I don't know that I am necessarily so excited about Jadeveon Clowney signing with the Browns

Randomguy

He has been hurt all the time, it seems, and he doesn't seem to get a lot of sacks on paper (or the field).  He is hard to figure because he has always been hurt or double-teamed, or so people would have you believe.  What don't I know about this?

They still need linebackers, and it wouldn't hurt to also take an edge guy with the first round pick anyway.

Discus.

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

He has been hurt all the time, it seems, and he doesn't seem to get a lot of sacks on paper (or the field).  He is hard to figure because he has always been hurt or double-teamed, or so people would have you believe.  What don't I know about this?

They still need linebackers, and it wouldn't hurt to also take an edge guy with the first round pick anyway.

Discus.

Dude is GREAT when healthy.  I have rarely seen him healthy :(

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Wasn’t he with @Dottles Seahawks a year or two ago? I don’t recall if he made an impact or not. 

Aaron Donald gets his but as opposing teams focus on him, those around him benefit. If Clowney can draw double teams still it could still be a benefit to others on the browns D.

It is unlikely that he would be double teamed, due to Garrett being on the other side, plus the defensive line is pretty solid.  I guess we will see.

14 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I'm glad he's become your problem now.

So I guess he wasn't a world-beater last year, right?  I know he was expensive last year, and the Browns are paying him $10,000,000 this year.   

I realized that that is a lot of money when I was typing that out.

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Wasn’t he with @Dottles Seahawks a year or two ago? I don’t recall if he made an impact or not. 

Aaron Donald gets his but as opposing teams focus on him, those around him benefit. If Clowney can draw double teams still it could still be a benefit to others on the browns D.

I like Clowney.  He single handedly blew up the 49ers on Monday night television and he had some good games in between.  But he was damaged goods a lot and sat out at least halft those games.  When the guy is healthy and on the field, he's a problem.  But based on his history, I'm not so sure the value is there with the contract he's getting.  Maybe that changes this year? I like him.

• Heart 1

33 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

It is unlikely that he would be double teamed, due to Garrett being on the other side, plus the defensive line is pretty solid.  I guess we will see.

So I guess he wasn't a world-beater last year, right?  I know he was expensive last year, and the Browns are paying him $10,000,000 this year.   

I realized that that is a lot of money when I was typing that out.

I totally forgot about Garrett... Maybe then a diminished Clowney gets a boost lining up with Garrett?  Still doesn’t seem like a good contract but IDK much about the Browns. 

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

Discus.

On the Ravens site they talked the about the possibility of the Ravens going seriously after Clowney and said he's very effective when healthy. As you said, health is the big question mark.

The Ravens are currently getting two supplemental 4th Round draft picks in 2022 and if they sign an edge rusher or anyone else before May 3rd, they will lose one of those picks. The Ravens cherish their picks and consistent choose well. There's a debate on the Ravens site if it's worth losing a supplemental pick to sign Justin Houston now - he was recently interviewed in Baltimore - and the overwhelming sentiment is "yes." Houston is looking to sign with a team before the NFL Draft begins on April 29.  Houston, 32, had 19 sacks and 30 quarterback hits in 32 games with the Colts the past 2 years.

Melvin Ingram III is the other elite pass rusher that's a free agent this year.

But the Ravens have drafted good edge rushers in the 3rd through 5th round over the years, including Matthew Judon who left and generated one of those supplemental picks.