Meanwhile on the other forum

Former member

Well, that makes me sad.  I posted there beginning in 2003.  Only left because the new forum was strange and then I got this invite.  It just felt good over here.  I try to post every now and then over there.  I miss a few people, especially since I left Facebook too.  I lost touch with some people I talked to for over ten years.

The LF keeps moving, but the others are pretty slow. Makes me sad. The LF can be obnoxious sometimes, but there is still some ok stuff there. I learned a lot about cycling on the other forums when I was getting back into it a few years ago.

There are a few people over there I'd like to see here. And a few people I would not.

Not funny Olas. ;)

Beans has been posting over there. More pics of Gina. Shocker I know. I wonder if she ever gets fed up with it? I would. But that's me.

And Aki is up to his usual BS. SO annoying.

Yes, I go to both forums regularly. But I am more comfortable here. AND the mobile version of this works WAY better than the other one! argh!  (nice job, SW!)

I joined the LF in 2002.  My first internet forum.  awwwwwwwww!

but this place is much better.  The stupid stuff that happens there is stupider than the stupid stuff that happens here.

You take that back!  You take that back right now.  Our stupid stuff is the most stupid!

• Heart 1

I joined the LF in 2002.  My first internet forum.  awwwwwwwww!

but this place is much better.  The stupid stuff that happens there is stupider than the stupid stuff that happens here.

The other place isn't visited very much simply because messageboards and bicycling.com itself are just increasingly irrelevant in light of social media. I see it as a situation where boards like this one are going to 'flare' for a little while, but boards overall are going to all but vanish, unless they have a particular draw. Bicycling however does have the advantage in that a few people may seek it out for advice (the beginners section has seen some traffic of late), and that's where I got started, in '04. I don't think I started making posts in the general discussion area until about 3 years after that. I would imagine however that within a year or so, Bicycling will close down the forums permanently. 

Olas, you regularly express your disappointment with this site.  You are clearly free to not participate.

Religion and politics are always heated debates and almost always get out of control.  They will be moved to a place where people can participate if they want.  That's my decision and I think I have the support of most people here on that.

This site needs a few more additions to make it more attractive.  Those will happen after the upgrade.  Once I have some money I plan to advertise this site.  After that I have no worries this site will be around for a long time.  You are very welcome to be a positive contributor, or feel free to keep posting your negative comments.  The choice is yours.

The other place isn't visited very much simply because messageboards and bicycling.com itself are just increasingly irrelevant in light of social media. I see it as a situation where boards like this one are going to 'flare' for a little while, but boards overall are going to all but vanish, unless they have a particular draw. Bicycling however does have the advantage in that a few people may seek it out for advice (the beginners section has seen some traffic of late), and that's where I got started, in '04. I don't think I started making posts in the general discussion area until about 3 years after that. I would imagine however that within a year or so, Bicycling will close down the forums permanently. 

I question whether social media spell the end to forums such as this one or the other one. 

Social media, and Facebook in particular, has the advantage and disadvantage of being able to reach massive numbers of people. With something like 1.3 billion users worldwide, it's possible to find a group for almost every interest on Facebook. But the number of Facebook groups means one specific group is not easy to find if there are many others dealing with roughly the same subject matter. It's easy to set up something new, but it's not easy to get it noticed.

I've got an account on Facebook and I've participated in a few groups there, but almost all have either been eliminated or become inactive, often within a one-year time frame. The ones which remain are not user-driven entities like the forums. Instead, one moderator or administrator sets up specific links and discussion topics each day and the participants respond to those. As a result, participant interaction is not the same as on a traditional forum, where the users have the freedom to set out the topics for discussion, respecting a few parameters set out by the administrator or moderator.

Olas, you regularly express your disappointment with this site.  You are clearly free to not participate.

Religion and politics are always heated debates and almost always get out of control.  They will be moved to a place where people can participate if they want.  That's my decision and I think I have the support of most people here on that.

This site needs a few more additions to make it more attractive.  Those will happen after the upgrade.  Once I have some money I plan to advertise this site.  After that I have no worries this site will be around for a long time.  You are very welcome to be a positive contributor, or feel free to keep posting your negative comments.  The choice is yours.

I didn't say anything about that... AT ALL. It was a joke. I do kinda get a laugh out of you guys continually patting yourselves on the back for leaving, like you were spousal abuse victims or something or were indentured under a harsh master for 7 years. 

Maybe it's you that sucks. 

I didn't say anything about that... AT ALL. It was a joke. I do kinda get a laugh out of you guys continually patting yourselves on the back for leaving, like you were spousal abuse victims or something or were indentured under a harsh master for 7 years. 

Maybe it's you that sucks. 

Blah blah blah.

Couch

• Heart 1

It's best to ignore people like that.  

Example:  Last night I was riding home and a bunch of Harley riding idiots were revving their motors at me and making pedaling motions as they passed me.  I never even looked their way.  I saw them in my peripheral, but Never flinched or looked over.  I wasn't going to give them the satisfaction of attention.  Sorry, you don't exist to me.

If I wanted attention I'd post here more than once every 3 weeks. I occasionally look to see if anything is happening, it isn't, but then, I see threads like this one. Same old stuff. My apologies for calling you out on it. As I said, it's kinda humorous, in a way.

As for 'coming back', please. I bow to the master, Z.

Joined the LF in 2001, I believe.

I'm still over there, but I get tired of thread-bombers who post six to eight new threads in a row, and the political and religious trolling.  The interface change doesn't bother me.

This forum is more friendly, less adversarial (mostly ;) ) and just doesn't have the issues I see regularly over there.

I occasionally look to see if anything is happening, it isn't, but then, I see threads like this one. Same old stuff. 

From what I can see, this forum is still in the process of defining itself. It is to be expected in the first months or years of a new forum. This process includes asking what separates this forum from others addressing the same subject matter. Eventually, as this place continues to evolve, the question of who we are will become less important as it becomes easier to see.

I question whether social media spell the end to forums such as this one or the other one. 

Social media, and Facebook in particular, has the advantage and disadvantage of being able to reach massive numbers of people. With something like 1.3 billion users worldwide, it's possible to find a group for almost every interest on Facebook. But the number of Facebook groups means one specific group is not easy to find if there are many others dealing with roughly the same subject matter. It's easy to set up something new, but it's not easy to get it noticed.

I've got an account on Facebook and I've participated in a few groups there, but almost all have either been eliminated or become inactive, often within a one-year time frame. The ones which remain are not user-driven entities like the forums. Instead, one moderator or administrator sets up specific links and discussion topics each day and the participants respond to those. As a result, participant interaction is not the same as on a traditional forum, where the users have the freedom to set out the topics for discussion, respecting a few parameters set out by the administrator or moderator.

Good comparison, Destination.  I vastly prefer the forum format to Facebook and its ilk.  So I sure hope the form doesn't die out.