So...! had an interesting evening...

UglyBob

Oh dear. I am paranoid about cooking just about any other meat besides beef where it is hard to tell the doneness. So I really usually overcook chicken, pork, fish, and now shrimp. :D  Glad you’re ok now.  Sheesh!

I have had some burgers that were too red for me but thankfully I dodged those bullets.  

• Heart 1

Glad you're ok.  I've heard of the "heartbreak of psoriasis" but not the "heartache of scromboid poisoning."

I used to throw frozen shrimp into boiling water for 5 minutes, then learned it's safer to put them in a big bowl of room-temp water for 20 minutes to thaw them out, then steam or boil them 3 min.

Hopefully, I'll avoid scourge of scromboid!

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, smudge said:

Be sure to send your bill to Rubio's.

Glad you didn't have to join the heart attack club. How are you feeling now? Doin' ok?

Yeah, already a member of the heart attack club. That's why I didn't take any chances with this. Feeling almost back to normal this morning.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

3 hours ago, Further said:

I never worry about seafood being cooked enough, the sushi thing put me at ease about it. Guess I'll be rethinking that.

Glad you're OK, food poisoning can be really bad. My wife spent about a week in the hospital from some bad chicken.

I love sushi and have bever had a problem, but I'm guessing Rubio's uses a little lower grade of seafood and it's prepared by less educated handlers...

2 hours ago, roadsue said:

Me too. Glad it was the lesser of evils. 
Like @smudgesaid, if not the bill, at least a message about the undercooked shrimp. The kitchen staff need to know how they’re doing. 

In these types of cases, the hospital is required to report it to the health department (learned something new last night). The health department will follow up with the business. Glad I don't have to do it.

• Awesome 3

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

Glad you're ok.  I've heard of the "heartbreak of psoriasis" but not the "heartache of scromboid poisoning."

I used to throw frozen shrimp into boiling water for 5 minutes, then learned it's safer to put them in a big bowl of room-temp water for 20 minutes to thaw them out, then steam or boil them 3 min.

Hopefully, I'll avoid scourge of scromboid!

I've never had an issue before, but then I tend too overcook shrimp no matter how hard I try not to.

Thank you, everyone. Apparently scrombiod poisoning causes a huge release of histamines into the system. They shot me up with Benadryl and that did the trick, so they sent me home. I felt a little silly for calling 911, but I got chewed out last time for not calling and just having my wife drive me in. That was when I had the heart attack. I'm feeling pretty much back to normal. Just a little woozy this morning.

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

4 hours ago, Further said:

I never worry about seafood being cooked enough, the sushi thing put me at ease about it. Guess I'll be rethinking that.

Glad you're OK, food poisoning can be really bad. My wife spent about a week in the hospital from some bad chicken.

I ate raw oysters last night. Yummm. Glad you can’t get sick off them, if you eat them in a month that has an R in it. 

• Haha 1