Heart healthy dinner

Longjohn

11 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Baked boneless, skinless, tasteless chicken with Stonemill salt free seasoning blend, steamed carrots, and steamed peas.

You had me until tasteless! 

But, I like to think we eat pretty heart healthy, and somehow my wife packs a lot of flavor into most of out meals.  She does, though, love to use salt which can be something your doctors might want you to avoid.  We tend to roast a lot of hardy vegetables from broccoli to cauliflower to brussels sprouts to potatoes, so maybe those can be done in a heart healthy way (air fryer?).

• Heart 2

I've been eating a lot of fast-food lately so a made enough chicken soup for six 26 oz bowls - each also gets 2 oz. of extra wide egg noodles.

Chicken, carrots, celery, onion, frozen veggies for soup, Better than Bouillon Roasted Chicken Base and few other seasons made 5 quarts almost s thick as a stew in my Instant Pot Pressure Cooker - whose inner stainless steel pot easily fits in the fridge.

I froze 2 bowls worth in rectangular containers then slid them into labeled qt-sized Ziplock bags, ate two of them, and will finish the other two bowls in the next 2-4 days.

20210226_181623.thumb.jpg.389ad91ce4c56f23ccebf7f7ec69fe6c.jpg

I now have the snap-on plastic lid for the pot, but cling-wrap works well:

20200518_153526.jpg.79df3e251aaa67290e4f448155c24245.jpg

I’m making cow neck tacos for the gang today.  Years ago I found a recipe for beef short rib tacos. Tasty but jeebus short ribs are expensive.  So I saw beef necks that were a fraction of the cost of the short ribs and had similar looking meet on bone so got them instead.

I seer & then crock them in beer, adobo, garlic & chicken stock. Take the meat off the bone & viola tastes just as good for a fraction of the cost! Got some pinto beans slow cooking, will make Spanish rice, guac & salsa.  

• Awesome 4

29 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I’m making cow neck tacos for the gang today.  Years ago I found a recipe for beef short rib tacos. Tasty but jeebus short ribs are expensive.  So I saw beef necks that were a fraction of the cost of the short ribs and had similar looking meet on bone so got them instead.

I seer & then crock them in beer, adobo, garlic & chicken stock. Take the meat off the bone & viola tastes just as good for a fraction of the cost! Got some pinto beans slow cooking, will make Spanish rice, guac & salsa.  

TACO TUESDAY!

But for us, back to Rubios for fish tacos especial!

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

TACO TUESDAY!

But for us, back to Rubios for fish tacos especial!

Their burritos are really good too but yeah man the fish tacos are the bomb! Squeeze of lime, roasted chipotle salsa & the fresh onion & cilantro... mmmm tasty!

On 4/19/2021 at 6:44 PM, Longjohn said:

Baked boneless, skinless, tasteless chicken with Stonemill salt free seasoning blend, steamed carrots, and steamed peas.

AF87B5AE-1EA2-4E81-88D0-A250F042D334.jpeg

This along with my 3 stents is why the asshats in here need to take notice.  These heart attack in the wing victims can rage and mock the vegetarian lifestyle until they die of a heart attack or until they use their gawd damn brains and stop eating meat -- particularly read meat.  Dummies associate politics and manliness to it (it's really macho eating farmed cow or 2 sq/ft. penned in pig with a gun and flag in hand... and even cooler if you can have a piss water beer in mouth while the kiddies are blowing shit up with fireworks).  That rally cry seems like a fair trade off for cardiovascular disease and/or death.

• Sad 1

Just now, Longjohn said:

Walt’s, it was pretty good. I don’t know how they do it. It used to be you needed to eat corn on the cob the day it was picked. It had to have been shipped in, maybe China Florida?

Looks good. I had lettuce with mild salsa and some avacado and tomatoes

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Dottles said:

This along with my 3 stents is why the asshats in here need to take notice.  These heart attack in the wing victims can rage and mock the vegetarian lifestyle until they die of a heart attack or until they use their gawd damn brains and stop eating meat -- particularly read meat.  Dummies associate politics and manliness to it (it's really macho eating farmed cow or 2 sq/ft. penned in pig with a gun and flag in hand... and even cooler if you can have a piss water beer in mouth while the kiddies are blowing shit up with fireworks).  That rally cry seems like a fair trade off for cardiovascular disease and/or death.

The perfect, slanderous, inflammatory remark and nobody bit??  I'm losing it.

12 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Another ham sandwich, but may get something else later. Needed to eat so I could take some pills.

Yesterday was "sandwich night".  It was tasty.  We went to a local deli, and picked some interesting options.  I love good delis as they usually have great bread.

• Heart 1

I made Stampat, a Dutch dish with mashed potato, kale & sausage.  Since my daughter is two weeks into motherhood I have been making them dinner daily & she requested it for tonight.   

Since its ride night I made it this morning & WOChrisL will bring it over later.  I hope they leave me some!!!!

• Heart 2

On 4/19/2021 at 9:44 PM, Longjohn said:

AF87B5AE-1EA2-4E81-88D0-A250F042D334.jpeg

Baked is a great way to reduce calories vs. frying, and removing the skin gets rid of calories too, so those are two great ways to prepare food.

The next time this meal comes around on your menu, you might want to try it with a baked, boneless, skinless cheeseburger and a baked, boneless, skinless pecan pie.

;)

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Baked is a great way to reduce calories vs. frying, and removing the skin gets rid of calories too, so those are two great ways to prepare food.

The next time this meal comes around on your menu, you might want to try it with a baked, boneless, skinless cheeseburger and a baked, boneless, skinless pecan pie.

;)

Not trying to reduce calories, I need calories. Trying to reduce fat and cholesterol. Omega 3s ok omega 6s not so much.

• Heart 1

I used leftovers last night. Saturday I stuffed zucchini with lump crab. We had two of those in the fridge. I needed to do something with the zucchini guts and had some kale that was starting to wilt. Half a red onion. I started washing and chopping. Sautéed the onion and garlic in evoo. Added the zucchini guts, kale, salt and pepper. Then some basil and oregano from the garden. Turned out really good. 

C6A2C404-BEAE-4EB8-808D-B1F489556425.jpeg

• Heart 2

I have low-carb lasagna noodles but don't feel like making it from scratch.

So yesterday I bought a 38 oz, Stouffer's Lasagna with Meat and Sauce (it has 650 Cal in half the box vs 750 Cal in their meat lover's version). I was prepared to add extra Prego sauce if it was dry but it was fine. I had half yesterday with two large slices of dill pickle.  Probably the same today, then I have to go back to healthier, home-cooked, lower carb foods.

Lasagna With Meat and Sauce Family Size Frozen Meal | Official STOUFFER'S®

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I made an Indo dinner, Bami Goering (fried noodles) and sayur, veggie soup with spinach, corn, onion, coconut milk, tamarind & shrimp paste. 
FAE989F1-1244-4273-B7CA-2A27991BCC6C.thumb.jpeg.0946b7adb0c40a114c3500d07be24880.jpeg

BC249DC3-614C-43C2-9794-FE2054E44C14.thumb.jpeg.43b686955193e31a5267124df5ab6210.jpeg

That looks great. Recipes please.

I made chicken in a Thai peanut sauce, roasted brussels sprouts in a maple mustard sauce, and some rice.

Tomorrow will be Roasted Salmon With Peas and Radishes

Roasted Salmon With Peas and Radishes

• Heart 2

Just now, denniS said:

That looks great. Recipes please.

I made chicken in a Thai peanut sauce, roasted brussels sprouts in a maple mustard sauce, and some rice.

Tomorrow will be Roasted Salmon With Peas and Radishes

Roasted Salmon With Peas and Radishes

The Sayur is fresh spinach, canned corn & canned coconut milk & a Knoor Tamarind soup mix but I only use a little bit for the tartness.  The shrimp paste is usually found in Asian markets and just a teaspoon. It’s really strong.

The noodles are a Chinese style chow mein noodle, chopped up pork chops, onion, celery & cabbage. The seasoning is Indonesian sweet soy, garlic powder & black pepper.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

The Sayur is fresh spinach, canned corn & canned coconut milk & a Knoor Tamarind soup mix but I only use a little bit for the tartness.  The shrimp paste is usually found in Asian markets and just a teaspoon. It’s really strong.

The noodles are a Chinese style chow mein noodle, chopped up pork chops, onion, celery & cabbage. The seasoning is Indonesian sweet soy, garlic powder & black pepper.

Thanks. I'm allergic to shrimp. I wonder if I could substitute anchovy paste or fish sauce. 

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, denniS said:

Thanks. I'm allergic to shrimp. I wonder if I could substitute anchovy paste or fish sauce. 

I would try a chicken bouillon cube first. You don’t want too much liquid but I suppose a fish sauce would work.

On the Sayur I mainly throw everything in the pot.  The bami goering is made in a wok. I get the noodle going in a pot of water, the veggies and meat are finely hopped & sautéed in a little oil in the wok. When soft but not soggy, I sprinkle liberally with garlic & black pepper & put in maybe 1/4 cup sweet soy.  Then I toss the drained cooked noodles in and stir it up so the noodles are evenly coated with soy. 

We had grilled Alaskan cod last night, with chicken flavored rice and broccoli.

We are trying to have chicken and fish meals at least twice a week, and pasta salad once.  Not giving up on pork and ground beef though, and ribs and steak are special occasion.

• Awesome 1