TV Commercials have reached a new low

Road Runner
Go to solution Solved by Tizeye,

1 minute ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

I agree about O'Neal, without question. 

However, Farrah was above reproach and completely innocent.  

This same perspective allows me to see Jonathan as a whorenonger yet see our Zooey as beautiful as a Campobello peach. 

• Hugs 1

5 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

This same perspective allows me to see Jonathan as a whorenonger yet see our Zooey as beautiful as a Campobello peach. 

But Ryan was a close friend of Lee's (supposedly).  That makes Farrah and Ryan much scuzzier that Zooey and Jonathan.  

About the OP: that commercial could run on the Lifetime channel or maybe between yoga programs or beach volleyball and it would make sense. Commercials don’t run outside their target audience viewing habits.

So, how is it you know about this commercial?  

• Awesome 1

21 hours ago, roadsue said:

About the OP: that commercial could run on the Lifetime channel or maybe between yoga programs or beach volleyball and it would make sense. Commercials don’t run outside their target audience viewing habits.

So, how is it you know about this commercial?  

I long ago learned to stop questioning RR's Internet travels. :D

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I remember when there were all kinds of restrictions - and not just commercials.

And because of them, I don't have a problem with any risque commercials because they made no sense. Here are two:

When people appeared on TV talk shows in the 60's - 70's wearing homemade shirts made with the American Flag as a design - no one sold such an insult to the flag commercially - they were only shown from the neck-up on TV.  Making clothing out of the U.S. Flag was considered almost as bad as burning it although the wearers meant the opposite.

Now it's considered by all a salute to the flag to wear such stuff!

Once - and only ONCE - when the National Anthem was played before our high school track meets in the 60's, I put my hand over my heart.

I was punished for that insult to the flag by having to run 4 miles as soon as the team bus returned to our school.  Hand over your heart was officially for the Pledge of Allegiance ONLY and it replaced what my parents did in school: hold their right arms straight out toward the flag - which was changed because it was the same as the Nazi salute. Before the change, hand-over-heart was not part of patriot salutes or positioning.

Standing at Parade Dress, with your hands joined together behind your back, was THE accepted way to stand during the National Anthem.  When our school's Varsity Club attended Navy Basketball, Orioles Baseball, etc. as a group, we all wore school-owned blue blazers (we thought we looked like the midshipmen at Army-Navy, etc. games).  When we stood for the National Anthem at Parade Dress, we got lots of smiles and positive comments from those around us from those who knew how it was supposed to be done!

Since then, hand over heart has been made the official accepted way to stand during the National Anthem and people would think you're insulting the flag if you stood at Parade Dress!

At the major meets that still do the National Anthem at the start, the kids I coached - and me - did the hand over heart throughout my 1980's to 2002 high school coaching career.

Now if you think all that pickiness about the flag was ridiculous - that's what younger people tend to think today about being prudish during commercials!

The last time I was in France, I saw a broadcast TV bra commercial where a chant kept repeating in French, "Show me your tits!" and the models did.

For me, the low point of today's commercials is that they focus on cuteness and cleverness to the point where sometimes you don't even know what the product is if you missed the first five seconds or you don't know what it does.

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

For me, the low point of today's commercials is that they focus on cuteness and cleverness to the point where sometimes you don't even know what the product is if you missed the first five seconds or you don't know what it does.

I've noticed this a lot on drug commercials.  They mention what the drug is for at the very beginning of the ad, and then spend the rest of the time telling you how great it is and all of the possible side effects.  I'm usually not paying attention in the beginning, but about halfway through the ad, I become interested and want to know what the drug is and what it is used for, but they never address that info again.  Luckily, I can usually go back and repeat it, if I want.

52 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I've noticed this a lot on drug commercials.  They mention what the drug is for at the very beginning of the ad, and then spend the rest of the time telling you how great it is and all of the possible side effects.  I'm usually not paying attention in the beginning, but about halfway through the ad, I become interested and want to know what the drug is and what it is used for, but they never address that info again.  Luckily, I can usually go back and repeat it, if I want.

They use coded TLAs and FLAs.  Now that I finally caught on that COPD is the disease formerly known as emphysema, there are new ads for diseases with other new inscrutable TLAs and FLAs!

But I do enjoy all the entertainment value of auto insurance ads, but none of them ever entice me to switch.  Mike Mike Mike Mike!

20 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

But I do enjoy all the entertainment value of auto insurance ads, but none of them ever entice me to switch. 

Insurance companies are smart.  They must have done some in-depth studies and polls to determine the validity of their ad campaigns.  Or have they?  I guess I at least know that Progressive and GEICO exist, but not much else.    

Even if I was wanting to switch insurance companies, the ads are all stupid and unenticing.  Except for the USAA ads.  Unfortunately, I am not ex-military, so I don't qualify.  :(