Boston drivers suck goats

maddmaxx

10 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

What's your point?

There is traffic everywhere, and bad drivers are also everywhere, and mean drivers everywhere.  There are a lot of all those in the big east coast cities, and Detroit and Dallas and Houston.

He just hit some of it on a day that is not so uplifting, so it appears as even more malevolent then it normally is.  Driving sucks.

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

There is traffic everywhere, and bad drivers are also everywhere, and mean drivers everywhere.  There are a lot of all those in the big east coast cities, and Detroit and Dallas and Houston.

He just hit some of it on a day that is not so uplifting, so it appears as even more malevolent then it normally is.  Driving sucks.

You again sir, are WRONG!  We've worked hard to get to the top of the list for angriest, least welcoming people anywhere.  We've failed and will rally the troops to get even worse.

States With the Worst Drivers – 2020 Edition

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

You again sir, are WRONG!  We've worked hard to get to the top of the list for angriest, least welcoming people anywhere.  We've failed and will rally the troops to get even worse.

I don't like the methodology of most of these "findings", although many do point to NJ being the worst at almost everything.

That said, the place where I thought the worst drivers were, statewide, was NM.  Nobody pays attention, nobody gives a crap about anyone else, there is no consideration for other drivers, and it appears that everyone is on drugs, has guns or at least machetes, and most were probably driving without licenses or insurance.

Detroit had the meanest drivers, who would cut you off so you couldn't get to your exit just for fun.  

I haven’t been to Boston since I drove truck but I was always impressed by Boston drivers. Their turning the breakdown lane into a driving lane during rush hour is genius. I watched a car try to enter the thruway one time a little too soon. There was a short concrete barrier to keep people from doing that. He hit it and it flipped his car over on it’s roof and it was spinning like a top. All the other cars kept driving and didn’t slow down to gawk. If that had happened in Ohio there would have been a four hour traffic jam.

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

ass.  Yes they do.  I'm lucky to have made it home from the funeral.

I think driving skills and courtesy have gone downhill big time over the past 20-30 years.

Some of it is texting or talking on cell phones, but a lot of it is not using blinkers, cutting people off, etc.

A lot is just stupidity. In one case, I was stopped at a red light on a one-way-each-way road.  A guy was trying to get onto the road from a gas station to my right.  He couldn't be bothered to turn his blinker on.  If he wanted to go to his right, I'd have let him get onto the road in front of me.  If he wanted to go left, he would have had to wait for the heavy traffic going the opposite direction from me to clear and would have held up a long line of traffic.

I didn't let him get onto the road.

Just now, ChrisL said:

Maybe @Razors Edge can confirm or deny but CA drivers mainly drive fast, especially on the freeway  but are otherwise fairly courteous. Yeah there are a holes but I thought VA/DC drivers are worse than CA drivers.  

CA highways are bad.  Non-highway speed limits are too high, but folks are way better behaved on them than the highway.  Too much "racing" done on the I-5.  Just stupid, but similar to the NYC-to-DC I-95 shenanigans.  Jersey and Maryland drivers are azzclowns - not all, but if a pair of cars passes you at 100+, it will be NJ or MD plates.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

The data is twisted because the traffic is so bad around Boston that most accidents aren't fast enough to kill.  Mass is almost as bad as driving into JFK but you can add in the numbers of large trucks clogging the highways.

5 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Any place in and around Boston that you can find a piece of road without potholes you will find a work crew making some

Speaking of work crews, are you familiar with the scam the MA State Police are running? Every roadside work area must be staffed by a state trooper. It’s an overtime cash cow for the staties. 

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

CA highways are bad.  Non-highway speed limits are too high, but folks are way better behaved on them than the highway.  Too much "racing" done on the I-5.  Just stupid, but similar to the NYC-to-DC I-95 shenanigans.  Jersey and Maryland drivers are azzclowns - not all, but if a pair of cars passes you at 100+, it will be NJ or MD plates.

If you don't know where you're going in California, they'll ram you into the ocean.  You get split seconds there to make decisions or pay the price. Heaven help you if you need time to orient yourself.

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Maybe @Razors Edge can confirm or deny but CA drivers mainly drive fast, especially on the freeway  but are otherwise fairly courteous. Yeah there are a holes but I thought VA/DC drivers are worse than CA drivers.  

It depends.  Southern Cal or Bay Area I don't know if I agree.  But sure, outside of there -- fine.  And yes, almost everyone drives at least 80 miles per hour on the interstates ANYWHERE.  You guys don't mess around.

4 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Detroit had the meanest drivers, who would cut you off so you couldn't get to your exit just for fun.  

I recall a friend and I were in Detroit for a skating event. We thought we found a short cut from our hotel to the arena, but we didn't realize we were on a sidewalk that eventually turned into a little paved area next to a highway.   So we were walking along in an area that was apparently not meant for walking and the sweetest lady stopped her car on the highway to ask if we were ok and if we needed any help.  At that point we realized the sidewalk wasn't going to lead to the arena and we turned back, but that sweet driver always made me think fondly of Detroit drivers.

• Awesome 2

8 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Boston drivers suck goats ass.  Yes they do.  I'm lucky to have made it home from the funeral.

When I was in college for engineering, possibly 1974, a guy on or dorm floor was from Boston and he had a car (a nice car...).  Once (and only once) I rode with him, possibly to a shopping mall. 

There was a left turn lane backed up with lots of cars wafting, we needed to turn left.  He just drove up, in the left lane (for the thru traffic) and just turned left without stopping.  We crossed at least 2 lanes (maybe 3) of traffic and a lane of traffic for people turning right into the mall.   We just missed being hit at least 2 or 3 times.

I asked him... "WTF was that?"    The told me... "They have brakes, they can use them."  :frantics:

Like I said... I never took a road trip with that guy again.

• Haha 1

^^I can easily believe that.  One of my mini adventures yesterday was attempting to get to a right exit ramp. I had a gap in traffic.  I used a turn signal.  I had an asshole using the shoulder of the road attempting to block my access by driving up from behind. I waved at him and drove into the hole with a "go ahead and hit me with your expensive Audi" attitude.  After his horn honk I ignored him.

Perhaps I could adjust to Boston drivers after all.

4 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

^^I can easily believe that.  One of my mini adventures yesterday was attempting to get to a right exit ramp. I had a gap in traffic.  I used a turn signal.  I had an asshole using the shoulder of the road attempting to block my access by driving up from behind. I waved at him and drove into the hole with a "go ahead and hit me with your expensive Audi" attitude.  After his horn honk I ignored him.

Perhaps I could adjust to Boston drivers after all.

One reason I always appreciate Strava as it put "real" numbers behind folks "stories".  I think dashcams and onboard "blackbox" tech in modern cars will eventually do the same for the "I used a turn signal", "I had a gap", and "he was aggressive", etc. details that we all weave into our stories.  The turn signal becomes an action in conjunction with the turn (not a warning ahead of time). The "gap" becomes a small opening that could be squeezed into. The aggressive shows they owned the lane and were just keeping their spot and proceeding with the flow.

But yeah, Audi drivers are the new BMW drivers!  Well, that's according to my SiL the BMW fangirl.

51 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

One reason I always appreciate Strava as it put "real" numbers behind folks "stories".  I think dashcams and onboard "blackbox" tech in modern cars will eventually do the same for the "I used a turn signal", "I had a gap", and "he was aggressive", etc. details that we all weave into our stories.  The turn signal becomes an action in conjunction with the turn (not a warning ahead of time). The "gap" becomes a small opening that could be squeezed into. The aggressive shows they owned the lane and were just keeping their spot and proceeding with the flow.

But yeah, Audi drivers are the new BMW drivers!  Well, that's according to my SiL the BMW fangirl.

Since you seem not to believe me BMBM

• Haha 1