So the guy on jeopardy knows formic acid but not sulfuric

Ralphie

10 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

How is that even possible?  

We chemists would say he's probably a biology major: they have trouble with chemistry.

As juniors, a few other chemistry majors and I took a Biochemistry course taught by the Biology Department.  The professor made a big deal of the "Michaelis-Menton Equation" for measuring the speed (kinetics) of certain biological reactions when only one of the reactants is in a small, limiting concentration.

I raised my hand and asked, "Isn't that just a pseudo-first order reaction equation?" as the other chemistry majors nodded their heads in agreement.

"Uh, actually, I guess it is."

In biology books, Michaelis and Menton got famous for applying it to biology!

Formic Acid is what causes the sting from an ant's bite.  Scientists in the 1600's realized there was an acidic presence over anthills and obtained formic acid by boiling ants and distilling the moisture from their bodies.  "Ant" in Latin is "Formica."  It is a weak acid but the strongest of the carboxylic acids.

Sulfuric Acid is a very, very, strong acid - but only when it's mixed with something like water: it's the formation of H3O+ from H2O that becomes the active acid.

Once, as a chemistry student, I had a campus job doing research for a professor and had to put exactly 3 mL of 98% sulfuric acid into a quartz cuvette in order to measure a reaction in a spectrophotometer.  I lifted the pipette away from the cuvette too soon and too carelessly and a drop of the oily-feeling, 98% sulfuric acid dropped on my palm.

It did not burn or do any damage at all.  I quickly wiped away as much as I could with a paper towel, then put my hand under running, cold tap water.

As the water mixed with the acid, a red streak ran across my hand.  Fortunately, there wasn't enough acid to do anything worse than lightly burn the top-layer of skin a little and the red went away in a few hours.

Human skin is tough!  I soon learned that one of my professors, as a post doc, had a gallon bottle of 98% sulfuric acid break and cover a lot of his clothes with it.  He was taken to a shower where he cleaned himself thoroughly, went home wearing a lab coat, showered again and put clothes on.  The originally soaked clothes partly dissolved, the lab coat and the new clothes soon showed signs of partial disintegration, but he wasn't seriously burned anywhere.