Billionaire wilderness

dinneR

https://buckrail.com/mtv-news-highlights-influx-of-celebrities-moving-to-wyoming-inequality-in-jh/

JACKSON, Wyo. — A segment on MTV News this week highlighted the influx of celebrities moving to Wyoming, specifically Jackson Hole.

The 7-minute segment known as “The Pop Factor”  discussed the implications of wealthy celebrities moving to Wyoming. According to the video, “Wyoming has the highest number of billionaires per capita…despite being off the beaten path.” The video cited Wyoming’s income tax breaks as the culprit behind this mass exodus of the ultra-wealthy to the state.

A long-standing and contentious issue in the valley, the COVID pandemic has seen a rising trend of more wealthy citizens moving to the northwest corner of Wyoming which has put pressure on locally-based professionals to find affordable housing options.

“For a studio, you’re looking at $1,800 plus, and those are on the lower end of the spectrum,” ShelterJH coordinator Clare Stumpf said in an interview on the segment.

Shelter JH, a Jackson-based nonprofit, is dedicated to addressing the housing crisis in Jackson Hole.

• Sad 1

It’s happening in the Black Hills as well. I have an aunt and uncle who have lived in a very pretty valley just outside Custer. They have been there their entire married life. It was quite the bucolic life.  I loved visiting them and their kids were my favorite cousins. 
About 30 years ago, people not from there started buying land and building very expensive homes. Tab valuations skyrocketed. Luckily the county created a couple grandfather clauses to protect people like my family from being priced out of their homes. But I see this kind of thing happening all over up there.