How can you tell what air conditioner you need if you need to condition air?

Randomguy

It has come to my attention that I will need to condition air this summer, most probably.  This is because the entire east coast feels like a jungle or a swamp, or a swampy jungle by mid-late June. 

I am looking at craigslist, and there appear to be different AC's out there in terms of BTU's and such.  How do I know what I need?  Should I even consider used?

• Heart 1

I don't think used is such a good idea.  Window unit air conditioners take a beating out in the weather 24/7.   Finding out what you need depends on how many rooms you have and how large they are.  My 2 6000btu units are way overkill for the bedrooms they are installed in but I use a fan in the hallway to move some of the extra air into the rest of the house.  If the weather stays around 80 they are all I have to run.  When the weather gets up close to 90 I have a third portable unit of 8000btu to use just for short periods of time.  Portables suck.  They are much less efficient and a good deal of the heat, and all the noise they make stays inside your place.

That's the amount of air conditioning my family requires.  I lived down south for many years and I don't even like to turn the air on till it's up into the 80's

• Heart 2

19 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

How can you tell what air conditioner you need if you need to condition air?

...there appear to be different AC's out there in terms of BTU's and such.  How do I know what I need?  Should I even consider used?

I'm guessing you are asking about window AC units?   I agree with @maddmaxx... used is probably a bad idea.

Also..  how much power do you have to run the AC units?  Some require 240 volts, smaller units 120 volts.   How many amps are available in each circuit? 

Don't buy something you can't plug in.   Or if you can plug it in, you just blow the breaker.

Once  you know how much power you have, then find the size of the AC unit(s) that will work with the power you have.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

Window air conditioners have been pretty cheap the past few years....but who knows this year  

Just peeked at Lowes site, they have about a dozen less than 200

No idea how many btu's you need but some is better than none.

Window air conditioners have become pretty reliable, I'd buy used if it looked in decent shape and worked OK.

34 minutes ago, Further said:

No idea how many btu's you need but some is better than none.

I am digging around, and it looks like the sweet spot is 8,000 BTU, give or take.  Not sure if I could get by with 6,000 unless I get blackout blinds or somesuch to insulate.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I took all your good advice and did the opposite (it was much cheaper).  I bought a used GE for $80 last night.

It looks good, nice and clean, so it was plugged in and it works fine.  Supposed to be two years old.  Not ratty.  Not a smart wifi thing that I can turn on when I am twenty minutes away or anything, but it will do the job.  

New ones with 8000 BTU were clustered around $300, plus $50 more if you bought a warranty, plus tax and delivery, so this was a better option for me (unless it stops working).  I am looking forward to defying mother nature this summer.

On 4/19/2021 at 5:10 PM, Randomguy said:

It has come to my attention that I will need to condition air this summer, most probably.  This is because the entire east coast feels like a jungle or a swamp, or a swampy jungle by mid-late June. 

I am looking at craigslist, and there appear to be different AC's out there in terms of BTU's and such.  How do I know what I need?  Should I even consider used?

I always go for the biggest & cheapest option.  Usually a shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer, and several other things in one.  Costco has a good set of options.

10 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Ok, I took all your good advice and did the opposite (it was much cheaper).  I bought a used GE for $80 last night.

It looks good, nice and clean, so it was plugged in and it works fine.  Supposed to be two years old.  Not ratty.  Not a smart wifi thing that I can turn on when I am twenty minutes away or anything, but it will do the job.  

New ones with 8000 BTU were clustered around $300, plus $50 more if you bought a warranty, plus tax and delivery, so this was a better option for me (unless it stops working).  I am looking forward to defying mother nature this summer.

You know it was stolen, right?  And your $80 has now been smoked.

FTR, how many rooms and square footage? Own or rent?  If renting, I'd opt for a couple of those floor models to make sure my place was ice cold when the temps went to 95+ and humid.  One dedicated to the bedroom and one to the living room.  Probably budget up to $1,000 for them.  I think you could pull the living room one into ROs room when she is there.