Roof on, siding, windows, doors partly on

MickinMD

You are going to win.

They are working on sheetrock, but my crew is very slow.  We are still missing our transom windows and those are not coming in until May 7th, I hear. 

Are wecounting the garage at fullcompletion?  Cause, our garage door is delayed until June 28.  You don't have a garage here, so I assume that is not a part of the race.  

Looks good. I love the color. I bet the neighbor is happy toseeprogress.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

If I might offer a suggestion - the overhead service running to the house looks undersized for a modern home, which is what you will have once the renovations are done.  Perhaps what's in the picture is a temporary 'construction' service that some utilities allow to be that small. 

If not, I'd like to recommend upgrading the cables between the house and the connection at the utility pole.  The wire isn't that expensive, and it shouldn't be that many labor hours to install.  You may have to pay a connection fee or for the labor for the utility to connect the new wires.  If the existing wires do represent the overhead portion of your electric service, you will notice lights dimming when you start large loads such as the dryer motor or the furnace motor (should you have a hot air furnace).  Even if you don't have those, when you eventually sell any inspector worth his fee will notice it and put it in his report.

image.png.9e09900dfd0204a8785a26f66da1e71c.png

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

If I might offer a suggestion - the overhead service running to the house looks undersized for a modern home, which is what you will have once the renovations are done.  Perhaps what's in the picture is a temporary 'construction' service that some utilities allow to be that small. 

If not, I'd like to recommend upgrading the cables between the house and the connection at the utility pole.  The wire isn't that expensive, and it shouldn't be that many labor hours to install.  You may have to pay a connection fee or for the labor for the utility to connect the new wires.  If the existing wires do represent the overhead portion of your electric service, you will notice lights dimming when you start large loads such as the dryer motor or the furnace motor (should you have a hot air furnace).  Even if you don't have those, when you eventually sell any inspector worth his fee will notice it and put it in his report.

I was wondering... where is the electric meter?  The meter socket, conduit, etc... ??  That didn't look 'right' to me earlier today.  But I got distracted... 

M2LR3JQ6UEI6NKDTIUBQUCNLTE.thumb.jpg.8a9166ae3ad36601add42c2e14ccd0da.jpgVery nice Sir.  :)

Could you go with a different color and siding on the sides ( area TK has circled ) to accent the house?  Like a shingle look siding. I very much like the mini Cape Cod look of the house and if you find a color and style you love it could make it look even more like a doll house.  :nodhead:

• Awesome 1

3 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

image.png.9e09900dfd0204a8785a26f66da1e71c.png

Thanks.  I assume they'll have the power company run a new line from the telephone pole to the house but I'll bring it to the contractor's attention.

• Heart 1

27 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

M2LR3JQ6UEI6NKDTIUBQUCNLTE.thumb.jpg.8a9166ae3ad36601add42c2e14ccd0da.jpgVery nice Sir.  :)

Could you go with a different color and siding on the sides ( area TK has circled ) to accent the house?  Like a shingle look siding. I very much like the mini Cape Cod look of the house and if you find a color and style you love it could make it look even more like a doll house.  :nodhead:

Obviously, we're not going to make changes now: all the siding has been delivered.

I'm 70 and want to go with the easiest to maintain stuff.  We originally didn't choose the dutchlap siding, picking the flat, horizontal siding, because dirt can accumulate on the bend at the top of the dutchlap siding.  But we could only get the Oxford Blue siding in dutchlap.

It's really hard to get the items you want, including appliances, ceiling fans, etc. because a lot of the factories making them shut down at the height of the pandemic and many are not running at full-speed now.

I have no fashion or style sense myself, my scientist's brain having a Sheldon Cooper-like form-follows-function mentality.

So I've been relying on others for advise - especially my sister - and we've been going to the contractor's headquarters, looking through lots of booklets and samples, looking online, etc.

• Heart 1