The pillars of the forum are being dismantled

Go to solution Solved by Ralphie,

I conducted a search for kayak hoping to find 1 of the 73 pictures of @Longjohn in the nude. (Please don't judge)  The thought was to post it in Kirby's make us smile thread.  

I came across this: 

All those beautiful, cherished memories now lost to time.  :(  It's like the Love Boat Forum all over again. 

Short of actually funding our fair share of expenses, what can be done to stop this injustice?   :dontknow:

• Solution
3 hours ago, AirwickWithCheese said: 

Short of actually funding our fair share of expenses, what can be done to stop this injustice?   :dontknow:

Ahhh, that there was funny. :D  You are so pragmatic, cheese.

When you post photos you can smoosh them down to small or medium. And if someone wants to snag a good one, sheep herder has sent me the large version before. 

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

Ahhh, that there was funny. :D  You are so pragmatic, cheese.

When you post photos you can smoosh them down to small or medium. And if someone wants to snag a good one, sheep herder has sent me the large version before. 

I read that, sheep herder as sent me the large virgin before. I already had a picture in my mind when I went back and read it again. :facepalm:

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

I conducted a search for kayak hoping to find 1 of the 73 pictures of @Longjohn in the nude. (Please don't judge)  The thought was to post it in Kirby's make us smile thread.  

I came across this: 

All those beautiful, cherished memories now lost to time.  :(  It's like the Love Boat Forum all over again. 

External image hosting is a can of worms.  Internal SWCF image hosting is a different (and expensive) can of worms :(  I recently did another sweep of my SW photos, and had to do the whole Sophie's choice thing repeatedly.

I'd love to hear suggestions for the best external image host option for posting here.

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I'd love to hear suggestions for the best external image host option for posting here.

I believe I have two options.  Host them on my server, which I am doing.  Host them on AWS.  You need to be a rocket scientist to figure out how much that will cost you.

As of now, the server is a little over 1/2 full.  Everything counts toward my 100GB limit, software files, email, databases, images...

15 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

External image hosting is a can of worms.  Internal SWCF image hosting is a different (and expensive) can of worms :(  I recently did another sweep of my SW photos, and had to do the whole Sophie's choice thing repeatedly.

Oh yeah, in the olden days I used photobucket before they tightened the reins.

16 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I believe I have two options.  Host them on my server, which I am doing.  Host them on AWS.  You need to be a rocket scientist to figure out how much that will cost you.

As of now, the server is a little over 1/2 full.  Everything counts toward my 100GB limit, software files, email, databases, images...

Yeah - we (our company) is fully embracing "the cloud", and those fuckers(!) AWS or Azure or any of them know what a bitch it is to migrate in the first place, and so, once they have you up on their cloud, they start cranking up costs.  And they know they have you by the balls.  You can't accurately predict the future costs of AWS or others.

6 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Oh yeah, in the olden days I used photobucket before they tightened the reins.

Yeah - they screwed us with their change to it all.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah - we (our company) is fully embracing "the cloud", and those fuckers(!) AWS or Azure or any of them know what a bitch it is to migrate in the first place, and so, once they have you up on their cloud, they start cranking up costs.  And they know they have you by the balls.  You can't accurately predict the future costs of AWS or others.

The Rolling Stones should make a lot of money from “Hey, you, get offa my cloud”.  

On 4/27/2021 at 5:07 PM, Square Wheels said:

AWS is spendy.  We pay them thousands each month

8 hours ago, jsharr said:

AWS is spendy.  We pay them thousands each month

I'd only use it to store attachments.  The rest of the site will still come from the server it's on.  

I think either way, I'd stay with the 100GB server I have now.  That means I could add AWS to host (likely) lots more attachments, but at a cost, even a small cost.  So there's not easy way around it.

Each user here currently gets a GB of storage, that's a ton.  Do the math, if the active users here were to use all their space, the server would be full soon.  If I allowed unlimited attachments, I'd have to add AWS.  I am covering the server costs now, adding AWS would make running this site a cost.

On 5/2/2021 at 5:26 AM, Square Wheels said:

I'd only use it to store attachments.  The rest of the site will still come from the server it's on.  

I think either way, I'd stay with the 100GB server I have now.  That means I could add AWS to host (likely) lots more attachments, but at a cost, even a small cost.  So there's not easy way around it.

Each user here currently gets a GB of storage, that's a ton.  Do the math, if the active users here were to use all their space, the server would be full soon.  If I allowed unlimited attachments, I'd have to add AWS.  I am covering the server costs now, adding AWS would make running this site a cost.

Do you physically control the server? Adding massive storage to a server is relatively painless, but not sure how that goes when it is someone else's server.  But 4 or even 10 terrabytes sure is cheap these days (relatively!), so could you add a NAS or similar to the server set-up?

* a new cat pic(s) would be acceptable here.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Hmm, odd, I missed this tag until now.  Owl have to listen later, cheese.  I need to get oot for a veggie and hoagie run now.  Which reminds me of egg and daughter night. :D

I confess your slight hurt. Please listen now, beautiful and talented. A young Melanie in a cute conservative outfit.   :wub:

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

I confess your slight hurt. Please listen now, beautiful and talented. A young Melanie in a cute conservative outfit.   :wub:

Sorry, Foxes and Fossil are on the other channel now, then Ruby is patiently waiting for her trip to the park.  After that. :) This laptop has no bluetooth and I am too lazy to retrieve the corded headphones.

And once Maggie, Sammy, and Chase (and those old guys too I guess) get hold of me they don='t let go. :)  Neon Moon now. :)

• Heart 1