Any WiFi router gurus on here?

jsharr

We have Spectrum Business internet at the office.  Spectrum makes you use their wifi router.  If I run a speed test on that network, I get 506 down by 36 up of a promised 600 by 40.

We also have a nice Asus AC3100 router.  It is usually faster, but right not it is stuck in 1st gear.    3.71 down by 35.7 up.   What would cause a WIFI router to run so slowly when the other is so fast?

If I run an ethernet speedtest on my primary PC, I get 696 down and 40.27 up, so the Spectrum speed level promises are being exceeded on ehternet and close to promised on their WIFI, but they suck on my WIFI

23 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

How many people divices on the wifi?  What channel is the router on?  How many other wifi users in your area with other routers?

we are in an 18 story building.  Probably 30,000 sq feet per floor.  8 users total on our network, maybe 12 total devices with cell phones and laptops.  Several of us us hardwired pc, not wifi.  Not sure about channels, etc.   I am a moran. but I would imagine there are a lot.

24 minutes ago, shotgun said:

Proximity to the router is an issue. But, the Asus could probably benefit from a reboot.

rebooted and much faster, but has only been a week since last reboot.  Should not have to reboot a router that often, should you?  This is a secondary network, most people connect to the Spectrum.  

Checking the QOS settings on the Asus router can be finnicky. On my new one I had to turn them off as it was AI Enabled (Bullshit) and kept dropping traffic to my wifes work laptop during heavy bandwidth meetings.

Also check overlapping channels in the building, this can cause signal degradation if your on the 2.4ghz band. Less so on 5ghz

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

If I run a speed test on that network, I get 506 down by 36 up of a promised 600 by 40.

Unrelated to your specific issue but I have a question for you based on your specific results.  The carrier runs a speed test for you.  The carrier provides the speed test.  The carrier always prioritizes traffic on their network.  Based on those givens, the question is, what traffic do you think the carrier prioritizes above everything else?  You got it...

So, in real life do, do you ever think you will achieve the same speeds you see as the results of your speed test.  If they can't even deliver their minimum QOS level during a prioritized test, what do you think you get in real life.

Is the Internet feed to the modem coax? Or fiber? They always advertise their speeds as ‘up to’. Better chance of getting those speeds consistently with fiber. With coax, you are sharing Internet with other clients. They will adjust the throughput on their end to meet the ‘up to’ levels in normal conditions. 
Has the firmware been updated on your router? How old is it?

12 minutes ago, groupw said:

Is the Internet feed to the modem coax? Or fiber? They always advertise their speeds as ‘up to’. Better chance of getting those speeds consistently with fiber. With coax, you are sharing Internet with other clients. They will adjust the throughput on their end to meet the ‘up to’ levels in normal conditions. 
Has the firmware been updated on your router? How old is it?

coax.  not sure about firmware.  Guess I need to grab a monkey wrench and bang on the router settings a bit.

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

coax.  not sure about firmware.  Guess I need to grab a monkey wrench and bang on the router settings a bit.

I didn’t used to think firmware upgrades were that important. As long as it worked, they weren’t a big deal. However lately it seems that has changed. One of the first things I check if the obvious answers don’t resolve. 

5 minutes ago, groupw said:

I didn’t used to think firmware upgrades were that important. As long as it worked, they weren’t a big deal. However lately it seems that has changed. One of the first things I check if the obvious answers don’t resolve. 

so I know the IP address of the router, but when I enter it into a browser, I cannot get to the router to check settings.  Weird.

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

so I know the IP address of the router, but when I enter it into a browser, I cannot get to the router to check settings.  Weird.

That’s no good. If I can’t get into the web interface, no way to be sure it’s really ok. Try typing the IP address with “:8080” at the end. Don’t type the quotes. If that doesn’t work, try leaving powered off for about 10 minutes. Last resort, reset with a paper clip and reconfigure it. If that doesn’t work, new router time. 

1 minute ago, groupw said:

That’s no good. If I can’t get into the web interface, no way to be sure it’s really ok. Try typing the IP address with “:8080” at the end. Don’t type the quotes. If that doesn’t work, try leaving powered off for about 10 minutes. Last resort, reset with a paper clip and reconfigure it. If that doesn’t work, new router time. 

that told me it should be my routers admin page

It sat unplugged for months after the initial slow down, and I just plugged back in recently and it was fast until today.  Fast again after reboot, but cannot get to it.

6 minutes ago, groupw said:

Usually, if you have a PHYSICAL connection to the router, you can get to that sort of stuff too, correct??? 

On a side note, with the advent of rampant WFH and zoom/teams/skype video meetings, I get a chuckle out of how many folks blame their broadband connection for their WiFi issues.  I'm always asking if they have tried ethernet to the router or how far they are from the wifi antennas.  Usually they have never tried ethernet and are often at the far side of the house in a basement, upstairs room, or somewhere distant from the router.  But, they will complain regularly.  I tell them to plug it into the ethernet, run a speed test.  Unplug, go were you normally work, and rerun the speed test over wifi.  The numbers won't lie.

• Heart 1

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Usually, if you have a PHYSICAL connection to the router, you can get to that sort of stuff too, correct??? 

On a side note, with the advent of rampant WFH and zoom/teams/skype video meetings, I get a chuckle out of how many folks blame their broadband connection for their WiFi issues.  I'm always asking if they have tried ethernet to the router or how far they are from the wifi antennas.  Usually they have never tried ethernet and are often at the far side of the house in a basement, upstairs room, or somewhere distant from the router.  But, they will complain regularly.  I tell them to plug it into the ethernet, run a speed test.  Unplug, go were you normally work, and rerun the speed test over wifi.  The numbers won't lie.

This router sits on my desk.  It is about 4' from me.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

This router sits on my desk.  It is about 4' from me.

DUDE!!! No one ever told about exposure to that sort of radiation?!?!?!?  Shield your balls!

:D

No, I was saying a physical connection gets you past most issues and right to the settings.

• Heart 1

Just now, Razors Edge said:

DUDE!!! No one ever told about exposure to that sort of radiation?!?!?!?  Shield your balls!

:D

No, I was saying a physical connection gets you past most issues and right to the settings.

My wife's purse is lead lined.  They are safe.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Sometimes. Usually you should be able to connect to the web interface by Ethernet and/or WiFi. Occasionally you will see a port specifically to interface with the router, but that’s pretty rare on consumer grade products. 

I would update the firmware on the Asus, wouldn't hurt but don't think that is the issue.

Suspect you fell into the same Spectrum trap I did and it's interaction with my Asus AC86U (Best Buy twin Asus 1900 avoiding price match). Typical (and my historical setup) is into a cable modem (currently using the new Arris Surfboard S33) then feeding into the Asus, then either wired or wireless. The Spectrum trap was bundle 3 pack service was cheaper than the Internet only - so choose it even if don't use the phone. Problem is, the Asus 3100 is internet only  and won't support the phone, requiring Spectrums combined modem/phone/router that they provide for "free" that I then fed into the Asus router. SUSPECT THIS IS THE SOURCE OF YOUR PROBLEM! I never checked the speed issues and isolating between the two, but I did have a major issue. Like your 3100, my 1900 has a VPN capability that the Spectrum unit totally blocked. While I also use the Asus for a computer dedicated to security cameras and the VPN allows me secure viewing off-site, plus the added advantage of a secure tunnel back from public wifi sites like Starbucks or accessing from a foreign country and sites think I am in the US so they don't block content (ESPN etc) that would be blocked outside the US. 

As Spectrum blocked it, there is a bypass known as a "bridge". I was  dependent on Spectrum tech placing their modem/router in bridge mode remotely. Of course, they wouldn't give me the password where I could do it or check their work. At any rate, it didn't resolve the VPN issue. Worse, they wouldn't let me substitute my cable modem direct to my router - screw the phone service that I wasn't using - I was subscribed to the triple pac they were obligate to provide and would charge me more if I changed to plan to Internet only. They quickly discovered my advantage of having dual wiring in my backyard as I switched to Comcast and everything was resolved.

• Awesome 2