How does one tell a good rug from a bad rug?

Randomguy

4 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

Look for midsized carpet store. Know your size and ask to see their remnants. You're welcome.  

The rug should be handmade by a one-armed woman between the ages of 44-56, and the rug should be oriental in style and at least 145 years old.  I am quite certain this should be readily available.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

41 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

The rug should be handmade by a one-armed woman between the ages of 44-56, and the rug should be oriental in style and at least 145 years old.  I am quite certain this should be readily available.

I would try Wal-Mart and/or Sam's Club first and if they don't have it, try Target.  

• Heart 1
  • Whatever 1

If I was going to buy such a rug, I'd learn more about weave and material quality - about which I know very little now.

A couple decades ago, we were in a carpet stall in the Grand Bazaar of Istanbul - the most amazing shopping place I've seen in my life - and my companion was interested in getting a Persian rug.  The salesman was discussing the tightness of the weave, the quality of the threads, etc. and when she wasn't happy with the mostly gray color in one design, the salesman sent a boy, about 12 years-old, running down the street to the factory to get samples of other colors in the same pattern.  They shipped the one she picked directly back to her home in the USA and she still has it in her living room.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

A couple decades ago, we were in a carpet stall in the Grand Bazaar of Istanbul

This is the correct answer. Though personally I prefer the rugs out of Cappadocia, mostly because it is a great excuse to visit there when we travel to Turkey. The weaves are exceptional. We have two wool rugs and a silk "summer" rug. The silk one has been in my wife's family for probably 50 years. It looks beautiful to this day. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, goldendesign said:

This is the correct answer. Though personally I prefer the rugs out of Cappadocia, mostly because it is a great excuse to visit there when we travel to Turkey. The weaves are exceptional. We have two wool rugs and a silk "summer" rug. The silk one has been in my wife's family for probably 50 years. It looks beautiful to this day. 

No, my budget is cheap combined with frugal combined with "$10 for a rug?  Are you out of your mind?".

17 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

No, my budget is cheap combined with frugal combined with "$10 for a rug?  Are you out of your mind?".

But the trip to Turkey is well worth it alone!  And, despite the "hard sell", you don't have to buy anything.  Just enjoy the show and sip your tea.

32 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Just enjoy the show and sip your tea.

This. Also the online prices for the new rugs is insanley good. I bough a shitty wool rug from a discount store for $400 (8x11) and it's garbage. My Turkish rugs cost about 11-1500 each and the silk one would cost a new TOL bike to replace.