What Sort Of Mileage Do You Have

Razors Edge

11 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

For mine, probably 95-97% has been on pavement.  Gravel to get to my daughters place and a few remote canoe spots

I like that you could WAG that without too much snark!

Do you decide your tire choice using that?  I'm wondering how to make that sort of decision - more road-friendly & better mileage tires, vs more off-roady kinds that are noisier, less efficient, but better when needed in rough conditions.

1 minute ago, 12string said:

hardly ever "off road".  That's not what I bought it for, and I don't want to scratch the paint. I juts have little reason to go offroad in my truck

So likely a more "all season" tire choice?  Trying to see if there is a sweet spot where a more aggressive tire makes sense.

BTW - How many cars, trucks, SUVs, racecars do you have????

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Do you decide your tire choice using that?  I'm wondering how to make that sort of decision - more road-friendly & better mileage tires, vs more off-roady kinds that are noisier, less efficient, but better when needed in rough conditions.

I'm considering these for my next tires. Good for off-road and winter.

fa_wildpeak_at_trail_rbl_full.jpg?imwidth=440&impolicy=tow-pdp-main

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

So likely a more "all season" tire choice?  Trying to see if there is a sweet spot where a more aggressive tire makes sense.

BTW - How many cars, trucks, SUVs, racecars do you have????

I use a Michelin LTX all season.  I only have 3 cars/trucks right now.

My wife’s Crosstrek has never gone off pavement..

I took my jeep out often, maybe 10% of the miles  though compared to road miles.  It got zero off road use when my wife & then kids drove it. I had my 4X4 truck pre marriage & kids and went bushwhacking often. But still maybe 25% of the miles. Maybe less as I had to drive a ways to even get to the trails.

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Those look relatively mild.  I could see them being pretty good on road and not a huge trade-off.

I'm trying to find something that will work well on pavement and not be too rough and loud, but give good traction on dirt/gravel and in the snow. We get a lot of snow and the chain law is in effect quite often on the pass.

Just now, denniS said:

I'm trying to find something that will work well on pavement and not be too rough and loud, but give good traction on dirt/gravel and in the snow. We get a lot of snow and the chain law is in effect quite often on the pass.

I see (hear) a lot of trucks with fairly aggressive off road tires.  In my mind, I would go nuts with that over any long distance or everyday use, BUT I see their value if/when I would want to head down a long fire road or un-maintained unpaved road.  Less snow to worry about, but it would be nice if they were good in that as well. 

6 minutes ago, denniS said:

I’m seriously considering a Subaru Outback for my next car and the new Wilderness edition is being spec’d with these: https://www.yokohamatire.com/geolandar-tires

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I see (hear) a lot of trucks with fairly aggressive off road tires.  In my mind, I would go nuts with that over any long distance or everyday use, BUT I see their value if/when I would want to head down a long fire road or un-maintained unpaved road.  Less snow to worry about, but it would be nice if they were good in that as well. 

Yeah blinged out trucks & SUV’s are popular out here but most never take them off road. I had BF Goodrich All Terrain TA’s on my truck and they were loud.  I put more of an all season tire on my jeep for better road performance.

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I’m seriously considering a Subaru Outback for my next car and the new Wilderness edition is being spec’d with these: https://www.yokohamatire.com/geolandar-tires

I have Geolander's on my Crosstrek and I'm not wild about them. Mostly, it's the snow and ice where they are weak. They've been fine on pavement and only occasionally lose traction on dirt and gravel. 

The Outback is pretty sweet. Have they announced pricing yet?

17 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm not a fan of loud tires. Snow and ice is a big deal here so good tires are key. Some people switch to snow tires for winter, but I don't have a place to store extra tires.

3 minutes ago, denniS said:

I have Geolander's on my Crosstrek and I'm not wild about them. Mostly, it's the snow and ice where they are weak. They've been fine on pavement and only occasionally lose traction on dirt and gravel. 

The Outback is pretty sweet. Have they announced pricing yet?

I haven’t seen pricing yet. The XT Onyx is around $38K so I’m guessing it’s around $40, maybe a touch more.

Just now, denniS said:

Yikes. That is more than I have paid for every car I have ever owned combined.

I’m actually looking for a used one in a year or two. I’ll be looking for a lease trade in 2019 XT as they still have the 3.6 V6 engine that’s in my Legacy.  I love that engine but if I find a 2020 or newer with the turbo 2.4 I’ll get that one.

Not likely I’ll buy new either. 

10 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I’m actually looking for a used one in a year or two. I’ll be looking for a lease trade in 2019 XT as they still have the 3.6 V6 engine that’s in my Legacy.  I love that engine but if I find a 2020 or newer with the turbo 2.4 I’ll get that one.

Not likely I’ll buy new either. 

Gotcha. My Crosstrek is a lease trade in. 33k on the odo. I love it. I actually found a manual transmission. It's dirty as hell though. Taking it to the desert was dusty.  Someone told me, they will do all models as a wilderness edition in the future.

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, denniS said:

Gotcha. My Crosstrek is a lease trade in. 33k on the odo. I love it. I actually found a manual transmission. It's dirty as hell though. Taking it to the desert was dusty.  Someone told me, they will do all models as a wilderness edition in the future.

Yeah I like the Onyx edition too but it’s more cosmetic. The wilderness edition is designed to be more off road capable.  They made standard many of the mods the people taking them off road were doing to them.

My Jeep, when I had it, was mostly a pavement princess. I put close to 28,000 miles on it in the 2.5 years that I owned it. Less than 100 were off-road miles. Came in handy for a few snowflakes but nothing much beyond that. I liked the feeling of knowing that it would handle anything I threw at it. I’ll buy another when Wo7’s Mazda gets paid off. (2023)

34 minutes ago, denniS said:

I need a roofbox for mine. My GF has the Outback with a sweet Yakima box for our skis and gear. I have my seats folded down all the time to carry my skis. I did put a nice Rockymounts rack on it.

My friend opted for a sportsmobile.

IMG_8802.jpeg

IMG_20210405_150926929_HDR.jpg

What I like about the Outback is the ability to just toss a bike in the back. I often ride after/before work and prefer my bike be in a car.

However... I’m also looking at the Mazda CX30 turbo.  I’d probably struggle to fit a bike in it but damn I loved my Mazda 3 and with a turbo! Yeeeha! 

11 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

What I like about the Outback is the ability to just toss a bike in the back. I often ride after/before work and prefer my bike be in a car.

However... I’m also looking at the Mazda CX30 turbo.  I’d probably struggle to fit a bike in it but damn I loved my Mazda 3 and with a turbo! Yeeeha! 

I did that for a while before I got the rack and it drove me crazy. I am beyond lazy. My rack has a lock. I'm not sure how secure it is, but I guess it's a deterrent. 

My GF had an Audi allroad turbo. That car was a blast to drive. It hauled ass. Then the turbo went kapoot and it's $5k to repair. She's not wild about the Outback because it's pretty boring. Last week, she drove our friend's VW R. 315 HP. Holy shit is it quick. I think she'd like another German car.

2022 Volkswagen Golf R: What We Know So Far

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

That works.  I'll pencil you in a "7".

Realistically, I'd say once a week. Our mtb trails are in the NF and those roads are unpaved. Some are 4x4 only. Clearance is the biggest issue because the roads are not maintained. Some are dicey even in a Subaru. Towing can cost $1k

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I buy mine for year round weather and get 'mud and snow' as they are required for certain times of year here.  I have never just bought for my gravel road driving as I do so little of it

1 hour ago, denniS said:

I need a roofbox for mine. My GF has the Outback with a sweet Yakima box for our skis and gear. I have my seats folded down all the time to carry my skis. I did put a nice Rockymounts rack on it.

My friend opted for a sportsmobile.

IMG_8802.jpeg

IMG_20210405_150926929_HDR.jpg

Good.  Your buying my tires.