They’d better pace themselves

Prophet Zacharia

Even though we’re all vaccinated now I’m still not going to an Angel game this year.  I’m good giving covid another year or two to settle down more before going to any stadiums.  

Our rates are really low in OC but we’re still not eating in restaurants nor going to any busy public places like malls yet.

20 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Beer

I wasn’t aware that alcohol consumption was a huge issue for fans at MLB games. NFL, yes, where there is a huge tailgating agenda for some to get as intoxicated as possible for game time. But baseball? On a mass scale?

I’ve seen reports of fights at California baseball games, but had attributed it more to local team rivals (with near gang-like loyalty), and attributed it mostly to Dodgers/Giants games. But this game was a cross country team (maybe Cincinnati?) making me wonder is this a Dodger Stadium issue? A Californian baseball thing? Or happening at MLB games regularly, everywhere?

I hope this isn’t the real reason @ChrisL got concussion #4! 

On 5/2/2021 at 5:37 AM, Square Wheels said:

While I like watching sports, I often find it odd I am watching other grown men play a game.  I am certainly not risking my health over it.

So true.  I'd much rather be playing the game than watching the game, and I definitely ain't going out of my way to pack myself into a crowd to watch any game. 

6 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I wasn’t aware that alcohol consumption was a huge issue for fans at MLB games. NFL, yes, where there is a huge tailgating agenda for some to get as intoxicated as possible for game time. But baseball? On a mass scale?

I’ve seen reports of fights at California baseball games, but had attributed it more to local team rivals (with near gang-like loyalty), and attributed it mostly to Dodgers/Giants games. But this game was a cross country team (maybe Cincinnati?) making me wonder is this a Dodger Stadium issue? A Californian baseball thing? Or happening at MLB games regularly, everywhere?

Chis has mentioned sporting events and the ensuing azzhatery of the fans out here.  Not sure if it is certain teams or leagues, or across all cities and sports. 

6 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Dodger fans are some of the worse in all of sports.  If they aren’t attacking fans of rival teams they are constantly running their mouths talking shit. And it may sound like I’m over generalizing but you just have to see it to believe it. With maybe a few exceptions Dodger fans are ass holes.

No, it’s not a CA thing it is only a Dodger thing.   I have been to more Angels games than I can remember and the only issue I ever had was with a Dodger fan. I have also been to Giants, A’s and Padre games and the fans are super cool.  I will never ever go to Dodger stadium ever again. 

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Dodger fans are some of the worse in all of sports.  If they aren’t attacking fans of rival teams they are constantly running their mouths talking shit. And it may sound like I’m over generalizing but you just have to see it to believe it. With maybe a few exceptions Dodger fans are ass holes.

No, it’s not a CA thing it is only a Dodger thing.   I have been to more Angels games than I can remember and the only issue I ever had was with a Dodger fan. I have also been to Giants, A’s and Padre games and the fans are super cool.  I will never ever go to Dodger stadium ever again. 

Is this a Yankee fan describing Red Sox fans or a Penquins fan describing Flyers fan sort of analysis?  Or is this really an "any rational person would see how insane Dodger fans are" sort of thing?

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Is this a Yankee fan describing Red Sox fans or a Penquins fan describing Flyers fan sort of analysis?  Or is this really an "any rational person would see how insane Dodger fans are" sort of thing?

Maybe ask some Padre fans and see what they say.  It’s really just a Dodger thing...

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Is it gang related? Are there “professional” agitators who go for a good fight? Or just a fight-lovin’ group?

They attract a huge following of the East LA Hispanics so there is a gang association with them but it’s more than that.

They can’t just talk up their team, they will talk shit on your team in the process.  You are basically a loser if you follow any other team and they will tell you as much at every opportunity.  Defend your team and be ready to fight, either verbally or physically.

My cousin is married to a huge Dodger fan and he is a highly educated college professor.  At family gatherings he knows I’m an Angel fan like his wife and he always gave me shit about it.  I once called him out on regardless of the socioeconomic background of Dodger fan, they are a bunch of shit talking ass holes.  My cousin burst out in laughter.  He actually owned up to it and agreed. He also stopped bagging on my team to me.

Big mouth ass hole is a very consistent trait of Dodger fan.