When is your state or city reopening?

Randomguy

I saw an article just now that said NYC was planning on July 1st, according to our not-so-respected mayor.  I am not sure how I feel about this, as all the antivaxxer idiots will be visiting from out of town again.

I am vaccinated, so I have that going for me.  It would be nice not to have to wear a mask, if that is part of it.  I do think there will be another surge and some more mutations because of the buttwipes who are gonna visit and think unseen forces have mysteriously singled them out for protection based on nothing.

When are you opening?  Are you living in a backward state that never masked and whose population (mostly) will never vaccinate and never closed?

Discus.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I saw an article just now that said NYC was planning on July 1st, according to our not-so-respected mayor.  I am not sure how I feel about this, as all the antivaxxer idiots will be visiting from out of town again.

I am vaccinated, so I have that going for me.  It would be nice not to have to wear a mask, if that is part of it.  I do think there will be another surge and some more mutations because of the buttwipes who are gonna visit and think unseen forces have mysteriously singled them out for protection based on nothing.

When are you opening?  Are you living in a backward state that never masked and whose population (mostly) will never vaccinate and never closed?

Discus.

No idea.  CA still has the hot tubs closed, but the pools have been open the whole time I've been here! :angry:

CA has a colored tier program based on two week trending on several metrics.  With each lower tier the restrictions lift. It’s monitored at a county level. 

My county is still in the “Orange” tier which is the 3rd less restrictive tier of 4 tiers. We still have to move to the yellow tier and then we are fully open after that.

Most places like restaurants, gyms & sports events are open to limited occupancy.

Not yet.  CT has been phasing in a gradual reopening.  As of today you can walk around outside without a mask if you chose to do so.  Restaurant capacity may be back to full within a couple of weeks.  (masks still on).  No full stadium crowds yet.  No full theaters yet.  Schools are still masked and operating in hybrid mode.

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I was shocked to find pools closed in VA?!?!  I couldn’t wrap my head around that at first.

Yeah - our pool didn't open until mid-summer with a reservation system limiting how many could show up at one time.  Last year was the only time I've ever skipped the pool for a whole year :(

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah - our pool didn't open until mid-summer with a reservation system limiting how many could show up at one time.  Last year was the only time I've ever skipped the pool for a whole year :(

Our pool was closed during the peak of Covid but normally stays open year round.

Outdoor swimming in winter is a thing here...

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Do you own your place?  I am hoping you are not a renter, cause this may be bad for renters in this situation.  

I rent in the land of millionaires. I scored affordable housing after a few years on the waiting list. I am on the waiting list to purchase, but that may never happen.

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Dennis is our resident billionaire.  He's low key about it so as not to make us all feel inferior.

Right. I drive a Subaru instead of Tesla, Porsche, or Land Rover so as not be ostentatious. 

• Haha 1

Too soon.  No matter where you are.

I really thought getting an adult finally in charge would encourage governors and mayors to start listening to the scientists, but pretty much the opposite has happened.  

My neighbor just made his 3rd emergency trip to the hospital for treatment for his hoax.  Fortunately they've been able to get his O2 levels back up and send him home, but it's scary right now.  So tired of losing friends and relatives

3 minutes ago, 12string said:

I really thought getting an adult finally in charge would encourage governors and mayors to start listening to the scientists, but pretty much the opposite has happened.  

The deniers feel they had to double-down on things, because it is too painful for many to say they are wrong.   Think about how many STILL say covid is a hoax.  Those aren't people you want leading anyone, so they have to shout down the new guy so the old guy doesn't appear as bad as he was.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

The deniers feel they had to double-down on things, because it is too painful for many to say they are wrong.   Think about how many STILL say covid is a hoax.  Those aren't people you want leading anyone, so they have to shout down the new guy so the old guy doesn't appear as bad as he was.

What I don't get is even the most fervid COVID fighters are suddenly over it.  My Governor was quite strict about keeping things closed for a year, now he's removing tones of restrictions.

I found the local places to go where I don’t get in trouble for not wearing a mask.. certain restaurants, gun ranges, fishing on my kayak outdoor activities.. a lot of places still scream at you for not wearing a mask, but I’m over this!! 

• Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

I found the local places to go where I don’t get in trouble for not wearing a mask.. certain restaurants, gun ranges, fishing on my kayak outdoor activities.. a lot of places still scream at you for not wearing a mask, but I’m over this!! 

Yeah, glad you're over it.  It's not over you.  Stay away from my friends and relatives.  And I do honestly pray you don't catch this.

• Heart 1

Weird. No masks in restaurant ever in most places.  Hard to eat with a mask on!

Outdoors, kayaking, also seems ridiculous.  I regularly ride outdoors with no mask - as I am outdoors, socially distanced, and in no danger of spreading or catching anything.

• Heart 3

9 minutes ago, 12string said:

Yeah, glad you're over it.  It's not over you.  Stay away from my friends and relatives.  And I do honestly pray you don't catch this.

Already had it, same with wife and kids. 

People have the right to be afraid of whatever they want, but they should NEVER demand someone else to be scared of the same thing. Everyone has the right to shelter in place, but it should not be demanded of someone to do so. 
Once you start giving up your freedom in fear of everything, what’s really left? 

my main question is.. if people are getting all these shots and they are now “safe” from the virus, why are they still panicking, why are they still demanding multiple masks? 
Why is the government and other places demanding that a vaccine passport be shown for travel? Is this for ease of mind? I mean.. stay 6 feet from others, but let’s pack people on busses, trains, and planes where they are 6 inches from each other... because that’s reasonable. 
do masks help?? Sure they do to some point, but how many people change or clean them as often as they should.. 

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Outdoors, kayaking, also seems ridiculous.  I regularly ride outdoors with no mask - as I am outdoors, socially distanced, and in no danger of spreading or catching anything.

There are places to eat here that don’t care if you walk in with a mask on.. you are basically wearing it for 30 seconds to the table and then not wearing it for 30 min while eating. Some restaurants just said it was a silly concept and didn’t enforce it

There are places to eat here that don’t care if you walk in with a mask on.. you are basically wearing it for 30 seconds to the table and then not wearing it for 30 min while eating. Some restaurants just said it was a silly concept and didn’t enforce it

Yeah, I wouldn't eat indoors at a restaurant even with 50% occupancy (or 25%).  If you're eating inside, unvaccinated, it makes no sense to pretend the brief masking would be useful. 

Social distancing - outdoors - with a supplemental mask when needed, is about the best you can do.  Being indoors with regular or poor ventilation is where masking (double is best) AND social distancing AND common sense really jump to the forefront.  You start removing the stool's legs and bad things happen, but luckily, the vaccine drive is at least becoming a supplement/replacment to the lack of common sense, but it still needs support from the other legs.

• Heart 2

5 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

People have the right to be afraid of whatever they want, but they should NEVER demand someone else to be scared of the same thing. Everyone has the right to shelter in place, but it should not be demanded of someone to do so. 
Once you start giving up your freedom in fear of everything, what’s really left? 

my main question is.. if people are getting all these shots and they are now “safe” from the virus, why are they still panicking, why are they still demanding multiple masks? 
Why is the government and other places demanding that a vaccine passport be shown for travel? Is this for ease of mind? I mean.. stay 6 feet from others, but let’s pack people on busses, trains, and planes where they are 6 inches from each other... because that’s reasonable. 
do masks help?? Sure they do to some point, but how many people change or clean them as often as they should.. 

Glad to hear you and the family made it through safe, Scientists are pretty much in agreement you aren't likely to spread it anymore.   

But SO many things wrong with what you wrote!

When going out in public can kill OTHER people, other people sure as hell CAN demand something of you!  Seriously, your "personal freedom" to not breath through a piece of cloth outweighs their personal freedom to live?  Try reading the declaration these "freedoms" were based on - "life" is in there, "bothered" is not.  This is why we have laws like stop signs and other things intended to keep us from killing each other.   Freedom demands responsibility.

No one is demanding multiple masks from anyone who got a shot.  As a matter of fact, the CDC and Fauci just said pretty much the exact OPPOSITE.

NO ONE is demanding travel passports.  If you are concerned about people trying to make you afraid, the reason you believe that, or that wearing a mask is the government controlling you is 100% because certain people told you that to make you afraid of the government and science.

Yeah, I'm PO'd right now.  Another friend of mine might not see his grandaughters grow up because he believed the lies he was told.  All we had to do was make masks a good thing - like trying to keep other people alive - instead of a political boogeyman.  That's ALL we had to do to keep hundreds of thousands alive.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

Just now, KrAzY said:

mince you start giving up your freedom in fear of everything, what’s really left? 

So I am guessing it is very possible you and your family got it because of someone in your circle not taking precautions and hanging out in places where others weren't, either.  As far as the rhetoric of "panicking", that is a exaggeration you only saw in the ignorant states and Faux News. 

Nobody demands you be scared, they wanted you to behave reasonably to protect others from you and the ignorant folks who thought it was all overblown,  You weren't "giving up freedom" if you wore a mask, you were acting in the interests of the people you interacted with if you wore one, as they were acting in your interest when they wore masks around you.  You are lucky you didn't draw the short straw and have lasting problems, or someone close to you didn't.  I know two people who still have heart problems (one is the gf) since contracting covid, one got it in September and the gf in October.  Not all of it, but lots of this could have been avoided if others had taken reasonable precautions and distanced and listened to reason rather than elected idiots.

I am glad you didn't get it worse.

29 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Not wearing masks when distanced outdoors, that's exactly what the scientists are telling us we can do.  Any ranting about people being scared into wearing masks in that scenario is - yup, purposefully fear driven 

Our society is fucking doomed.  Some of us don't even wish to comply with orders and mandates that help to save the lives of others.  This attitude is so selfish.  It is really not much different than deciding to get behind the wheel while impaired.  It might not kill someone, and the driver believes they are not that drunk and believes they are a good driver.  <crash boom,...dead>

• Heart 2

10 minutes ago, 12string said:

Glad to hear you and the family made it through safe, Scientists are pretty much in agreement you aren't likely to spread it anymore.   

But SO many things wrong with what you wrote!

When going out in public can kill OTHER people, other people sure as hell CAN demand something of you!  Seriously, your "personal freedom" to not breath through a piece of cloth outweighs their personal freedom to live?  Try reading the declaration these "freedoms" were based on - "life" is in there, "bothered" is not.  This is why we have laws like stop signs and other things intended to keep us from killing each other.   Freedom demands responsibility.

No one is demanding multiple masks from anyone who got a shot.  As a matter of fact, the CDC and Fauci just said pretty much the exact OPPOSITE.

NO ONE is demanding travel passports.  If you are concerned about people trying to make you afraid, the reason you believe that, or that wearing a mask is the government controlling you is 100% because certain people told you that to make you afraid of the government and science.

Yeah, I'm PO'd right now.  Another friend of mine might not see his grandaughters grow up because he believed the lies he was told.  All we had to do was make masks a good thing - like trying to keep other people alive - instead of a political boogeyman.  That's ALL we had to do to keep hundreds of thousands alive.

So we are bring laws in to this to force a point instead of mandates. Two separate topics for sure.. 

oh, there are places around the world that are not letting people in unless they show their vaccine card. There are companies firing employees that don’t prove they got the shot, google it up. People are buying filled in black market vaccine cards to keep jobs. 
I also never said I would not wear a mask, just said I don’t like them. I have to wear it at work everyday, but I would rather not.

My background was virology. Worked with the CDC for 6 years as main contact for southwest Wisconsin. So I guess I kind of understand what’s going on a tad.. but not understanding how you how you think I’m in fear of losing my freedom because I believe what others are telling me. 

so what I’m hearing from y’all is “selfish, must do what I’m told, y’all scared because someone does not want the shot” 

3 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Are you living in a backward state that never masked and whose population (mostly) will never vaccinate and never closed?

Welcome to Georgia. Not wearing masks down here degraded from a scientific debate into a political statement, and now devolved into a seeming test of religious faith. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, KrAzY said:

Because you are not safe after being vaccinated.  You can still catch the disease.  It's likely but not certain that your outcome will be better with no hospital time but not guaranteed.  My outlaws thought much the same as you.  One is now in the hospital (age 40) and the others are back in quarantine.

Remember, it's not what's good for you.  It's what's good for the public health of the country.

• Heart 2

No, our city has not re-opened in that kind of way. Indoor seating in restaurants not allowed, as an example.  

None of our municipal recreation centres are open.  I haven't paid attention to for-profit facilities..

Our numbers for variants is high.

I interpret "re-opening" as also not as restrictive requirements for face masking.  

And still alot of office folks working from home....I don't consider that "re-opened" city.  Nor hospitals right now that are dealing with heavier load of covid patients.

12 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Because you are not safe after being vaccinated.  You can still catch the disease.  It's likely but not certain that your outcome will be better with no hospital time but not guaranteed.  My outlaws thought much the same as you.  One is now in the hospital (age 40) and the others are back in quarantine.

Remember, it's not what's good for you.  It's what's good for the public health of the country.

That’s true that you are not in the free and clear from the virus, I never once said that’s how it worked. My problem that I am trying to say is, why should I fear what others fear. This vaccine is just like the flu shot. It’s good till it is not anymore, just there to possibly weakens the strength of the virus. 
there are now over 7 or more strains of the virus running around. The shot is good for the initial one.. 

after having the virus a persons immune system still does the same as a person who had the shot and for about the same amount of time. 

I have three friends that were let go from their place of employment because they refused to get the vaccine. Private companies are now allowed to discriminate against religion beliefs 

Also other countries are demanding vaccine cards for travel. 

59 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

So we are bring laws in to this to force a point instead of mandates. Two separate topics for sure.. 

oh, there are places around the world that are not letting people in unless they show their vaccine card. There are companies firing employees that don’t prove they got the shot, google it up. People are buying filled in black market vaccine cards to keep jobs. 
I also never said I would not wear a mask, just said I don’t like them. I have to wear it at work everyday, but I would rather not.

My background was virology. Worked with the CDC for 6 years as main contact for southwest Wisconsin. So I guess I kind of understand what’s going on a tad.. but not understanding how you how you think I’m in fear of losing my freedom because I believe what others are telling me. 

so what I’m hearing from y’all is “selfish, must do what I’m told, y’all scared because someone does not want the shot” 

What I see is that you have folks on one side getting you so scared of "losing your freedoms" that they are willing to let people (you and people you interact with) become sick and some die or become chronically impaired because it serves them now, with no regard towards the long term outcome.  The common thing here is that they do not care about your health and wellbeing while a new threat vector is still becoming known.  "What is best for me right now?  Well fuck everybody else if it is good for my immediate purpose" is what I see from this sector of "leadership", and also the people who just sheep along with that.  You must realize that there is no plan, no guidance to pass on, just head in the sand and "it will go away on its own..".

On the other hand, you say that others are trying to scare you out of your freedoms.  Ok, let's say you are right, and they are trying to scare people, and are offering ways to help.  The scientists and researchers and epidemiologists are offering best practices for not getting the new (at the time) virus, offering real and evolving advice, and continuing to research and find new ways to help.

So you have one side that is getting you scared and offering nothing, and another getting you scared and offering help, research, guidance, and common sense, and you feel that the side offering literally nothing is more compelling?

With a background in virology, getting away from people who could have the virus is a tested and true bit of common sense.  Masking up to prevent potential infected droplets from infecting others is also a common sense tactic.  If you understand this and still take chances and no precautions, then it is no surprise you got covid and spread it around.

Again, you got lucky you didn't get it worse.  You could have spread it further than your family, to others who had compromised immune systems and potentially had a hand in their getting it and dying or become long-haulers.  The argument for losing your freedom to not wear a mask has to be weighed against carelessness killing others.

7 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

Private companies are now allowed to discriminate against religion beliefs 

I think that may be incorrect or, at the least premature conjecture.  Generally there is a religious exemption and allowance, but unless your friends are Christian Scientists or some other well known anti-vaxxer group, what religions are actively anti-vaxx?  I know of no mainstream religions that are.

4 hours ago, Randomguy said:

It would be nice not to have to wear a mask,

I believe my state is planning to match the CDC guidelines for no masks outside if away from others.

They’re going to 75% restaurant occupancy soon. My county leads the state in vaccination rates, so things look ok here, but statewide I think this too soon. But pretty much anyone who wants the vaccine can get it, so I wont get too upset if rates spike due to unvaccinated people getting sick,  to be honest.

7 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

I have three friends that were let go from their place of employment because they refused to get the vaccine. Private companies are now allowed to discriminate against religion beliefs 

People refusing the vaccine are pretty much idiots with very few exceptions, so why would anyone want a bunch of antivaxxers around just waiting to infect all the other antivax idiots there?  "Let's see, business is down, I can keep the smart people or the dumb people, hmmm..."  If they think of it another way, "I can keep the people less likely to get sick for a couple of weeks or the people more likely to get sick and be out an extended amount of time".  Easy choice.

Not sure what religious belief has to do with this, though, unless it is the "Jesus will protect me" crowd.

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

What I see is that you have folks on one side getting you so scared of "losing your freedoms" that they are willing to let people (you and people you interact with) become sick and some die or become chronically impaired because it serves them now, with no regard towards the long term outcome.  The common thing here is that they do not care about your health and wellbeing while a new threat vector is still becoming known.  "What is best for me right now?  Well fuck everybody else if it is good for my immediate purpose" is what I see from this sector of "leadership", and also the people who just sheep along with that.  You must realize that there is no plan, no guidance to pass on, just head in the sand and "it will go away on its own..".

On the other hand, you say that others are trying to scare you out of your freedoms.  Ok, let's say you are right, and they are trying to scare people, and are offering ways to help.  The scientists and researchers and epidemiologists are offering best practices for not getting the new (at the time) virus, offering real and evolving advice, and continuing to research and find new ways to help.

So you have one side that is getting you scared and offering nothing, and another getting you scared and offering help, research, guidance, and common sense, and you feel that the side offering literally nothing is more compelling?

With a background in virology, getting away from people who could have the virus is a tested and true bit of common sense.  Masking up to prevent potential infected droplets from infecting others is also a common sense tactic.  If you understand this and still take chances and no precautions, then it is no surprise you got covid and spread it around.

Ahhhh yes... the it’s all your fault and you want to kill everyone argument.. 

actually I was never diagnosed with covid. I was in Contact with a person that had covid. My wife contracted it from my wife’s aunt. Being a splice and in the same house I was quarantined and had tests ran twice to see if I contracted it.. I was negative on both tests, but showed the enzymes for it already. The question is... did I have it prior? Did I just get the enzymes from someone else and never got covid because my immune system built up a resistance for it.. I’ll never know. 

once again.. never said masks do not help.. if you read a few posts up you can quote me where I said they do. 
now to what point do they really work.. there is constant run around of you pay attention to from the beginning to now of what our people in power have been telling us.. I have always believed that they do something. It’s been proven for decades in other countries.. if you do not feel right and have to go out.. wear a mask to help not spread what you got to others. 

I also never said I was constantly in close contact with people. The fun ranges are always empty.. ammunition costs too much, fishing is only me on a kayak on a lake, and the restaurants are kind of dead on the days we go. 
Its not like I’m dry jumping someone’s leg close. What I’m getting at is I  just don’t like the idea of living in fear because it makes someone else more comfortable. Wear a mask all the time.. it does not bother me on bit

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Discus.

Maryland has already reduced a lot of restrictions, beginning in March, including no restrictions at restaurants except wearing masks while not eating or drinking. As a result we've gone from one of the lowest COVID case and death rates to average.  Of course, there's a balance between prevention and letting the economy survive so there are arguments in favor of some minimization of restrictions.

Vaccinations, masks, social distancing, etc. has been championed by our GOP Governor from the start (his very popular "Just wear the damn masks" comment went viral around Thanksgiving and greatly led to increased (94%) mask usage) so both the GOP and Dem politicians have been pretty unified in their fight-the-pandemic message.  As vaccinations continue, we're seeing a drop in cases and deaths as the USA is as a whole.

We still have mask and social-distancing requirements and they're expected to remain in force for a long time.  It's ok to walk/bike trails without a mask but there are signs on them now urging people to wear them which is insane since there were no such signs at the height of the pandemic and our governor and state's chief medical officer both said we didn't need to wear them "while out on a walk," which meshes with medical evidence.

I don't wear a mask on the trails, but make sure I social distance and I wear one of my 4-for-$10-at-Amazon "vaccinated" badges to put anyone I meet at ease.

237634991_BADGES-4for10atAmazon.JPG.2daa74742797a3dac2e96d653050e098.JPG

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I think that may be incorrect or, at the least premature conjecture.  Generally there is a religious exemption and allowance, but unless your friends are Christian Scientists or some other well known anti-vaxxer group, what religions are actively anti-vaxx?  I know of no mainstream religions that are.

Not sure what religion the anti-vax people are. Just know that they did not produce a vaccine card and were let go. They are working on a lawsuit dealing with HIPPA.. that’s all I’m allowed to know for now per their lawyer 

1 minute ago, MickinMD said:

I don't wear a mask on the trails, but make sure I social distance and I wear one of my 4-for-$10-at-Amazon "vaccinated" badges to put anyone I meet at ease.

237634991_BADGES-4for10atAmazon.JPG.2daa74742797a3dac2e96d653050e098.JPG

I promise I’m not making fun of you, but it just reminded me of the movie office space. 

58C6BE38-4D35-4F30-A4AD-5D2F30DFDF3F.jpeg

• Haha 1

Just now, KrAzY said:

Not sure what religion the anti-vax people are. Just know that they did not produce a vaccine card and were let go. They are working on a lawsuit dealing with HIPPA.. that’s all I’m allowed to know for now per their lawyer 

Yeah, they better find a religion ASAP.  Even the Catholic warning around it is not against all COVID vaccines, just, I think, the J&J one?  Again, Christian Scientists have a history of being anti-medicine (or whatever the core beliefs support), but there likely aren't a lot of them in TX or really anywhere. I could see Scientologists also being anti-vaxx.

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

The shot is good for the initial one.. 

after having the virus a persons immune system still does the same as a person who had the shot and for about the same amount of time. 

The mRNA vaccines are effective against all current strains. It’s true that if the virus festers and mutates more, it could evolve to not be covered by the vaccine. But the vaccine definitely does give longer coverage against infection than a mild case of Covid will, that immunity from infection can wear off after 4 months or so. The shot definitely works longer.

I don’t think any company should be able to demand vaccination while it simply has an FDA exemption for emergent use and not full FDA approval. Who knows what the virus landscape will be by that time.