Please provide a written solution, and show how you got there

Square Wheels

I'm guessing it has to do with a doppler effect of the 2 different motions.  They would never synchronize if they were on the table.  But the board is free to move laterally.  The board starts to move. That movement becomes more noticeable as the video progresses. 

The first metronome just barely starts to move the board.  The movement of the board affects the relative motion of the second metronome, which was nearly in sync to begin with. Those 2 metronomes move the board a bit more in the same rhythm.  The pattern repeats.  The board is moving more latterly because of the first 2 metronomes that are in sync.  Soon the 3rd mestome is affected by the lateral motion, until it is in sync, etc…   The longer the distance the board osculates latterly, the quicker the other metronomes will sync with the same motion.

Yeah, that my BS theory.   Until some other geek proves me wrong

• Heart 4

2 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

I'm guessing it has to do with a doppler effect of the 2 different motions.  They would never synchronize if they were on the table.  But the board is free to move laterally.  The board starts to move. That movement becomes more noticeable as the video progresses. 

The first metronome just barely starts to move the board.  The movement of the board affects the relative motion of the second metronome, which was nearly in sync to begin with. Those 2 metronomes move the board a bit more in the same rhythm.  The pattern repeats.  The board is moving more latterly because of the first 2 metronomes that are in sync.  Soon the 3rd mestome is affected by the lateral motion, until it is in sync, etc…   The longer the distance the board osculates latterly, the quicker the other metronomes will sync with the same motion.

Nailed it in one. The actual math is a little beyond my ability, but if you properly apply Newton's laws of motion and have more active brain cells than me, you should come to the same conclusion.

12 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

If you watch the next u tube video down the rabbit hole, the explanation is made with complete simplicity and detail.  solved.

There is an alternate solution which is to smash them all and display them all not operating in complete synchronization.

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

If you watch the next u tube video down the rabbit hole, the explanation is made with complete simplicity and detail. 

I didn't watch... it was late last night.  I guess I was awake enough to see the pattern.   :happyanim:

• Heart 1

I remember this puzzle and used it as a physics teacher but honestly don't remember the solution.

I know it has something to do with the Conservation of Momentum which is also related to "An applied force has an equal and opposite force."

There's a net force on the two out-of-sync metronomes due to the majority (three) metronomes having an opposite effect on the board.

If you remove the metronome on the left, my guess is that the four remaining would cancel each other out but I can't explain why all the metronomes are moving in sync at the end with the same amplitude as when they weren't synced at the beginning.  It may be related to the board motion of there may be something about the construction of the metronome that affects it.  I've used a metronome often when studying piano music, but usually an electronic one.

I'd look it up but I have to leave for a dental checkup in a couple minutes.