What's up with Dandelions?

Road Runner
Go to solution Solved by BR46,

6 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

They aren't dandy and they aren't lions.  They should be called "disgustingalmostimpossibletokillweeds".   :angry:  

They are lovely. Preferably in your yard, but lovely. Clover is also very nice and attracts honeybees. You can't dislike honeybees. 

• Heart 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

Maybe, but it allows me to justify a yard full of dandelions to my neighbors.  ;)

That's what my neighbor just told me the other day.  I was telling him about my trials and travails with the dandelion problems in my yard and he gave me some song and dance story about how they are good for your lawn.  What a load of crap.  He just doesn't want to be bothered with trying to curb their takeover of his lawn.  That bastard!  :angry:

• Hugs 1

I have hated dandelions my whole life, probably got it from my father.  I hunted them with a passion every Spring.

Until D2 took her bee keeping course from Penn State and she so patiently explained to me how the dandelions are one of the first food sources for bees each spring as they begin to rebuild after a winter of eating stored honey. 

And we all know how important bees are to our environment.  This year, I will let them grow.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

• Solution
6 hours ago, Zephyr said:

I have hated dandelions my whole life, probably got it from my father.  I hunted them with a passion every Spring.

Until D2 took her bee keeping course from Penn State and she so patiently explained to me how the dandelions are one of the first food sources for bees each spring as they begin to rebuild after a winter of eating stored honey. 

And we all know how important bees are to our environment.  This year, I will let them grow.

The 3 properties that join up to my yard grow plenty of dandelions for the bees

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Zephyr said:

I hate them also. My father would make me dig them up with a spoon. I suggested using weed killer but I think he just wanted to keep my hyperactive self busy. One day he went fishing and my mother went shopping. I ran up to the hardware store and bought some weed killer. I believe that my dad was disappointed when the dandelions started dying.

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Road Runner said:

They aren't dandy and they aren't lions.  They should be called "disgustingalmostimpossibletokillweeds".   :angry:  

In Holland they call them horse flowers “paart blommen” as horses eat them.   You can call them horse flowers if you like. 

• Heart 2

I have a neighbor who keeps bees. I keep my dandelions in the spring for them. I try to keep chemical use to a minimum and only play the green lawn myth to the point of mowing and reseeding. I watered 3 times last year. 0 the previous 2 years. It may not look like my neighbor’s country club lawn, but it looks decent and I am not held captive to maintenance as so many are. 

• Heart 1

I am a freaking weirdo when it comes to dandelions. I like them. They’re good for bees. The flowers make great wine and mead (as long as no azzho is spraying them with cancer inducing chemicals) and the leaves are packed with nutrients that belong in your mixed greens salad. I used to see them as a weed but now they are part on my ecosystem.  

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

15 hours ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

They are lovely. Preferably in your yard, but lovely. Clover is also very nice and attracts honeybees. You can't dislike honeybees. 

We had a beekeeper in our neighborhood as I was growing up and honeybees everywhere.  Since we kids often ran around barefoot, I think the couple dozen of us Baby Boomers on our block each were stung fairly often.

But, by the time we were 10 or 12, bee stings often didn't bother us much.  You got stung, you pulled the stinger out and kept on playing whatever you were playing.

They say that snake venom harvesters develop a lot of immunity to the venom from getting bit from time to time.  I think the same happened to us with the bee stings.

• Heart 1

On 4/17/2021 at 12:34 AM, Road Runner said:

They are eatable and make very tasty food.  They have beautiful flowers. It is fun to blow the seed into the wind toward Roadrunners lawn.  Sheep like them too.  They delight children to make chains and flower gifts for their mother. Should I go on?

• Heart 1

On 4/17/2021 at 8:53 AM, team scooter said:

I took the hint when my neighbor sprayed the dandelions in his yard, and then continued on into half of my yard until he ran out of chemical. Must have waited until I left for work. Like I wouldn't notice, or guess who did it. :rolleyes:

Revenge, I would let the half he didn’t spray go to seed and when the wind is blowing his direction  mow them off.

• Heart 2

Is dandelion a French name?

"Dan" is an English or French nickname.

"de" is French for "of."

"Lyon" is a city in France.

So maybe dandelion comes from Dan of Lyon.

We've got Black Eyed Susans, why not a flower named after a boy?  Or maybe it's Danielle.

I doubt it but it was fun considering it!

• Heart 1

14 hours ago, Further said:

The day that a dandelion is my biggest problem will be a happy day.

My yard has gone to hell since the house fire.  Yesterday, I mowed the lawn for the first time this spring and there were two huge bunches of dandelions growing on each side of the front gate, looking like they were planted intentionally!  If they weren't blocking the opening a little, I'd have left them alone!

1 minute ago, Kirby said:

My Mom would always start her dandelion discussion with  "I know they're supposed to be weeds but. . .".  I've always been rather fond of them.

I mainly dislike them because after I spend many hours mowing and trimming my yard to lawn perfection, the next day they pop up their stupid yellow heads and ruin all my hard work.  :angry: 

• Whatever 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/17/2021 at 4:55 AM, Longjohn said:

I have a whole 2 acres of beautiful dandelions. I’m holding off mowing them until after they go to seed. Spread the joy.

Honestly, dandelions are beautiful wildflowers.  I'm a fan of them in large groupings, not onesie twosie.

image.thumb.png.7222c95234f1e2c71ad1c6042e52f7ca.png

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Honestly, dandelions are beautiful wildflowers.  I'm a fan of them in large groupings, not onesie twosie.

I agree.  If my neighbors and the city would let me have a lawn of dandelions like your pic, that would be fine.  But just one here, and two there and such, looks like crap.

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

I agree.  If my neighbors and the city would let me have a lawn of dandelions like your pic, that would be fine.  But just one here, and two there and such, looks like crap.

Wow - scared of the neighbors and their "opinions"????

This thread isn't about dandelions, it's about SNOWFLAKES!!!! :o

• Awesome 1

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Wow - scared of the neighbors and their "opinions"????

This thread isn't about dandelions, it's about SNOWFLAKES!!!! :o

The city here will cut your grass for you if you don't do it yourself.  Then they fine you $200.  I guess I'm a snowflake.  :(

Just now, Road Runner said:

The city here will cut your grass for you if you don't do it yourself.  Then they fine you $200.  I guess I'm a snowflake.  :(

Scrap the grass and go all dandelion!!!  Why keep the grass when you can have a beautiful yard full of wildflowers?

Or with the city come and cut your garden too?

• Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

If they tried to do that where I live they might get shot.

They have a statute here that regulates the height of the growth.  I think it is 12 inches.  Anything over that and a neighbor complains and the city crew will come out and mow your yard.  For a slight fee, of course.  :)

2 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

They have a statute here that regulates the height of the growth.  I think it is 12 inches.  Anything over that and a neighbor complains and the city crew will come out and mow your yard.  For a slight fee, of course.  :)

So tomato plants or sunflowers are gonna get mowed down if a neighbor doesn't like your plants and flowers? 

55 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Be the trend setter.  Seed your lawn like that. That would be awesome.  Save money on toxic chemicals and mowing. Feed the bees instead of killing them.

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

The bees and I have a pact.  They don't bother me and I don't bother them.  Except for carpenter bees.  I have no pact with them.

I can't remember ever having an issue with a bee.  Sure, carpenter bees can be destructive, but pretty much all the other bees out there seem to be friendly and of the "just let me be a bee" kind.  Darn useful little creatures.  I think @Digital_photog is very smart.