People in Hawaii dislike loud laughter

Dirtyhip

I thought this was going to be about people with loud voices - like me.  I blame it on having been a teacher, but it's very common among my paternal relatives!

Online in the 1990's, I met the wife of a distant cousin, Cindy, then in her 40's who lives in Juneau, Alaska and when a bunch of us decided to do an Inside Passage Alaska Cruise from Vancouver, I arranged for my mother and me to meet her at Juneau - where she took us to see the sites and meet other relatives.

I asked questions like, "What kind of tomatoes do you grow in your garden, considering the shorter growing season?"

My mother - also married into the family like Cindy - asked questions like, "Do the Cashens up here talk loud like the one's in Maryland?"

She said they did!

Cindy's late father created the Macaulay Salmon Hatchery - which is a popular $$ side trip for cruises - but Cindy's on the Board of Directors and we got a thorough, insider's look at it for free.  She'd pick up a fat female from the 20 or so 12' long, connected salmon-ladder-tanks running up from the river and say, "Ever since dad started this hatchery on our back porch, I can feel her belly and tell how many days before she'll lay eggs.  If she's real close, we'll move her up to one of the top tanks at the end of the ladder. If she's not close, we'll move her back down to the bottom."

At the Mendenhall Glacier, she pointed and said, "See those trees with the eagles in them? That's where we'd go when we hooked school."

She was surprised at how thrilled we were to see bald eagles!

An extremely pleasant and noteworthy day!

• Heart 1