Home bike rack question

Randomguy

I have a bike.  If I could, I would like to get it off the ground, HIGH off the ground.  This is because the apartment real estate is limited, but I have 14' or 15' ceilings, so there is room up there.  

My question is this:  Is there a bike rack that would squeeze my bike against the wall, but high in the air, and with a system that makes it easy to mount and unmount from the wall when I want to go for a ride?

Look at this one. It goes against the wall. You can put the bike on the top hooks and hang you other bike stuff off the lower hooks. I've actually seen it used with the lower hooks removed and a foot stool at the base (straddling the angled out legs) so you have a place to put your shoes on and off.

61vFpEAlvJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Heart 2

9 minutes ago, groupw said:

It's a great concept, but don't be fooled like I was.  :facepalm:

I bought one of those for our tandem.  The heads of the mounting screws strip out even if you drill pilot holes.  The bicycle does not raise or lower evenly as the picture implies.  The greater friction on one pulley or the other causes one end of the bike to completely raise/lower unless you even it up by hand on the way.  The locking mechanism for the rope is unreliable, and often takes some finesse to convince it to release.  The rope is too thin for a heavy bike like the tandem (even though it was advertised as such) so it bites into your hands as you work the rope.  It might be ok for a lighter single bike.

You'd be better off going to a hardware store or big box store and buying all the parts yourself.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, denniS said:

I uses these.

1017181404.jpg

We have one of those.  

The rest hang out in this enormous rack you might see at an apartment building.  It's like this giant chunk of steel.  Hard to move.  It's so full.  I can't buy any bikes, unless one goes away.  :(

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

That is sad indeed. :(

Perhaps though, you could one day consider building a house of your own design with one of those shipping container things for extra storage, and maybe even with enough property like a couple acres or so that you could use that for extra bike storage and maybe even squeeze a pump track in between all of that.  Crazy idea, I know...

;)

OMG!!!  I keep forgetting about the box.  When we move out of the box, it will be mostly empty.

You are brilliant.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1