48 years ago today

AirwickWithCheese
Go to solution Solved by Longjohn,

DadCheese came home early and caught me watching this after school on the Mike Douglas Show. ( 2 days give or take ) 

Anyway, this is when I received my first warning about Asheville and the new Magnavox color console television was returned to Kmart for a refund.  :(

At the time I was angry but now I understand and appreciate the courage, love, and wisdom it took to put an immediate end to his only son being brainwashed by hippies. 

The next day he also found out my public school elementary was being visited by those Up With People clowns. 

He sold his 1969 Camaro and I was enrolled at the downtown campus of Greenville's finest private preparatory school. 

48 years ago, almost, today.  :nodhead:

• Awesome 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

23 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

DadCheese came home early and caught me watching this after school on the Mike Douglas Show. ( 2 days give or take ) 

Anyway, this is when I received my first warning about Asheville and the new Magnavox color console television was returned to Kmart for a refund.  :(

At the time I was angry but now I understand and appreciate the courage, love, and wisdom it took to put an immediate end to his only son being brainwashed by hippies. 

The next day he also found out my public school elementary was being visited by those Up With People clowns. 

He sold his 1969 Camaro and I was enrolled at the downtown campus of Greenville's finest private preparatory school. 

Did you have to switch over to Merv Griffin, Doris Day, or that heathen Phil Donohue?

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, denniS said:

Did you have to switch over to Merv Griffin, Doris Day, or that heathen Phil Donohue?

Television returned. 

Granny Cheese gave me a Kmart brand black and white 19 inch that I was allowed to keep in my room. It could pick up Gomer Pyle USMC on WTBS from Atlanta if the wind was right or the occasional pink moon. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

Television returned. 

Granny Cheese gave me a Kmart brand black and white 19 inch that I was allowed to keep in my room. It could pick up Gomer Pyle USMC on WTBS from Atlanta if the wind was right or the occasional pink moon. 

Moonpies, RC, and Gomer Pyle. Sounds like an idyllic upbringing.

• Heart 1

• Solution
2 hours ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

WOLJ was in a production of Godspell. Somewhere I have a VHS tape of the production. Those costumes and makeup bring back memories.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

The Mike Douglas show was a regular part of the after school schedule. It came on after Match Game and Tattletales.   ABC had a weekday movie starting at 4:30 that I could watch if the guest co-host on Mike Douglas wasn't entertaining.  The co-host was typically on for a week, so if they were bad, you had to really make alternative plans.

I am sorry about the tv incident Cheese.  No child should be without tv. thank heavens for Granny Cheese!

• Hugs 1