So why don;t you bastards ever talk aboot the books you are reading?

Ralphie

:scratch head::dontknow:

OK, I'll start. :)  I am reading a new book by Billy Crystal, Still Fooling 'Em.  I am enjoying it - he is a very personable guy! 

Also, Blue Mind, by Wallace J. Nichols.  It is aboot how we human beans love to be near water.  I like a quote from him that I will try to keep in mind: "Our brains are wired to be Teflon for the positive and Velcro for the negative; we notice and react more strongly to negative experiences than positive, because otherwise we'd lackadaisically stroll our way to extinction."  Hmm - I resemble that remark!

I am also reading a book aboot the Snowden disclosures and the NSA.  Sad. :(

How much time do teachers spend working outside of the classroom?

It depends on the teacher.  I work an additional 20 hours each week, sometimes more if I'm grading at length.  

Recent demands for accountability have changed the way I write lesson plans.  I now have to use a specific template for drawing up plans, and filling in all the spaces takes two hours a week to complete, whereas I used to be able to draw up plans in about half an hour using a planning book and abbreviating content.  I also have to copy and paste the standards into each day's lesson plan, whereas that's information I'd simply kept in mind instead of having to spell it out in a documented lesson plan.  These weekly lesson plans then go into a binder where they sit on a shelf next to my teacher's desk so that anyone can walk into the classroom and see the scope and sequence of instruction for my classes.  In two years of writing and keeping these extensive and time-consuming plans, not a single person has seen them except me.  But I'm maintaining my part of the accountability mandate.

If I had those two hours back each week, I could post in the Cafe a lot more.  Or maybe even ride my bike. B)  

image_zps4a6e4dce.jpg

Kind if reading this series backwards. But fortunately the individual stories can stand on their own.

How do you like it?

I have most of the full series, but haven't read them. I did of Mists of Avalon as a book on tape years ago. I didn't realize until I got to the end that it was only the first half of the book.

They're on my book 'to do' list.

How do you like it?

I have most of the full series, but haven't read them. I did of Mists of Avalon as a book on tape years ago. I didn't realize until I got to the end that it was only the first half of the book.

They're on my book 'to do' list.

I love it. I read "High Priestess of Avalon" first, which of course takes place many years later. But fell in love with the flavor of Bradley's ideal of Avalon. It captivated me.

I love it. I read "High Priestess of Avalon" first, which of course takes place many years later. But fell in love with the flavor of Bradley's and Zimmerman's ideal of Avalon. It captivated me.

I love Arthurian fantasy stories and have read a few others already.

From the little flavor I got of this one, I thought there was a reason it was so popular and still is after many, many years. It might be the best Arthurian fantasy series.

Well, I took Nate's suggestion, then totally ignored it and got a different book on athletic recovery.  I got this one because it was published much more recently than the one that Nate recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/Athletes-Guide-Recovery-Restore-Performance-ebook/dp/B00FGD8XA0/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1409502200&sr=1-1&keywords=sports+recovery

I just started it, so I can say too much yet.

08-29command_full_600.jpg

Almost as interesting as the book is the author's tracing of his sources and the his efforts to obtain documents - i.e. the Air Force denying it still had copies of documents but museum archives and congressional records containied the exact material.  

I enjoyed the original Dune book.  The subsequent books were inferior, in my opinion.