When is your state or city reopening?

Randomguy

6 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

People refusing the vaccine are pretty much idiots with very few exceptions, so why would anyone want a bunch of antivaxxers around just waiting to infect all the other antivax idiots there?  "Let's see, business is down, I can keep the smart people or the dumb people, hmmm..."  If they think of it another way, "I can keep the people less likely to get sick for a couple of weeks or the people more likely to get sick and be out an extended amount of time".  Easy choice.

Not sure what religious belief has to do with this, though, unless it is the "Jesus will protect me" crowd.

So just because someone doesn’t want something means they are idiots.. good to know.. maybe some people can not have it (like my wife and myself) because of immune issues and were told not to get it because it could cause rapid deterioration of organs or side effects would be strong in us and hospitalization would happen. 

also glad you have something against the religious groups. 

38 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

What I’m getting at is I  just don’t like the idea of living in fear because it makes someone else more comfortable.

Well that is one thing, especially with all the Karens out and about.  But when it has the clear and realized potential to affect others that can reasonably expect a very bad outcome if they get it, a mask isn't all that onerous to wear.  Doctors, nurses, dentists, painters, meth producers, all manner of people wear them and they somehow get oxygen and kept their freedoms.    Nobody likes wearing masks, there has to be a very good reason to wear them, and there is/soon to be was, hopefully.  How would wearing a mask make you live in fear?

26 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

So just because someone doesn’t want something means they are idiots.. good to know.. maybe some people can not have it (like my wife and myself) because of immune issues and were told not to get it because it could cause rapid deterioration of organs or side effects would be strong in us and hospitalization would happen. 

also glad you have something against the religious groups. 

An idiot ignores common sense and common decency, especially in regards to the vaccine.  It is free.  It is safe with very, very few exceptions.  It works, and seems to work on the new mutations.  It will allow you to ditch mask requirements.  It helps keep you safe, your family safe, and others safe.  It allows freedom from restrictions or fear as you say, all kinds of upside.

The downside is you get two shots, and the second one makes you feel like dogshit for a day.  Way better than getting the full-blown virus and society marches on without having to deal with all the downsides.

All win, rather than all lose.

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Well that is one thing, especially with all the Karens out and about.  But when it has the clear and realized potential to affect others that can reasonably expect a very bad outcome if they get it, a mask isn't all that onerous to wear.  Doctors, nurses, dentists, painters, meth producers, all manner of people wear them and they somehow get oxygen and kept their freedoms.    Nobody likes wearing masks, there has to be a very good reason to wear them, and there is/soon to be was, hopefully.  How would wearing a mask make you live in fear?

An idiot ignores common sense and common decency, especially in regards to the vaccine.  It is free.  It is safe with very, very few exceptions.  It works, and seems to work on the new mutations.  It will allow you to ditch mask requirements.  It helps keep you safe, your family safe, and others safe.  It allows freedom from restrictions or fear as you say, all kinds of upside.

The downside is you get two shots, and the second one makes you feel like dogshit for a day.  Way better than getting the full-blown virus and society marches on without having to deal with all the downsides.

T

Wearing a mask does not make me live in fear. I never said I fear the virus, I said it gives false hopes that you will not contract it, and that the people who really fear it, it helps and hinders their fear all together. 
just because someone is fearful of a rabbit attack, does not mean I need to fear a rabbit to make them feel better about themselves. If someone is really that panicked about the virus, get the shot, stay home in isolation, live your life the way you want, just don’t force me to help coddle someone’s issues so they feel better about themselves. Slap on your big boy pants and live life! 

Let’s look at the vaccine like this:

if a vasectomy was free would you still wear a condom knowing that you couldn’t get somebody pregnant possibly? 
would you trust that the categorization was just good enough without being tested or would you not take chances and keep wearing condoms? 

also not sure if you read what I posted.. the wife and I were urged from the vaccine due to medical issues. We were told more complications could come from the shots then the virus. 

23 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

It is safe with very, very few exceptions.

What does the 5 or 10 year data say?  Oh, that's right, nothing, because this is the first time this technology has been used for a vaccine.

It's likely safe.

I help out for a couple of month because I was concerned about the vaccine safety.

The vaccine may or may not be safe.  The virus almost certainly is not.  It was a tough choice between the lesser of two evils.

• Heart 2

I just don't get all of this connection between "fear" and mask wearing.

Science tells us that wearing masks does little to stop US from getting the virus, but does a ton to stop us from SPREADING the virus.

That's science and human decency inspiring us to wear masks.

The "fear" is an excuse, and it's baseless.  Brough to you by the "fear of losing your freedom (or taking your guns or getting cancelled, muslims, immigrants, commies....) crowd, who has been using baseless fear for decades because they need a boogeyman to distract from truth.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, KrAzY said:

That’s true that you are not in the free and clear from the virus, I never once said that’s how it worked. My problem that I am trying to say is, why should I fear what others fear. This vaccine is just like the flu shot. It’s good till it is not anymore, just there to possibly weakens the strength of the virus. 
there are now over 7 or more strains of the virus running around. The shot is good for the initial one.. 

after having the virus a persons immune system still does the same as a person who had the shot and for about the same amount of time. 

I have three friends that were let go from their place of employment because they refused to get the vaccine. Private companies are now allowed to discriminate against religion beliefs 

Also other countries are demanding vaccine cards for travel. 

1.  The shot seems to work on most if not all of the variants.  More study on that is needed and some variants may not get the same level of protection.  

2.  It's not at all clear how long one's immunity lasts after getting the disease.

3.  You may get the virus and never know it.  In that case you will just be a typhoid mary for others.  That's where the public health comes in.

4.  Given the number of people refusing to have the vaccination, the shot card passport is a good idea.  

5.  Can't speak to the religious part.

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

1.  The shot seems to work on most if not all of the variants.  More study on that is needed and some variants may not get the same level of protection.  

2.  It's not at all clear how long one's immunity lasts after getting the disease.

3.  You may get the virus and never know it.  In that case you will just be a typhoid mary for others.  That's where the public health comes in.

4.  Given the number of people refusing to have the vaccination, the shot card passport is a good idea.  

5.  Can't speak to the religious part.

Let’s go with the numbers. 
1) MOST is the key word. Lab tests are great and all, but people are not all built the same. What might work for one will not work for thousands. It’s going to be trial and error for years. 

2) that’s true, but they are not really sure how long the shot will protect anyone either. 

3) without germs and viruses, our immune system would not protect us against the environment. We need healthy germs to help build against other things. What says we will not build a natural immunity against this virus until it just acts as the common cold.. which the common cold is also a covid virus... funny how that works out. 

4) shot card/passport is a good way of separation and dividing people. It is like telling someone they can have the freedom to do something while others can not. 
should that really be where we are heading that way as a society? I mean we spend years breaking down racial walls, glass ceilings, and in a year we are pitted against each other over a shot.. 

5) I got nothing.. 

I don't like the passport on a constitutional basis, it's a huge can of worms that could be (mis)applied in too many other places.  It's a shame our country has come to even having to consider it instead of thinking Americans will stick together and look out for each other.  But since businesses have the right to serve who they want, I think it would help our society a ton if people with vaccines get to go bowling.  You would suddenly see a whole lot of principles and beliefs change so they can also go to a noisy smelly hall and wear other peoples' shoes.

I have also heard companies releasing people for not getting vaccinated.  With few exceptions, there's a good chance those companies will be punished after the cases go to court.

You really have to twist words to think God doesn't want you to try to stay alive and keep people around you alive.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

The shot does work for the most common current variant, the one that is responsible for increasing hospitalization for younger people. It’s your choice to not be vaccinated based on your past Covid exposure, but let’s keep the facts straight. And immunity from illness is less long-lived than from the vaccine. True, the duration of coverages from the vaccine hasn’t been determined, but it is clearly longer than from mild-to-moderate illness.

3 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

1) MOST is the key word. Lab tests are great and all, but people are not all built the same. What might work for one will not work for thousands. It’s going to be trial and error for years. 

2) that’s true, but they are not really sure how long the shot will protect anyone either. 

3) without germs and viruses, our immune system would not protect us against the environment. We need healthy germs to help build against other things. What says we will not build a natural immunity against this virus until it just acts as the common cold.. which the common cold is also a covid virus... funny how that works out. 

4) shot card/passport is a good way of separation and dividing people. It is like telling someone they can have the freedom to do something while others can not. 
should that really be where we are heading that way as a society? I mean we spend years breaking down racial walls, glass ceilings, and in a year we are pitted against each other over a shot.. 

5) I got nothing.. 

3)  So, make no effort, let people just magically develop an immmunity?  575,000 dead not enough for you?  You virology background should inform you that the common cold never killed like that.

4) Vaccinations aren't what's dividing people.   Facts are.  We were divided by a leader who intentionally divided us for his perceived political benefit.  That is the ONLY reason masks divided people.  That's the ONLY reason not closing down divided people.  That the MAJOR reason why hundreds of thousands more died than needed to.  That's also the MAJOR reason why vaccines are even in question for most people.  We were divided on purpose, through incessant lies and fear mongering about some made up "freedoms".  THAT'S the division.  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

4 minutes ago, 12string said:

I don't like the passport on a constitutional basis, it's a huge can of worms that could be (mis)applied in too many other places.

I think the "passport" is nebulous at best.  Certainly 1) not a thing currently, nor 2) likely a thing that the US will put in place that will impact US citizens.  I'd say the US might put travel restrictions on foreigners coming here (they must prove vaccinated and/or test negative), and/or foreign countries will put restrictions in place for Americans visiting their countries (they must prove vaccinated and/or test negative). 

I would think there might be a rolling requirement by states or counties for vaccine requirements for kids in schools, public health workers, LEA, or the like.  Personally, I have a relatively long list of vaccines under my belt from probably my first year of life through to my tetanus booster a few years ago. I've only gotten a flu shot once (I didn't get the flu that year :) ) but I'm guessing there is some sort of mandate for those early vaccines like Measles, Mumps, or Rubella????  Maybe not?? I can't think a measles outbreak is in anyway in the public or my personal interest, but I certainly support an exemption for a select & reasonable group of folks - usually around a medical issue.

I think the folks here are all arguing around a bunch of similar but not identical points.  I really think using the charged "fear" was and remains a crappy choice of words.  I'd hope we can all agree that FIRST and foremost, rational application of social distancing, masking in some cases, double masking in others, and reducing exposure to "unknown" folks is a great, prudent, and relatively painless set of "rules" to follow.  No one is getting COVID with no exposure to sick folks.  Few are getting COVID when adding barriers (masks, plexiglass, or similar stuff) in brief moments of exposure.  A small minority are getting COVID when rarely(!) being exposed to unknown folks for brief periods of time.  At the opposite end of the spectrum, lots of folks get COVID by changing those rules around.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, 12string said:

3)  So, make no effort, let people just magically develop an immmunity?  575,000 dead not enough for you?  You virology background should inform you that the common cold never killed like that.

4) Vaccinations aren't what's dividing people.   Facts are.  We were divided by a leader who intentionally divided us for his perceived political benefit.  That is the ONLY reason masks divided people.  That's the ONLY reason not closing down divided people.  That the MAJOR reason why hundreds of thousands more died than needed to.  That's also the MAJOR reason why vaccines are even in question for most people.  We were divided on purpose, through incessant lies and fear mongering about some made up "freedoms".  THAT'S the division.  

At what part did I say not to get the shot? Stop reading what I’m not typing. Go back and re-read it.. 

Many people have died, we lost family and friends... but remember those numbers are also people that died of over doses, accidents, and whatnot.. some might have tested positive for covid, but that’s is not what killed them. Even the CDC said on their site their numbers were off!

All leaders try to divide the nation. Not one leader tried to get the nation to love one another. But remember that leaders were just doing what they wanted as a “do as I say, but I’m not following those rules” 

both sides did this through the pandemic. So don’t blame one without blaming the other. 
When states started opening up like Florida and Texas.. we were told the death totals would rise again... they dropped and have been buy a lot everyday. Other states started to say screw it and open up.. their death rates have been also dropping with or without the majority being vaccinated. How is this possible if people are going around by the thousands and not wearing masks anymore? 

I don’t know when VA is planning to ease restrictions, I haven’t been paying attention. I stay home most of the time and wear a mask when I go out. I don’t “fear” the virus. I fear that my wife will catch it and likely die. She is immuno compromised. She get ls her second vaccine tomorrow. Mine is on May 11.

Krazy,I am sorry to hear that you and your wife have a medical condition that makes you at risk for organ failure.  

I have MS and take immuno supressive drugs.  I have not heard of any risks from the shot. I got the Moderna and everything is all good here. My last blood test looked good. Wewillsee how the next one is.  I don't expect problems from it. 

• Heart 1

23 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

but remember those numbers are also people that died of over doses, accidents, and whatnot.. some might have tested positive for covid, but that’s is not what killed them.

Another lie you've been told.  CDC is NOT counting unrelated deaths with positive COVID tests.  Again, background and all, you should know that there is almost definitely an undercount.

And no "both sides" didn't do this.  Both sides made political hay with it, for sure.  But only one did it in a way that caused hundreds of Thousands of needless deaths.  And you'll note, I started this by ripping governors and mayors of all persuasions for opening too soon.

I'll step out of this now, I'm well past cranky about it and probably already said things I didn't mean to upset you, so sorry.  Stay safe!

14 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Krazy,I am sorry to hear that you and your wife have a medical condition that makes you at risk for organ failure.  

I have MS and take immuno supressive drugs.  I have not heard of any risks from the shot. I got the Moderna and everything is all good here. My last blood test looked good. Wewillsee how the next one is.  I don't expect problems from it. 

Even though Ms is nothing to joke about, we both have issues with T cell reproduction and she has other issues on top of that. I have an issues with shots that cause worse side effects when given something. I am allergic to the drying agent in most hand sanitizers also.. I was told they could not guarantee the issues I would have from this, so I best not get it. 

7 minutes ago, 12string said:

Another lie you've been told.  CDC is NOT counting unrelated deaths with positive COVID tests.  Again, background and all, you should know that there is almost definitely an undercount.

And no "both sides" didn't do this.  Both sides made political hay with it, for sure.  But only one did it in a way that caused hundreds of Thousands of needless deaths.  And you'll note, I started this by ripping governors and mayors of all persuasions for opening too soon.

I'll step out of this now, I'm well past cranky about it and probably already said things I didn't mean to upset you, so sorry.  Stay safe!

I’m not in it for political things, and I’m not upset. Please do t apologize for anything said. 

2 hours ago, KrAzY said:

5) I got nothing.. 

But they did test it on thousands and it worked on thousands with just the odd duck having extremely rare side effects.  They are sure the shot lasts at least six months, but project much longer.  Covid 19 germs are not healthy germs and they have proven harmful (extremely harmful to some) rather than neutral or helpful.  Dividing those that have low risk vs. high risk is extremely helpful, and happens all over.  If I go someplace, even vaccinated, my temperature is still taken and I still have to give tracing information.

Vaccinations are the best shot we have at getting back to normal.  Masks and avoiding crowd events and indoor sickies is next.  Not sure why some folks are against masks, against the shots, against common sense, call the virus a hoax, then get all surprised when people are getting sicker than dog shit all around them but blame mask-wearing, shot-getting social distancers for everyone getting sick and saying "See? That shit don't work,"

I will post the "all deaths" numbers for the last year later tonight, no way (literally none) a reasonable person can attribute the massive rise of deaths in the last year to any other reason than covid.  Like I said, I am glad you didn't get sick, but when you court a disease and it finds you and mix and play with antimaskers, you can't really say vaccinations are a bad idea and are ineffective and unsafe or any other crazy theory.  I would find a second opinion about whether to get the shot or not, Texas is the land of complete and utter denial and your doctor is a Texan and not exempt from that influence.

1 hour ago, KrAzY said:

I was told they could not guarantee the issues I would have from this

I react way worse to the flu shot, and have massive flu like symptoms for a week or so.  Not everyone has the same issues, like you said, but when this mutates, and it sounds like a sure thing because people couldn't bother to put on masks or distance and many are unwilling to get shots, it would be nice to get a second opinion that confirms you can't get it, or a dissenting opinion where it might be helpful to get it. At least then you would be fully informed, especially as more time passes and more data points collected.

14 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

But they did test it on thousands and it worked on thousands with just the odd duck having extremely rare side effects.  They are sure the shot lasts at least six months, but project much longer.  Covid 19 germs are not healthy germs and they have proven harmful (extremely harmful to some) rather than neutral or helpful.  Dividing those that have low risk vs. high risk is extremely helpful, and happens all over.  If I go someplace, even vaccinated, my temperature is still taken and I still have to give tracing information.

Vaccinations are the best shot we have at getting back to normal.  Masks and avoiding crowd events and indoor sickies is next.  Not sure why some folks are against masks, against the shots, against common sense, call the virus a hoax, then get all surprised when people are getting sicker than dog shit all around them but blame mask-wearing, shot-getting social distancers for everyone getting sick and saying "See? That shit don't work,"

I will post the "all deaths" numbers for the last year later tonight, no way (literally none) a reasonable person can attribute the massive rise of deaths in the last year to any other reason than covid.  Like I said, I am glad you didn't get sick, but when you court a disease and it finds you and mix and play with antimaskers, you can't really say vaccinations are a bad idea and are ineffective and unsafe or any other crazy theory.  I would find a second opinion about whether to get the shot or not, you live in the land of complete and utter denial and your doctor is not exempt from that.

Can you also run the data on the people that died from other issues like double pneumonia, heart attacks, strokes, motor vehicle accidents, being shot, drug over doses, suicides and the such.. what are the numbers of the people that truest died from covid? 
just because a person has/had covid, it does not mean that is what they truly died from. 

15 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I react way worse to the flu shot, and have massive flu like symptoms for a week or so.  Not everyone has the same issues, like you said, but when this mutates, and it sounds like a sure thing because people couldn't bother to put on masks or distance and many are unwilling to get shots, it would be nice to get a second opinion that confirms you can't get it, or a dissenting opinion where it might be helpful to get it. At least then you would be fully informed, especially as more time passes and more data points collected.

I will go a second opinion down the road, but for now.. this is what I have been told by my physician. 
Data is key, sadly it’s going to take a while to compile it all. How many mutations until it is compiled. Also will the virus get stronger over time or weaker.. we will not know until we all see what happens. 

Things are opening up here. Positives are way down. We have a large percentage of people who won't vaccinate or are only getting the first shot. Mother's Day weekend will be telling because there are high school graduations and Cinco de Mayo festivals going on as well. If numbers stay down after that, I will feel much better about things here. 

A large number are still masking in stores, but not restaurants. I have a list of clients who have been vaccinated. If there is no outside traffic, I don't mask at those locations if they are ok with it. Most are actually happy if I don't. It's nice to see faces again. One client has a few new employees. A couple commented it was nice to see what the rest of me looked like!

We are still being careful, but starting to see a few people we know are good. Our Hear Grand Island music events will be starting in a few weeks. Outdoor music downtown. Looking forward to it!

When is your state or city reopening?

Not sure about our state.  It may be a while. 

There are  several metrics that are being used.  One is still 'red'.    The others appear to be OK.

...and new COVID-19 hospital admissions, total COVID-19 patients in the hospital, and death rates are not increasing significantly statewide over the most recent 28 days.

image.png.1d4d0a3d55ee8349fa031981a978918f.png

24 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

There are  several metrics that are being used.  One is still 'red'.    The others appear to be OK.

It's not hard to see that as so many folks have now received at least one dose of the vaccine and/or have antibodies from having had COVID, that numbers should be dropping across the board - gradually and then faster and faster. Even the "stupid" stuff of folks going out and ignoring basic stuff like the distancing, masking, avoiding enclosed spaces with groups will have less and less real impact on things.  If numbers do go up, it is because of some REALLY reckless actions, but it would take a lot - at this point - to outweigh the momentum of an approaching majority of folks vaccinated.  Almost 20% (9/50) of states are at 50+% vaccinated at least one time!  That's HUGE.  Only Miss, Ala, and Louisiana are BELOW 1/3 of the population with at least one shot.

IOW, the US is - through rational folks following simple rules and the rise of vaccinations - doing reasonably well.  Backtracking may happen as folks get complacent, but the tide is pretty much turned.  Coupled with the obvious MOST susceptible/at risk ARE vaccinated and the MASSIVELY improved treatments and reduced strain on the healthcare system, and we really have to look outside our borders for the challenges ahead.  If the rest of the world doesn't get vaccinated in a quick enough way, we risk the mutations that will have a way around the current vaccines, so we'll all be looking at a new round of shots.  It won't, hopefully, be so overwhelming as the original tsunami was, and hopefully the systems are now in place to deal with any new threats.

• Heart 1

31 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

IOW, the US is - through rational folks following simple rules and the rise of vaccinations - doing reasonably well.  Backtracking may happen as folks get complacent, but the tide is pretty much turned.  C

Good points, and even with all that, some of the folks not getting shots and not wearing masks are going to still get the virus and allow it to mutate much further.  Thanks, Obama antimaskers and antivaxxers!

Anyway, I am with DH in that humanity is pretty much hopeless in the face of future pandemics because of the "wearing masks = giving up your freedom" nonsense.  If the bubonic plague happened now, there still would be nutcases shouting "GOVERNMENT CONTROL, THIS IS HOW THEY CONTROL YOU!!!" and would go on having parties and political rallies and going to restaurants maskless and such.   There will certainly be bigger and badder pandemics down the road, but I am hoping that is another 100 years off (but I doubt it).

Our county has been moved to extreme risk. We have the worst numbers in the state.  

77 new cases yesterday.  For an area as small as we are this is bad. 

I will refrain from saying more, because it is not forum safe. I am super pissed off about these numbers.  

• Hugs 1

On 4/30/2021 at 12:15 PM, Razors Edge said:

so many folks have now received at least one dose of the vaccine

I’ll be happily surprised if we get to 60% of the country fully vaccinated. I’d even be grateful if we converted all 30-something% of folks who have gotten the first dose to fully vaccinated status, that would be reaching 53-55 % in the best of states. But I hear too many stories of open vaccine appoints going unfilled and people skipping vaccine dose #2 due to concerns of (mild, brief) side effects to hold much optimism that the we’re going to peak out at the immunization numbers needed to fully squelch this, nationally. 

29F84F46-F257-4DF5-B6A4-4905BF17A645.png

07926A63-321D-49E1-98D4-F08E6CEF8BC7.png

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Looks like a lot of older folks have been vaccinated and the younger ones are immortal.  I would expect in the current environment that this line will continue to fall.

Yeah, people will get complacent, now that the weather is getting nicer and there are more things to do, people who would get the shot will put it off, at least some of them.  The anti-vaxxers, I wonder how many will change their minds at some point.  It won't be this summer, I do expect the numbers of cases to fall in summer, what with the vaccinations that have taken place and the virus not able to handle sunlight, plus people doing their socializing outside.  

I think there will be an uptick in the fall, though.  Not like in the past year, but enough to keep this simmering pretty much forever.