My wife said I'm stupid but I proved her wrong

12string

The GTI, every couple days after running leaves a puddle, right under the coolant overflow.  The overflow burping like that usually means head gasket.  When I told my wife the diagnosis she told me I was stupid for not doing that when I had the engine stripped down to the cams.  And she was right.

UNTIL

I did some more digging and the problem finally revealed itself to be the water pump!  Which does not require stripping down to the cams!

Of course, it does require removing a bunch of stuff and lifting the engine a few inches.  Which was another thing I had already done and only would have taken 10 more minutes to do the water pump.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, 12string said:

My wife said I'm stupid but I proved her wrong

If she thinks you are stupid and you proved her wrong, what does that make her?  Stupider than stupid?  A total idiot?  You should explain this to her and she will undoubtedly see the error of her ways.  :)

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

If she thinks you are stupid and you proved her wrong, what does that make her?  Stupider than stupid?  A total idiot?  You should explain this to her and she will undoubtedly see the error of her your ways

fixed it... 

2 hours ago, 12string said:

The GTI, every couple days after running leaves a puddle, right under the coolant overflow.  The overflow burping like that usually means head gasket.  When I told my wife the diagnosis she told me I was stupid for not doing that when I had the engine stripped down to the cams.  And she was right.

UNTIL

I did some more digging and the problem finally revealed itself to be the water pump!  Which does not require stripping down to the cams!

Of course, it does require removing a bunch of stuff and lifting the engine a few inches.  Which was another thing I had already done and only would have taken 10 more minutes to do the water pump.

The problem would be solved if you put in a big block Ford motor. May I suggest a 429 Cobra Jet engine 

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Road Runner said:

If she thinks you are stupid and you proved her wrong, what does that make her?  Stupider than stupid?  A total idiot?  You should explain this to her and she will undoubtedly see the error of her ways.  :)

Do not take this advice. Trust me. 

• Haha 1

Sometimes when my father did something clever, he'd quote something from the old Charlie Chan detective movies, like "Pretty smart us Chinese," or if I did something smart he'd say, "Number one son figured it out."

He meant it as a compliment to the Chinese, but I was always careful to avoid repeating it: 1/12 of the students at the near-an-army-base high school where I taught were Asian or Asian-American.

5 hours ago, Road Runner said:

2 hours ago, Airehead said:

Do not take this advice. Trust me. 

Normally I'd agree with Aire.  But in this case RR gave good advice; really good advice.  All you have to do is act on it, and quickly before the situation goes stale.

And then report back to us on how all that worked out for you...

:popcorn:

• Hugs 1