If you are very interested in weather and tracking daily weather related data

Road Runner

Below is an excellent site for tracking daily local and national precipitation totals.  I just found this place about 6 months ago.  A huge network of backyard meteorologists.  It is a great asset for tracking current and past rainfall amounts near your specific location.  Rainfall amounts can vary greatly, even over relatively short distances.  So the total reported at your regional NWS official reporting station may vary greatly from what you experience where you live.  In most cases, this site can provide a much more accurate result for your location than an NWS report that may be a considerable distance from your home.  

You may already be aware of this site, but just in case you are interested: 

CoCoRaHS Maps

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Below is an excellent site for tracking daily local and national precipitation totals.  I just found this place about 6 months ago.  A huge network of backyard meteorologists.  It is a great asset for tracking current and past rainfall amounts near your specific location.  Rainfall amounts can vary greatly, even over relatively short distances.  So the total reported at your regional NWS official reporting station may vary greatly from what you experience where you live.  In most cases, this site can provide a much more accurate result for your location than an NWS report that may be a considerable distance from your home.  

You may already be aware of this site, but just in case you are interested: 

CoCoRaHS Maps

So what do we do with this sort of info?  Is the rain total in Richardson important info to store in our severely limited storage portions of our brain?

3 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

How specific can the site get? I am unconcerned with most of my fellow man but would prefer not to get rain on my 1969 Snapper Comet. 

Is the site predicting the weather or reporting the weather?  You might be too late if it is simply reporting that your 1969 Snapper Comet had .25" of precipitation on it yesterday.

3 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

How specific can the site get? I am unconcerned with most of my fellow man but would prefer not to get rain on my 1969 Snapper Comet. 

It only tells you how much rain fell at various locations.  It is not for predicting future rainfall.  

The next time you have rain, examine your area on the map and try to determine which reading is closest to your home.   

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

It only tells you how much rain fell at various locations.  It is not for predicting future rainfall.  

The next time you have rain, examine your area on the map and try to determine which reading is closest to your home.   

I would prefer just to ask you. Would this be too much trouble? 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

I would prefer just to ask you. Would this be too much trouble? 

It is much easier to just look at the map.  That's why I use the site.  I have my own rain gauges, but it is easier to let my neighbors measure and record it for me than it is to fool with my own gauges.  :D

• Heart 1

Just now, Road Runner said:

It is much easier to just look at the map.  That's why I use the site.  I have my own rain gauges, but it is easier to let my neighbors measure and record it for me than it is to fool with my own gauges.  :D

It would be more convenient for me if you could sent me a text alert each morning with the information. Thank you. 

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

What are your plans to put that knowledge into action?  I'm hoping it helps you with your glamping planning!

I will not run my sprinkler system.  I try not to turn it on until early summer when the spring rains go away.  Have not turned it on this year other than to look for freeze damage.

• Heart 2