What Are The Odds?

Razors Edge

...that the 5' snake I drove over yesterday is dead?  Rolling down the road, a largish snake was sunning itself - likely a rattlesnake - and I thought it was just a joint/crack in the road when seen from a distance. Unable to safely swerve, I rode over it with front and rear driver tires right smack in the middle of it.  I wisely told my wife it was a pothole.

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

...that the 5' snake I drove over yesterday is dead?  Rolling down the road, a largish snake was sunning itself - likely a rattlesnake - and I thought it was just a joint/crack in the road when seen from a distance. Unable to safely swerve, I rode over it with front and rear driver tires right smack in the middle of it.  I wisely told my wife it was a pothole.

Likely a Rattlensake?    That's a little crazy.  We have timer rattlers around here, but not many.  There seems to be a healthy population of them in Brown County State Park though.  The most "likely" snakes that we have around here are rat snakes.  They can easily get 5 feet.

I bet you probably killed it pretty dead.

11 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Likely a Rattlensake? 

I saw some interesting markings along its back just before running it over. 

My guess is the Western (Texas) Diamond-backed, but too fast to tell.  Could have been one of several rattlers or the dozen or more other types in the region.

image.png.c05e873efc79a92cc8733eab95a1f9c0.png

3 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

It's crawling towards your house right now looking for revenge.

Hmm.  That may be slow going with a crunched back.  I've ridden over black snakes with my bike before, and don't think I harmed them, but a car, despite wider tires, is likely a lot more weight than my and my bike.

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Hmm.  That may be slow going with a crunched back.  I've ridden over black snakes with my bike before, and don't think I harmed them, but a car, despite wider tires, is likely a lot more weight than my and my bike.

I've ridden over rattlesnakes on my bike but never went back to check on them. I used to be limber enough to put my feet on the top tube while holding onto the handlebars.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah, like you aren't worried about vengeful bionic snakes...

• Haha 1

Just now, Randomguy said:

Yeah, like you aren't worried about vengeful bionic snakes...

The veterinarians out here in CA are a bunch of hippies! I can see them trying to rehabilitate one of those vicious little effers and giving him a bionic spine!  Damn them!!!!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Dude, can’t you bunny hop? I’ve cleared black snakes on the W&OD many times. 

On the bike, I've bunny hopped MANY of the black snakes.  The ones I can't react to quick enough are on a fast downhill into a little sun where they look like the cracks between sections.  A good example is the west side of the 28 overpass.  The seem to sun along that stretch from 28 to the bridge past the Smiths Switch.  I can usually avoid those suckers on the normal speed parts, but not always.  I do feel pretty good in my "hopping" skills - even in quick mode - as I was startled by a ground hog out in Purcellville one time and successfully hopped it with the rear wheel just tagging it on the way down, but only if I spot the obstacle in time and have the hands on the bars safely. 

• Awesome 1

Could have been, this is snake season.  Look for the triangle shaped head over the markings as we have gopher snakes that have similar markings.  But other than the coral snakes, all of our non venomous snakes have an elongated rounded head that is the same shape as the body. 

41 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I saw some interesting markings along its back just before running it over. 

My guess is the Western (Texas) Diamond-backed, but too fast to tell.  Could have been one of several rattlers or the dozen or more other types in the region.

image.png.c05e873efc79a92cc8733eab95a1f9c0.png

That's a pretty impressive list of danger noodles.  

I was bombing down a descent with two friends on our gravel bikes.  I was second in line and was leaving about 2 bike lengths so I had a clear view of the trail.  I see a rattler sunning on the trail taking up about 1/3 of the left side of the trail.  Rider # 1 is heading right for it so I shout Rattler left side!!! And she bunny hops it! I veer right and rider # 3 panics “oh shit oh shit oh shit!!!!!! And follows me around.  

We had a good laugh on that one!