A few minor thoughts on my e-bike experience

Dottleshead

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Get a motorcycle.  You'll like that even better.  

Maxie.  Petal Assist is not a throttle.  If I wanted a throttle, I would have bought a motorcycle.  Wait.  No I wouldn't have.  Those things make road pizza and scrambled eggs out of people.  Much safer to be on the road on a bike.  Right??  I mean right??  Cars and bikes go together.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

I’m all for it! 
Been noticing that almost everyone riding bikes has either a grimace on their face or hunched up shoulders. I can only imagine the cell damage they’re undergoing from all that stress, the wash of cortisol in their bloodstream, the tissue inflammation. This is supposed to be fun. Liberating even! If e-bike pedal assist keeps the ride fun, then let’s do that. 

• Hugs 1

1 minute ago, roadsue said:

I’m all for it! 
Been noticing that almost everyone riding bikes has either a grimace on their face or hunched up shoulders. I can only imagine the cell damage they’re undergoing from all that stress, the wash of cortisol in their bloodstream, the tissue inflammation. This is supposed to be fun. Liberating even! If e-bike pedal assist keeps the ride fun, then let’s do that. 

Hmmm, good point!

12 hours ago, Dottles said:

For a guy who hasn't ridden in 9 months, I find having the pedal assist is really a great thing.  It's true it does steal away some of the magic knowing I self propelled my way down the road for 20 miles, but really the only thing I notice is that I can go further and faster as my cadence never really changes.  The other thing that became clear, is that I no longer had pockets of what I'll call muscle fatigue and I was grinding it out.  Oh except once on the steepest hill.  But I alleviated that by kicking up the level of assist from the lowest to the middle.  If I kicked into the highest I'd probably be in @Razors Edge back yard.  I think I'm still in the market for a new steel frame and a touring/zippier bike -- but there's really no rush.  I can ride with no assist at all and get even a greater workout because the bike is heavier -- but then it comes with a built in granny gear with a small front chain ring so it's one half doze the other.  But I think the biggest gain of an e-bike is they are incredible hill busters.  I ride 20 miles, I hit that big hill near home and I cruise right up it without destroyed hammies and sweat dripping down my chest.  Well not as much anyway.

The end.

There is a pinned topic at the top of the Cafe for adding your ride to the cumulative community total.  Just sayin.....  :whistle:

• Heart 1

48 minutes ago, roadsue said:

I’m all for it! 

I always noticed the opposite on bike trails - usually miles of smiles from the casual bikers!

4 hours ago, roadsue said:

I’m all for it! 

I've always had very strong legs even running with the cross country teenagers I coached into my 50's.  But the trapezius muscles coming down from my neck to my shoulders cramp up on me if I haven't been riding for a while.

• Heart 1