Should I go ceramic?

12string

The Audi is WAY overdue for a wax.  Full detail, really.  I just don't have the time.  Local place will do it for $300.  But that's just wax, so it really should be re-done in 6 months.

for $1800 I can get a full detail with a 7 year ceramic coating.

I know the math is right, but I can't wrap my head around $1800 for a detail.

I don't have a garage, so it could really use the UV protection.

Convince me.

4 minutes ago, 12string said:

similar pricing, they say 18-24 months.  I can't complain about 5 or 7 years.  It's a reputable place.  Most of their customers would use my car as their junker.  

The ZX2 Package

22PLE ZX2 La Revoluzione - Paintwork
22PLE VR1 Plastic & Trim Restorer
VM1 Rim Coating (wheels removed)
9x harder than factory paint
6+ year warranty
$1,599

So what do you win if you have the shiniest car around?  It sounds like you win jack poop and you are just out the money, so it just seems like a bit of a waste.

I don't have a car, btw, but I remember detailing was for the time you are gonna sell it.  If I was spending your money, I just wouldn't get my car so damn filthy inside that it ever needs a detailing, and I would go to a car wash where they do the wash and vacuum it for you, then you tip the guys $5.  Are you having parties inside your car?  Giving little kids jello, yogurt, spaghetti, cupcakes, ice cream with sprinkles, etc?  Well, don't do that.

Does that help?

• Haha 1

I am sort'a in Dennis' camp.  I seldom wash my car.  And I would never pay good money to have my car ceramic coated.

That said, we picked up a 2012 Honda CRV in February for WoKzoo.  One owner and the previous owner had it ceramic coated when new (the literature was left in the glovebox with the owners manual).  The finish looks factory fresh - maybe better than factory fresh.

BTW - the used car pricing of the nice looking ceramic coated vehicle had nothing to do with the ceramic coating.

It's not so much about the shiniest car.  It's more like if I don't wax it I'll be paying for a paint job.  No garage.  Wax has zero UV protection.

I paid a lot (for me) for this car, I do want to take care of it.  It will be here a while.  The shiny part of the deal is a plus.

The truck, at 6 years old, would be a whole lot more.  I'm not sure that is worth it.

When the GTI paint is cured, I might coat that.  That would be about being shiny.

11 hours ago, 12string said:

The Audi is WAY overdue for a wax.  Full detail, really.  I just don't have the time.  Local place will do it for $300.  But that's just wax, so it really should be re-done in 6 months.

for $1800 I can get a full detail with a 7 year ceramic coating.

I know the math is right, but I can't wrap my head around $1800 for a detail.

I don't have a garage, so it could really use the UV protection.

Convince me.

$300 for car wax???

Get yourself a good buffing rag and get a wipe-on, wipe-off wax instead of spending $300.  Rain will still bubble from the wax 6 months later.

• Heart 1

I would hope you guy haven't gone ceramic for bottom brackets.  That's money that could have been better spent.

Ceramics are expensive.  They provide the best performance benefit at high rpm and load (not that piddling 300 rpm 1000w stuff).  They shouldn't be greased as the drag of the grease gives away most of the performance benefit.  They work best when lightly oiled.  Because they need to be lightly oiled often the cannot be sealed.  Now you get dirt in there and ............... pfft a very expensive do over.

I'll bet Razor is thinking about ceramic.

11 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I would hope you guy haven't gone ceramic for bottom brackets.  That's money that could have been better spent.

Ceramics are expensive.  They provide the best performance benefit at high rpm and load (not that piddling 300 rpm 1000w stuff).  They shouldn't be greased as the drag of the grease gives away most of the performance benefit.  They work best when lightly oiled.  Because they need to be lightly oiled often the cannot be sealed.  Now you get dirt in there and ............... pfft a very expensive do over.

I'll bet Razor is thinking about ceramic.

Razor HAD ceramic.  It is the BB of choice on all S-Works bikes, so my Tarmac had one. I replaced it at 10,000 miles with a "regular BB", since $400+ for a new ceramic BB didn't make sense to me :D

• Heart 1

I did switch to ceramic brakes on the VW, so far the wheels are relatively dust free.  Hard to tell, about the braking power since I just got the Master cylinder replaced when the water pump went all Vesuvius.  Should have used a ceramic bearing.  But I don't understand why anyone would tile the floor in ceramic when weather tech makes such nice floor coverings.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1