Brothers in Arms.

jsharr

My brother invited the boys and I dove hunting this AM.  Boys were excited to say the least.  Up at 4:45.  Met my brother and some other men at 5:15.   In the fields in Celina by 6:15 for 6:30 season opening.

Both boys did great.  Everyone got at least one dove, but I think Wade and Greg may have helped Ryan with that one.  Only downside was I did not bring a box a 20 ga. shells for Ryan's single shot 20, so he shot his Uncle's 870 Express some.

Wade rocked.  He was a natural shot and got 6 doves.  I tried to let him have first shot at anything that came our way.  We got over a dozen doves between the 4 of us.  Did  not get a final count of our doves, but I know that the boys and I helped clean 44 doves for the group of about 10 hunters.

10442915_10203325384107689_7956352725260

10628459_10203324997258018_7197087008287

10616060_10203324881335120_8649971459414

• Heart 3

I remember dove hunting back in the day.  I remember a lot of misses.  I was a very good wing shooter - clays, grouse, woodcock, pheasant, ducks, geese - doves were the toughest for me.

Amazing how many shells it takes to take one dove. Oy!  Fast swervey little fornicators.

• Heart 1

What do they taste like?  Can you eat them raw?  Do you have to peel them first?

They taste like whatever you marinate them in.  You could eat them raw, but I would advise against it.  Yes, you peel the skin back from the breast, pull the breast free and cut it off.  Both boys had to do this.  If you shoot it, you clean it and cook it.  We did not cook any yesterday, but they will eat dove soon.

Also, Ryan and my brother must have been hunting in East Chiggerstan.  They are covered in chigger bites.  Wade and I got off almost without a single bite.  Ryan's are so bad that I let him stay home today.  I have never seen more chigger bites on one boy in my life and they places the chiggers decided to bite are not very nice places to have sore itchy bumps to say the least.

Amazing how many shells it takes to take one dove. Oy!  Fast swervey little fornicators.

Wade was a natural point shooter.  Swung the gun very nicely and made some really good shots for a first time dove hunter.  I was impressed and proud.  If I had more opportunities to dove hunt, shotguns would be on my short list of gift ideas for the boys.