Would tasing be justified?

Square Wheels

Happened all the freaking time... I don’t know why he even engaged in a dialogue with her.  Who cares how long he’s been a cop or how many citations... It just pisses them off more like it did her.

With people like her I was usually like, Uh huh, yes mam, absolutely....  OK here you go, I am citing you for texting & driving, please sign here. This is only a notice to appear not an admission of guilt...  

• Heart 3

Here's some more on the officer and the "is texting while driving a primary offense" question

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/local-news/columbus-police-targeting-texting-and-driving-through-end-of-september/

Conner says the issue got personal a couple of years ago.

“An elderly gentleman using a flip phone and texting actually ran me off the roadway into a COTA bus stop,” Conner said. 

Now he sees violators every day and it has become his passion.

In Ohio, state law says texting while driving is a secondary offense for drivers 18 and older. That means someone would have to be pulled over for another traffic violation before additionally being charged with texting while driving. 

But Columbus and some other municipalities in Ohio have local laws making texting while driving a primary offense.

One time I got pulled over for holding my phone in my hands right after the hands free law went into effect. I had it in my hand answering a call and was putting it down when I rolled past a CHP.

He just asked me if I knew why he pulled me over. Yea it was in my hand, I understand, do what you have to do.  The chippy paused for a minute and said Im sorry but we have a zero tolerance right now, I got to cite you.  Yeah for sure, I understand it was in my hand.

When he handed me the ticket he thanked me for my understanding & cooperation. He was almost apologetic. 

It never helps to be a dick.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

EVERY kid I grew when growing up, White, Black, Asian, and half-French + half-Cherokee, was taught that you don't antagonize a cop, you do what the cop says, and if you disagree with it you pursue justice AFTERWARD and alive.

The woman arguing petty points after being caught texting was ridiculous.  Note that my car was rear ended in 2019 while stopped at a light by a guy texting, so I know it's not a trivial thing - is he was going a little faster I'd have ended up hospitalized.

I've told the story before here about 7 of us Jaycees in our 20's and 30's packed in my car getting stopped at a rural intersection by 4 cop cars blocking each direction and with their guns drawn.  When they said, "Step out of the car with your hands raised," guess what we did"

We stepped out of the car with our hands raised.  The cops immediately realized we weren't the people they were after and disappeared in a flash.  If we had argued with the cops that we weren't getting out of the car while they had guns trained on us, etc. we might not be alive now and it would be OUR fault.

12 hours ago, ChrisL said:

One time I got pulled over for holding my phone in my hands right after the hands free law went into effect. I had it in my hand answering a call and was putting it down when I rolled past a CHP.

He just asked me if I knew why he pulled me over. Yea it was in my hand, I understand, do what you have to do.  The chippy paused for a minute and said Im sorry but we have a zero tolerance right now, I got to cite you.  Yeah for sure, I understand it was in my hand.

When he handed me the ticket he thanked me for my understanding & cooperation. He was almost apologetic. 

It never helps to be a dick.

OMG, this.  Just smile say thank you and "yes sir, no sir".  I have gotten out of so many situations by just being nice and respectful.  

• Heart 1

She is awesome.  Makes me miss working the road.  

When people argue I just use to say "You dont have to convince me, you have to convince the judge "...., and one time I told them if they didn't stop driving like that they would die in an accident and probably end up in my "stupid dead people photo album"

I am glad I got off the road before cell phones had cameras

• Heart 1

21 hours ago, MickinMD said:

EVERY kid I grew when growing up, White, Black, Asian, and half-French + half-Cherokee, was taught that you don't antagonize a cop, you do what the cop says, and if you disagree with it you pursue justice AFTERWARD and alive.

The woman arguing petty points after being caught texting was ridiculous.  Note that my car was rear ended in 2019 while stopped at a light by a guy texting, so I know it's not a trivial thing - is he was going a little faster I'd have ended up hospitalized.

I've told the story before here about 7 of us Jaycees in our 20's and 30's packed in my car getting stopped at a rural intersection by 4 cop cars blocking each direction and with their guns drawn.  When they said, "Step out of the car with your hands raised," guess what we did"

We stepped out of the car with our hands raised.  The cops immediately realized we weren't the people they were after and disappeared in a flash.  If we had argued with the cops that we weren't getting out of the car while they had guns trained on us, etc. we might not be alive now and it would be OUR fault.

Let's not forget BikerBilly from "the other place." He was killed by a texting driver while he was riding in a bike lane. 

• Sad 2