Trip planning

BR46

Talking with my son last night and race plans have changed. With the EF-4 tornado that ripped through his neighborhood and other things he will not be able to race in Topeka Kansas. We will instead be racing at New Jersey Motorsports Park in Millville New Jersey. 

Since we are not in a hurry to get anywhere we can take a week to get there and a week to get back. The goal is to avoid toll road (why pay tolls when we're not in a hurry to get there) and look for interesting and fun things on the back roads.

Never been to that area so it will be interesting. Any tips on what to see and what to avoid? 

But, seriously, a backroads path could take you through Gettysburg, Lancaster, into Philly, over to NJ and off to the shore.  Return via the ferry from Cape May to Lewes DE, out towards DC, across northern VA to WVA, through the mountains and valleys, camping out there, etc. 

Where is your starting point?  Smudge's shed is still not easy to find on Google maps (too close to CAnada?).

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BR46 said:

Talking with my son last night and race plans have changed. With the EF-4 tornado that ripped through his neighborhood and other things he will not be able to race in Topeka Kansas. We will instead be racing at New Jersey Motorsports Park in Millville New Jersey. 

Since we are not in a hurry to get anywhere we can take a week to get there and a week to get back. The goal is to avoid toll road (why pay tolls when we're not in a hurry to get there) and look for interesting and fun things on the back roads.

Never been to that area so it will be interesting. Any tips on what to see and what to avoid? 

I do the same in Jersey - avoid toll roads.  Going from Baltimore to relatives in Morristown, NJ, the normal route is to pay the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel Toll, the Maryland and Delaware I-95 tolls, then pay more tolls by crossing the Delaware Memorial Bridge, the NJ Turnpike, and the various other toll roads connecting to I-287.

Instead, I branch off on the no-toll section of I-95 that leaves the Delaware I-95 tollroad, take it up through Philadelphia and across the Delaware River near Trenton, then branch off on a minor road that takes you up through Princeton, NJ and some backroads until coming to a highway that takes you to I-287.  It not only saves a lot on tolls, it's faster!

• Heart 1

Don't try to avoid toll roads, especially if you are towing.  Unless you have plenty of extra time.  Do avoid I76 through Philly.  Be ready for traffic

Know that COVID's pretty rampant around here right now.

Don't expect to hang out in Vineland, it's not that nice.  The Philly food and beer scene is great, but not right now, and you're pretty far away.  Head into Hammonton, A couple very good food places.  Check out the cheese selection at Bagliani's, hit Chimney Rustic Ales for beer.  Head just a bit further northeast, start at Batsto, do some hiking in an ecosystem you have never seen before - the Jersey Pine Barrens.  

Do get to the shore, especially if it's before memorial day and you aren't fighting shoobies for space.  Not Atlantic City, start at Strathmere (free beaches!) and head south.

Take Route 40 out of Vineland, either direction, you'll see the New Jersey I know.

• Awesome 1

47 minutes ago, 12string said:

Don't try to avoid toll roads, especially if you are towing.  Unless you have plenty of extra time.  Do avoid I76 through Philly.  Be ready for traffic

Know that COVID's pretty rampant around here right now.

Don't expect to hang out in Vineland, it's not that nice.  The Philly food and beer scene is great, but not right now, and you're pretty far away.  Head into Hammonton, A couple very good food places.  Check out the cheese selection at Bagliani's, hit Chimney Rustic Ales for beer.  Head just a bit further northeast, start at Batsto, do some hiking in an ecosystem you have never seen before - the Jersey Pine Barrens.  

Do get to the shore, especially if it's before memorial day and you aren't fighting shoobies for space.  Not Atlantic City, start at Strathmere (free beaches!) and head south.

Take Route 40 out of Vineland, either direction, you'll see the New Jersey I know.

We have 4 days to get there and there's 2 sidecar teams from Philly that we probable hang out with after the race for a day or two. Sometimes we can stay a extra night at the race track and leave Monday morning. 

After Philly we might head up to the big water fall and do the tourist thing maybe find a place to do some mountain biking along the way. We don't have any reason to be in a hurry to get back home. 

11 minutes ago, BR46 said:

We have 4 days to get there and there's 2 sidecar teams from Philly that we probable hang out with after the race for a day or two. Sometimes we can stay a extra night at the race track and leave Monday morning. 

After Philly we might head up to the big water fall and do the tourist thing maybe find a place to do some mountain biking along the way. We don't have any reason to be in a hurry to get back home. 

Paterson falls really are cool!

There's actually ,pretty good mountain biking available right in the Philly city Limits - start at Valley Green Inn in the Wissahickon Valley Park

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1