LWIB

Parr8hed

Both my brothers have Pelotons.  One brother is on it pretty much everyday.  The other is less likely to use it, but his wife uses it.  Neither is an outdoor cyclist beyond beach cruisers.  The one who rides it less often does regularly comment on the attractive teachers that he does see when he rides.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

It's odd, but I like it.  I have always liked the high intensity spin type workouts.  Get in, get it done, and get off the bike.  My lifestyle right now just doesn't work with 2-3 hour road bike rides. 

I keep telling people of the advantages of indoor riding.  I understand that outdoors is more fun and exhilarating, but an indoor bike provides much more flexibility in when you ride, how long you ride and even how you ride.  Plus no concerns about weather, traffic, darkness, getting run over by an inattentive motorist, or flat tires and other bike maintenance issues.  Not to mention all those damned closed gates.  :( 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I keep telling people of the advantages of indoor riding.  I understand that outdoors is more fun and exhilarating, but an indoor bike provides much more flexibility in when you ride, how long you ride and even how you ride.  Plus no concerns about weather, traffic, darkness, getting run over by an inattentive motorist, or flat tires and other bike maintenance issues.  Not to mention all those damned closed gates.  :( 

Riding indoors is dangerous. Remember chopped liver? That’s why I didn’t ride my trainer while I was care giver for my wife. She may or may not have been able to use the phone to dial 911. Riding outdoors someone is more likely going to find your body sooner. Parr8 doesn’t have to worry about that, he has family in and out all the time.

• Heart 3

11 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

"Indoor riding" is just one of several dozen other exercise categories.  It is an apples-to-oranges comparison, where there is similarities, but it's like treadmill vs running outside on pavement vs trail running - all are running, but definitely not straightforward "swaps".  While I would prefer running on a wooded trail, rowing on open (but smooth) water, climbing rocks/cliff walls, swimming in the ocean, or riding up Mt Ventoux, I definitely think folks need to find their exercise where they can, and a Peloton or a treadmill will work for many. 

26 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Did your wife buy it for you to help you lose weight? (Thinking of the original Peloton ad that had all the controversy)

Haha!  I remember that!  No, actually my wife said she wanted one.  We really bought it for her but I have used it more so far.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

"Indoor riding" is just one of several dozen other exercise categories.  It is an apples-to-oranges comparison, where there is similarities, but it's like treadmill vs running outside on pavement vs trail running - all are running, but definitely not straightforward "swaps".  While I would prefer running on a wooded trail, rowing on open (but smooth) water, climbing rocks/cliff walls, swimming in the ocean, or riding up Mt Ventoux, I definitely think folks need to find their exercise where they can, and a Peloton or a treadmill will work for many. 

I found that when I rode outside more then I would be better at spin classes.  But when I did spin classes frequently that didn't always transfer over to better outdoor riding?  I thought it would be opposite.  I can get a hell of a workout on a spin bike because I feel like I can push it hard due to all my past cycling.  I can't push it that hard when running or I will blow up.  There is no coasting on the peleton like there is outside.  So I can do 30-45 min and get as much of a workout as 2-3 hours of riding outside.  But YMMV.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Here's a bogus "Death by Peleton" article. It's true of about any stationary bike. Basically is says don't use it while children and pets are around.

https://apnews.com/article/product-safety-be5516665f9a2c7c4bb9b9441d4aef01

My dog just sits there looking at me like WTF are you doing?  She's never seen me ride a bike.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Parr8hed said:

I found that when I rode outside more then I would be better at spin classes.  But when I did spin classes frequently that didn't always transfer over to better outdoor riding?  I thought it would be opposite.  I can get a hell of a workout on a spin bike because I feel like I can push it hard due to all my past cycling.  I can't push it that hard when running or I will blow up.  There is no coasting on the peleton like there is outside.  So I can do 30-45 min and get as much of a workout as 2-3 hours of riding outside.  But YMMV.

Exactly - totally different workouts.  Like running on a treadmill at 6mph - you CAN'T stop.  Or rowing on an erg results in no distance once you stop rowing.  It is pretty much all "work", and no "play", so the workout inside is distilled down to pretty much just the workout, so very efficient use of time, but also why it doesn't "translate" automatically when you head outside as it is just  different.  I struggle with any indoor activity if the outside is available, but if the choices are either indoors or nothing for several days, I'm choosing indoors.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Haha!  I remember that!  No, actually my wife said she wanted one.  We really bought it for her but I have used it more so far.

My gym had Expresso bikes for a number of years. They were probably like a Peloton in a lot of ways. You could race the other bikes in the gym and you would see them on your screen if they chose the course you did or you could race someone anywhere in the world that had an expresso bike. I used to race a guy in Australia a lot. They priced themselves out of business with what they charged for that feature and the computers were always breaking down. My gym finally scrapped them but they were a lot of fun while they lasted.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

My gym had Expresso bikes for a number of years. They were probably like a Peloton in a lot of ways. You could race the other bikes in the gym and you would see them on your screen if they chose the course you did or you could race someone anywhere in the world that had an expresso bike. I used to race a guy in Australia a lot. They priced themselves out of business with what they charged for that feature and the computers were always breaking down. My gym finally scrapped them but they were a lot of fun while they lasted.

I have always thought that would be cool in spin classes.  Put a leaderboard up and compete with the other spinners.  See who is pushing the most resistance, and who is just spinning with no resistance at all.  I understand that spin classes offer this now, but when I was going on a regular basis power meters were just coming into vogue.  

One thing I gotta say is that this is without a doubt the smoothest bottom bracket I have ever ridden on any bike inside or out.

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Exactly - totally different workouts.  Like running on a treadmill at 6mph - you CAN'T stop.  Or rowing on an erg results in no distance once you stop rowing.  It is pretty much all "work", and no "play", so the workout inside is distilled down to pretty much just the workout, so very efficient use of time, but also why it doesn't "translate" automatically when you head outside as it is just  different.  I struggle with any indoor activity if the outside is available, but if the choices are either indoors or nothing for several days, I'm choosing indoors.

I think that's why I enjoy the interactive portion of it.  I love indoor workouts, but obviously they can get boring.  It is cool to compete against some cat from New Jersey while you spin.  

• Awesome 1

41 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Both my brothers have Pelotons.  One brother is on it pretty much everyday.  The other is less likely to use it, but his wife uses it.  Neither is an outdoor cyclist beyond beach cruisers.  The one who rides it less often does regularly comment on the attractive teachers that he does see when he rides.

Yes, some of the instructors can be a little, um...captivating?  

1 minute ago, Parr8hed said:

I have always thought that would be cool in spin classes.  Put a leaderboard up and compete with the other spinners.  See who is pushing the most resistance, and who is just spinning with no resistance at all.  I understand that spin classes offer this now, but when I was going on a regular basis power meters were just coming into vogue.  

One thing I gotta say is that this is without a doubt the smoothest bottom bracket I have ever ridden on any bike inside or out.

When I first started spin classes 16 years ago I couldn’t believe how these women that didn’t appear to be in shape at all could make me look bad. I would be a literal sweat ball and they were happily spinning away cool as a cucumber. Then one day after class I walked around and put my hand on everyone’s flywheel. I burned my hand on mine and the gym owner’s flywheel, the ladies flywheels were like ice. They were faking it when instructed to turn the resistance up. I watched them reach down like they were turning up the resistance but they were pretending.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

When I first started spin classes 16 years ago I couldn’t believe how these women that didn’t appear to be in shape at all could make me look bad. I would be a literal sweat ball and they were happily spinning away cool as a cucumber. Then one day after class I walked around and put my hand on everyone’s flywheel. I burned my hand on mine and the gym owner’s flywheel, the ladies flywheels were like ice. They were faking it when instructed to turn the resistance up. I watched them reach down like they were turning up the resistance but they were pretending.

Right.