hmm, I think the suffer score was related to heart rate.  But it's your suffer score, I don't think you can compare it with other rides.  For instance, when I did the same ride with my wife and we rode the same speed, our scores were significantly different.  Also, if you simply change your heart rate zones, your score would change dramatically.

I am still very new to riding and the simple tally of miles and average moving speed on a ride are enough to keep me motivated.  I imagine when I have been riding as long as some of you folks have I'll look for more toys to motivate me.  If a suffer score would motivate me in the future, I think it's worth a dollar a week for premium.  But then I live very foolishly when it comes to money.