Is your mailbox mounted on your house next to your front door

jsharr
Go to solution Solved by Longjohn,

5 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

At the end of a long driveway like you are supposed to.

I could see if you were not an all hat no cattle  surbanite like myself and actually lived in the country instead of just wearing boots and jeans and a cowboy hat, how this could be necessary.

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

Sounds like a what a bunch of hippie Californians would do.  

Yeah man communal mail. We distribute the mail with our allotment of granola & honey.  If I get my neighbors bill we do them a solid & pay it.  Once a week we do a communal drum session and sing kumbaya.

• Haha 2

If my mailbox were on my house I'd never get any mail.  The postal delivery people are forbidden to drive up a driveway here anymore for fear they will crash backing up.  Now, any mail that doesn't fit in my box.......125' away from the house has to be hand carried by them to the front porch.  I used to meet them out there and carry those things in myself but now with covid they aren't allowed to get within 6 feet of us.  My mail lady is very nice.  Sometimes I meet her out there and have her set the package on the ground before retreating to the sanctity of her mobile mail delivery device.

They run a second special truck for package delivery sometimes.  That driver attempts to stuff boxes into my mail box that have to be crushed to fit.  Him I give no Christmas present to.  Jerk.

• Heart 1

I used to have a mailbox on a pole at the street.  It rusted out, so I replaced it with a wooden post.  It rotted a bit and it got hit by a car, so I moved my mailbox to my porch.  Much easier for me.

Now I do not have to make that long walk up and down those steps each day.  Just open the door, step out and grab my mail, then toss it in the trash.
image.thumb.png.30a895915206719f5b88a91f1af0b20f.png

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, jsharr said:

like any sane person mounts theirs, or are you a barbarian with a mailbox on a pole at the street, or even worse, a mail room? 

Barbarian here.  Mailbox will be way down the street.  I will hit the mailbox on my ride up the hill. 

At my city house it is also on a pole at the street.  Some people have them attached to their home.  We put in fencing and attached the box to this arbor thing.

• Heart 1

Mailboxes at the end of the cul de sac for all the condo units in the cul de sac. This past year walking out to put out the garbage and get the mail has been my primary exercise.

• Heart 2

My old mailbox was on the wall of the house, next to the front door.

I think the next permanent one is going to be a larger mailbox at the side of the railing running down my porch steps.

I have to set up a temporary one this weekend and it will be in the grass of my yard, close to the front fence. There's still a month of work to do at my house and my USPS free mail forwarding ends Sunday.

Mine is across the street, I get to tune my cognitive abilities and agility by dodging the high speed traffic that pops over the hill and blasts past my house.

When the state troupers set up a radar trap over the top of the rise, about 1/4 mile from my house, they pull speeders over in a parking lot just down the street from my house. They catch one about every 5 minutes. They spend longer doing the paperwork than taking radar.

1 hour ago, Further said:

Mine is across the street, I get to tune my cognitive abilities and agility by dodging the high speed traffic that pops over the hill and blasts past my house.

When the state troupers set up a radar trap over the top of the rise, about 1/4 mile from my house, they pull speeders over in a parking lot just down the street from my house. They catch one about every 5 minutes. They spend longer doing the paperwork than taking radar.

Note the guard rail to give the drivers a fighting chance and me a bit of a challenge in jumping over the rail to get out of the way   :nyanya:

IMG_4889.JPG

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Further said:

Frogger! 

On 4/16/2021 at 9:01 AM, ChrisL said:

We have shared mail boxes distributed throughout the community

So do we. It was strongly suggested after numerous incidents of ruffians driving down the street destroying mailboxes with a bat. We replaced our box three times in as many years. 

On 4/16/2021 at 11:08 AM, jsharr said:

I used to have a mailbox on a pole at the street.  It rusted out, so I replaced it with a wooden post.  It rotted a bit and it got hit by a car, so I moved my mailbox to my porch.  Much easier for me.

Now I do not have to make that long walk up and down those steps each day.  Just open the door, step out and grab my mail, then toss it in the trash.
image.thumb.png.30a895915206719f5b88a91f1af0b20f.png

How does your mail delivery person drive up those steps?  Someone mush have skill.

• Awesome 1