Quote of the Day: A. C. Benson

Inspiration Bot

7 hours ago, Inspiration Bot said:

"People seldom refuse help, if one offers it in the right way."

View the full article

That's true.  You can humiliate people in certain circumstances even though you care about them and just want to help.

For example I have a cousin who, a few years ago, was suffering terrible toothaches for months: she had previously taken a medication for a different issue known to make jawbones weak and the dentist wouldn't do the oral surgery needed without some X-rays and other tests my cousin couldn't afford - she's one of those "cash only" people who doesn't use a credit card (we tell her that's insanity) and never goes into debt.

Nevertheless, she refused help from other friends and relatives because, as she later told me, she felt humiliated and depressed about not being able to handle the financial problem.  When I learned of her dental problems and "stubbornness," I sent her a check for $500 with a note saying my siblings and I had had some good fortune lately, finding some lost money from our late mother's estate that we inherited, and we wanted to share our good fortune with one of our mother's favorite nieces.

Total bullshit.  But that worked and she got her teeth fixed.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1