I went out on a limb today

Thaddeus Kosciuszko

literally.

BAM! BANG!

And that was that.

I was driving down the road and suddenly a green curtain dropped in front of car.  I had just enough time to recognize the 'curtain' as a limb filled with leaves.  The car bounced in the air, thumped a couple times on the way down, and came to a stop.  Somewhere along the line I'd managed to get a foot on the brake and try to steer left to avoid the tree, but no luck.

I had to call a tow truck since the radiator was dripping antifreeze into the road.  Looks like at least a front end alignment as the front wheels didn't look like they'd track straight.  Busted up front bumper and plastic trim, and passenger side rocker panel dented up.  Front wheel bent and tire ripped up. I seem to be ok, maybe just banged my hand on the dash because the skin was scraped up a bit.

At first I was rather ticked at myself because I didn't avoid the tree, but it literally dropped right in front of the car. I didn't stand a chance.  A lady standing in front of her house saw it and thought the limb dropped on the car, it was that close.

This gives you an idea of the size of the limb that fell

01_zpsbc78c59e.jpg

If you look at the limb you can see a couple of white spots.  That's where my car took the bark off as it went up and over the limb.  That part of the limb was about 2 feet off the ground.

02_zpsf48d2af3.jpg

The front tire and rim with a bit of souvenir wood to knock on for good luck

04_zps0b262571.jpg

I was on my way to a meeting, and needless to say I didn't make it.  I called one of the engineers I was supposed to meet and he said "That has to be the best excuse I ever heard to get out of a meeting!" 

• Heart 3

Well apparently you haven't heard of the Governors new program "limbs 4 limbs" In order to crack down on reckless drivers speeding down the highways, who could potentially get into an accident and lose a limb, he has ordered all street trees to drop their limbs in front of such drivers. I really can't believe you haven't heard of this, you live right there next to the guy. I'm sure there will be a press release this morning giving him credit for it. :)

• Heart 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I had a coworker and her husband who were killed when a tree fell on their car, so I think about that risk more than I used to.  Very glad you are ok and it was only the car (and the tree) that had serious injury.